Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Share your knowledge - B&W processing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Sandgrouse
Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2011 - 5:16 PM

When editing only text, title and exif details. I've put in a report, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Feb 2011 - 5:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sandgrouse
Sandgrouse e2 Member 7407 forum postsSandgrouse vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Feb 2011 - 5:21 PM

Quote: I think there's been a problem with some of the mods doing this for a few days. I uploaded a mod. to a member's image in the C.G. some days ago. He came back to me, we discussed it and he uploaded his version of my mod. (if you see what I mean) but when I looked, the tab and all the mods. had gone. I believe it was reported earlier ion the week.

Thanks, got to start my bar job soon Sad.

Hopefully it will be sorted in a day or two, until then feel free to crit/comment on images within the group or have a go at the weekly B&W challenge (that working ok Smile.

It good to see so many people wanting to join in Smile

Last Modified By Sandgrouse at 26 Feb 2011 - 5:22 PM
Gypsyman
Gypsyman e2 Member 3659 forum postsGypsyman vcard England
27 Feb 2011 - 12:51 PM

Rick , sadly I still have nothing to work on, The Colour Photo (jpeg) of the trams you put up in
the B&W Group, on my computer d/loads very small, and enlargement or re-size distorts it, and
makes it un-usable for turning into B&W. So instead I have done one with welcome on it.

Sandgrouse
28 Feb 2011 - 11:05 AM

The bug is now fixed you should be able to download and upload your processed image here.

The idea of this is for people to show how they process B&W images.

1) Download the images - you can do this by clicking on the modifications tab and then clicking download photo.
2) Process the image into a B&W.
3) Upload your image as a modification by clicking on the modifications tab and then Upload a modification

Sandgrouse
28 Feb 2011 - 11:18 AM

I've upload a second image for you to process. Hopefully everything will work smoothly this time Smile

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 11:57 AM

Rick, that a good image for mono, although I'm not sure it will be very good for showing off different techniques, as it has only one underlying colour, so you can't use different channels / channel mixes for different areas of the image. I will have a go when I get home but, Red Channel will be too light (Red = White in B&W mono red channel, Cyan = black), Blue too dark (Red = Black - or close to, in the blue channel). So it will probably be just a boring green channel conversion.

Sandgrouse
28 Feb 2011 - 5:32 PM

Quote: Rick, that a good image for mono, although I'm not sure it will be very good for showing off different techniques, as it has only one underlying colour, so you can't use different channels / channel mixes for different areas of the image.

The first image may be better for showing different techniques.

Sandgrouse
15 Mar 2011 - 11:34 PM

I've uploaded a new image for people to convert in to B&W here

1) Download the images - you can do this by clicking on the modifications tab and then clicking download photo.
2) Process the image into a B&W.
3) Upload your image as a modification by clicking on the modifications tab and then Upload a modification rather than uploading direct to the B&W gallery - That way all the images will be in one place and it will make it easier for people to compare different types of processing.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
pentaxpete
16 Apr 2011 - 3:43 PM

Just found this discussion aboaut how you process -- well, I use Paterson developing tanks and for 35mm film I mix up 280mls of developer, for 120 and 220 I use 500mls developer. I experiment with several formulae -- I have used some old D76 lately which still works and mix up some of Geoffrey Crawley's Acutol S formula rfom the chemicals and dilute it 1+1 with water -- that seems to geive good results on any make of film including the Chinese 'Shanghai' !
For Stop bath I use some Citric Acid a teaspoonful in 500 mls of water and for the Fixer I use a two -bath Fix of Ilford Hypam which makes the Fix last 5 time longer ! For PRINTS I mix up my own developers from the chemicals and use a two-bath Fixer of Kodak Alkali Fixer formula. For printing papers I use any make I can get Cheep -- mostly Ilford Multigrade but I have been given some 'Legacy' make from a Club member .. I have three enlargers -- one bought, two given free -- an LPL which takes up to 6x9cm format with Colour head ( bought), a Durst M601 6x6 format and a Durst M305 with Colour head. I usually use only the Magenta fil.ters for printing VC papers. I can do 20x16" exhibition sizes or 16x12" easily in dishes. For small 6x4" prints I devlop 10 at a time using the 'Interleaving' method.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Having just seen the mod task set by Sandgrouse I decided to have a go at doing something different.

I like the idea of doing mods so can someone else upload a picture for us to play with. As a non E2 member I can't ask for mods on my pictures but I'm willing to have a go at what others upload.

This is a good group but it seems to be falling off the radar due to lack of posts, so come on you mono workers keep adding comments here to keep it alive.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

why not upload photos into this thread?

you can do that in the forum now

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

You are right Ade. It makes sense to add pictures to this thread rather than see them get lost as mods in a link.

Perhaps posting pictures here will help to keep the group a bit more upfront. I do find the various subgroups rather offputting.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

I was looking forward to seeing all the variations in people's processing and looked through 3 pages of the thread and saw nothing

I couldn't be bothered to go looking elsewhere for them - I think you've got to assume everyone else is as lazy as me and havn't bothered either..

just upload in-thread and lazy people will take note Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92978 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

convers.jpg
This is my effort for the image conversion by sandgrouse
Lightroom used with sharpening and using the channels.

ade_mcfade
2 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Both using Silverefex pro and nothing else - just moved a few sliders around.

lrg-52351-1298739040.jpglrg-52351-1298891765.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.