Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shallow depth of field with a Fuji S5000 ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dalowsons
    dalowsons  1089 forum posts Australia
    15 Nov 2004 - 12:11 PM

Ok, I am going through an experimental phase with shallow depth of field, for which I have been using my Pentax MZ50 with a telephoto lense and getting some good results (soon to be posted Smile

However, I read somewhere that it is much more difficult to get a shallow depth of field with a digital camera. Is this true, and would it be possible with a Fuji S5000 ? I have had a few attempts and not really succeeded, but perhaps I am just using the wrong settings. Obviously I am using the largest aperture possible, but should I use the zoom - would that have the same effect as using a telephoto lense ?

Sorry, lots of basic questions, but I have searched the forums a bit and not really found a direct answer. Thanks in advance for any advice ! Smile

Al

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Nov 2004 - 12:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2004 - 2:17 PM

When playing with depth of field you need to think of the real focal length of the lens as many digital cameras say that it is a 28mm setting for example, when you find out the real focal length is 5mm for example. Generally for a given f stop, the wider the lens angle the greater the DOF. Why the difference well it is all down to sensor size.

So for your question using a longer focal length will help but as the real focal length will be quite small compared to a 35mm camera, you will have greater DOF for a given f stop. Having said that many find the extra DOF a boon so its swings and roundabouts.

sillyconguru
    15 Nov 2004 - 2:25 PM

Yes, Strawman is correct.

I have a S5000 and differential focussing is only really possible at the 57mm (full zoom) end of the lens @ f3.2 (maximum aperture), this gives a similar DOF to a 35mm standard lens at the same aperture (but with greater magnification). You need to be fairly close to the subject to make the background very blurred.

At the wide-angle end of the lens the DOF is vast, this easily makes everything look in focus.

dalowsons
    dalowsons  1089 forum posts Australia
    16 Nov 2004 - 1:21 AM

Thanks for your comments, guys. I will have to keep practising and see what I can do. Also, guess I should stop worrying about shallow depth of field and be grateful that I can get such good DOF on the other end of the spectrum Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.