Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

settings

10 Jan 2011 1:58AM
Since I got so much great help from the members here before, I thought I would give one more question a shot.
I got a little lazy for a while and went with an automatic slr, I have now returned to manual and need a refresher.
I prefer to shoot indoors without a flash(black and white film) and am having a few problems with exposure. Any suggestions on a general rule of thumb for settings when doing this.
I mostly work with 400 asa film.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

camay 7 122 3 Scotland
10 Jan 2011 7:39AM
Bryan Petersen has a great book, "Understanding Exposure" which explains it all very well. Perhaps worth considering.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2011 8:30AM
I agree with Camay - an introduction to exposure would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure they will be a tutorial on here somewhere...

I don't think anyone can just give you the settings your after as strictly speaking you need to measure the light you have available. You cameras light meter should be active in manual mode to enable you to do this. Perhaps a look at your manual may also be advised
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2011 9:17AM
Even in manual, we need a way to measure the light so we can see where the exposure should be set. We may choose to overide the suggested settings to some extent depending upon the effect we are looking for, but we always start off my measuring the amout of light.

If your camera has a light meater built in (and most do), then it should be able to suggest an exposure for you - or at least give you a warning to tell you if your current settings are under or over the exposure it has measured.

If your camera really does not have a built in light meater at all, then you will need an external one - such as this: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sekonic-l-308s-flashmate-light-meter/p1006844
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
10 Jan 2011 11:03AM
From memory, the instruction leaflet that came with Verichrome Pan said something like:

Sunny - f/16
Cloudy but bright - f/11
Dull - f/8

I think it assumed that your camera had a fixed shutter speed of about 1/50sec and that, of you were shooting indoors, you would use clear PF1 flashbulbs with a guide number of 24.

But enough of the nostalgia....

Shooting by available light indoors is so variable that "off the cuff" exposure advice is simply not possible. You will need some way of metering, using either the camera's built-in meter or an external one. In terms of the latter, don't ignore the possibility of using a very cheap compact digital camera as an inexpensive exposure meter if all you need are reflected (rather than incident) light readings.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.