Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sharing Photos on FB Bad Idea

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : for further attention by the team

User_Removed 2 155 2 South Africa
5 Nov 2012 10:40AM
http://blog.exposedplanet.com/why-sharing-photos-on-facebook-is-bad-for-you-part-2-why-the-share-and-like-buttons-are-bad-news/

I was sent this link to a blog discussing the in's and out's of posting photos on FB from a photographers perspective. REALLY interesting reading.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

This is pretty scary stuff, luckily I have refrained from uploading many of my photos onto social networking sites and the ones I have uploaded I will be deleting as soon as possible.
I follow quite afew professional photographers on the likes of FB, it makes me wonder if they realise the image's they advertise with can be used without their consent.
So does that mean that because EPZ has a FB Like button, all EPZ's and subsequently our photos sub licensed to that demon Facebook. Scary thought (well it would be if I had any worth stealing Smile )
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
5 Nov 2012 4:09PM

Quote:So does that mean that because EPZ has a FB Like button, all EPZ's and subsequently our photos sub licensed to that demon Facebook.

I read both of those articles and thought exactly the same thing.

I've never liked the idea of Epz. being linked/connected/in bed with (delete as appropriate) Facebook and all of those other pointless 'social networking' sites.

Quote:...Facebook and all of those other pointless 'social networking' sites.

Oh gawd!
5 Nov 2012 4:38PM
Well that was one of the reasons I posted the article. I'm not a legal beagle so can't comment on his interpretation of what all the legalese means but it seems pretty clear that you have no rights.
5 Nov 2012 4:43PM
I don't know either Bugs but it certainly implies that that's the case.
5 Nov 2012 4:55PM
I'm not saying the blog post is true/false, but I would confirm by reading the T&Cs regarding Copyright on sites like Facebook first before being scared off them.

As for EPZ's Facebook integration, we only share a tiny thumbnail of the photo which has probably no value to sites like facebook. And on that note, there are probably different rules regarding liking and sharing.
5 Nov 2012 5:01PM

Quote:I'm not saying the blog post is true/false,

Even the author of the blog dodges the issue of its accuracy.

What does "we only share a tiny thumbnail" actually mean David?

Possibly a tiny thumbnail of one of my images?
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 5:15PM
I personally don't think there's anything to worry about. The blog is over a year old and it's possible the T&Cs have been updated but I can't be bothered to find out. It reminds me of the panic about Dropbox - someone read the T&Cs and didn't understand what they meant and wrote a blog, it got shared and panic spread. DB T&Cs used to talk about sharing photos etc.......Because DB didn't use their own servers, they rent from Amazon, they have to get you to agree to allow them to share so they can store on someone else's servers. DB re-wrote the T&Cs in normal layman's language and we all use DB again and benefit from what it offers.
5 Nov 2012 5:23PM

Quote:I personally don't think there's anything to worry about.

Yes. I'm sure that you're right.
I'm not particularly bothered either way since I wouldn't touch FB or its like with a bargepole and whatever's being 'shared' from here makes little difference to me.
As we all know, anything that you post on the internet's considered to be fair game and might as well be considered written off the moment that you post it.
I only asked because if anything of mine is amongst the stuff that's being shared, I'd like to know about it.
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 5:54PM

Quote:I only asked because if anything of mine is amongst the stuff that's being shared, I'd like to know about it.

Well like you say if it's on the net it's there to be shared. So, I would take it that it is being shared and try not to worry about it too much. I used to worry but at the end of the day if you worry about sites like FB and even here, you will end up not using the net to it's best. I can't control it, but I can enjoy it.
5 Nov 2012 6:00PM

Quote:
Well like you say if it's on the net it's there to be shared.

Quite.
I was just interested.
5 Nov 2012 6:19PM
I think that the T & C's for direct uploads on FB are very clear - you have no rights and they can and do sell information and photos. They have been challenged in court by families of victims (there was one case in NZ where family photos were sold to a newspaper) and their T & C's were upheld by the court. Even the so-called privacy settings don't protect your rights or privacy.
779HOB
2 1.1k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 6:49PM

Quote:They have been challenged in court by families of victims (there was one case in NZ where family photos were sold to a newspaper) and their T & C's were upheld by the court.

Interesting when was this - I'd like to read up on that. Is there a link to any info please.