Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shallow depth of field: are we becoming obsessive about it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cybalist
Cybalist  2 United Kingdom
21 Jun 2012 - 3:58 PM

The one rule to follow regarding what DOF to use is.....

there is no rule.

Photography is Art. Art is open to interpration. It is subjective. Some will like shallow DOF. Some will hate it. So do as ye will. It's a pointless debate.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jun 2012 - 3:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 4:12 PM

Quote: It's a pointless debate.

most debates are..... Wink

keith selmes
21 Jun 2012 - 5:21 PM

It was a more interesting article than I expected, and the comments were an interesting read too.
I haven't noticed a lot of razor sharp very small depth portraits, so I was quite puzzled about the thread until I had read the article.

The basic answer is, no, we're not all becoming obsessive about it, although apparently some people somewhere are.

I suppose it's like high key portraits, selective colour, and photos of children frozen in mid leap in the air.
All fashionable for a while, and perhaps future generations will prize them as vintage style, or perhaps they'll ponder the possibility of hereditary insanity in their ancestors.

I predict the next fad will be the rediscovery of coloured filters and special effects, they will be more genuine than computer adjustments.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314903 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 5:26 PM

Quote: I predict the next fad will be the rediscovery of coloured filters and special effects, they will be more genuine than computer adjustments

I`ve been known to stretch cling film over my lensbaby and often use colour gels for flash work, I don`t think these things will ever go out Smile

User_Removed
21 Jun 2012 - 7:14 PM

Quote: I predict the next fad will be the rediscovery of coloured filters and special effects, they will be more genuine than computer adjustments

I`ve been known to stretch cling film over my lensbaby and often use colour gels for flash work, I don`t think these things will ever go out Smile

I can take rubbish photographs without the assistance of lensbabies and multicoloured condoms.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314903 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 7:39 PM

Quote: and multicoloured condoms

LOl the clear ones are handy for weather proofing compacts, giving a diy under water holga effect Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Jun 2012 - 7:41 PM
User_Removed
21 Jun 2012 - 8:42 PM

Quote: and multicoloured condoms

LOl the clear ones are handy for weather proofing compacts, giving a diy under water holga effect Smile

WinkSmileSadGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.