Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Setup A New Wordpress Site

Carrera_c 5 271 3 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 3:32PM
Over the Christmas period I set about moving over from a Photium site over to a Wordpress site, and here's the result:

http://carreraphotography.co.uk/

Please let me know what you think of the layout and such.

Anyone who's a bit more technical, I've ran it through Y-Slow and it's currently getting a C-Grade, failing on a couple of points but I can't figure out how to fix them in wordpress, so if anyone feels like helping that'd be great.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2012 3:39PM
I have to say that this is, at first glance, one of the best looking new sites I've seen recently, clean and reasonably simple. I like the zoom and more info feature.

I think your C rating is at least partly down to the Javascript. ySlow is recommending that you reduce the amount of external java by building the scripts into the page file, be worth trying that even though it will mean more repeated code.

Couple of small things on your links page. First it's 'lose weight' not 'loose weight' (unless it is in danger of falling off on its own). You could also do with getting your pargraph to retain the hanging indent even when it is below the end of the associated image.

Ian
5 Jan 2012 7:12PM
Ha, thanks for noticing the grammar mistake. Will fix that just now.
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 12:35AM
Looks great to me. I've been a big fan of Wordpress for a while now. It's really powerful and very customisable with a little technical know how.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Jan 2012 7:11AM
White text - pale blue background?

Makes it very hard to read and some of your potential clients may struggle to bother.
6 Jan 2012 8:53AM
I didn't see pale blue Keith, I see dark grey crackle and no problems reading. Where do you get the pale blue?
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 9:01AM
I couldnt get it to load yesterday but had a look this morning and I agree with Ian, clean and simple, nicely done.Smile
6 Jan 2012 9:18AM

Quote:White text - pale blue background?

Makes it very hard to read and some of your potential clients may struggle to bother.

Can you tell me where you saw this? and what web browser are you using?

As digicammad said, the bulk of the text should be white against dark grey.
6 Jan 2012 12:11PM
In case it helps the diagnosis, I'm seeing white on dark grey in Firefox 8 and Chrome 16.
6 Jan 2012 12:19PM
Maybe the css file didn't load properly when Keith tried it, that can give bizarre results.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Jan 2012 12:27PM
I'm looking at it on a bog standard 15 inch monitor without any calibration - as will most of your clients.

I'm seeing what might be called light grey but it seems to fall into the blue end of the spectrum with white text. Still a pain to read. Plus on the home page I see what looks like an empty drop down or banner that overlaps the slideshow in the top right of the photo.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 12:37PM
Dark grey with white writing on Safari....and not a hint of blue.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 12:38PM
I've looked at it on two different (both uncalibrated) monitors now and its still the same, dark grey with white.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Jan 2012 12:39PM
I am seeing white text on a grey background which actually varies from (hexadecimally-speaking) 7c7c7c to 464646.

But - whatever - I am inclined to agree that more contrast between text and background would not come amiss.
6 Jan 2012 12:49PM
This could easily be a difference between the way different browsers display the site so it'd help if people could share what browser(s) and version(s) they're viewing the website with.

BTW - It looks OK to me in Opera 11 and Safari 5 too (my screen is calibrated though - agree with Keith that most users will be using an uncalibrated monitor). Contrast is maybe a little towards the low site on the menus and popups but it all works and is readable on my setup.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.