Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sewing machines

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi all,

Time to call on that diverse range of skills I know exists on Epz.

My wife has been hinting that she would love a good sewing machine for her birthday. She's new to sewing, but is determined to use some of her new found free time to get to grips with this hobby. She's particularly interested in making blinds. I suspect in the future she may also become interested in quilting.

My problem is I have no idea what to look at. It has been suggested to me that a sewing machine is a little like a car in that it has to feel right for you in use. I am not too worried by budget at this point, but I do want to get some thing that will last and is of good quality.

Any ideas?

Adam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Aug 2012 - 10:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

My wife has been making clothes for 30 years and recently replaced her aged Singer with a Brother machine, which she rates very highly. Two good makes to start with...

scottishphototours

Brother AE1700, available at Argos...just been up the loft to check!!

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2012 - 10:45 PM

Thanks Andy. I am led to believe all makes have good and bad models - I am after specifics if possible.

Adam

sherlob
    31 Aug 2012 - 10:56 PM

Beaten me to it. Cheers.

annaliese
    annaliese  9421 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2012 - 11:02 PM

I've just purchased a brother inovis 50 with free £150 quilting kit, and its fantastic Smile
    Had a singer before this and it lasted three weeks Sad the brother is far better build quality.

Jestertheclown
    31 Aug 2012 - 11:12 PM

Some years ago, we worked in the licenced trade and at Christmas, my mother-in-law would knock up some silly outfits for us to wear behind the bar, using her sewing machine.

It was a pub singer.

sherlob
    31 Aug 2012 - 11:16 PM

Groan....Tongue

akh
    akh e2 Member 101142 forum postsakh vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2012 - 10:40 AM

Try here
    Tony

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    1 Sep 2012 - 10:45 AM

I bought my wife 'Janone' make 'drop-in-spool' 10 yrs ago from argos for £200. which is very good. The top drop-in-spool is easy to thread through. Hope that helps.

Last Modified By Jat_Riski at 1 Sep 2012 - 10:46 AM
    crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6685 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2012 - 12:37 PM

I have a Bernina which I bought on the recommendation of my daughter, who trained as a fashion designer. Much more reliable than my previous two machines, Singer and Janone, and very easy to use.

thewilliam
    1 Sep 2012 - 1:12 PM

The 40 year old Elna that we inherited from my mother is still in occasional use. Beautifully made! Do the Swiss still build them like that?

sherlob
    1 Sep 2012 - 1:57 PM

Thanks for the tips so far. The manufacturers are interesting, but model numbers would be better still. For example, I know the Janone make sme brilliant machines and some real pups. The question is - which one is which?

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    1 Sep 2012 - 4:13 PM

We got 'Janome harmony 4035'

Link: http://www.janomesewingmachines.gur.co.uk/janome-sewing-machines

Last Modified By Jat_Riski at 1 Sep 2012 - 4:17 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.