Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sharing Photos on FB Bad Idea

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: for further attention by the team
mikehit
mikehit  56540 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 9:28 AM

You were claiming that FB sold photos as a revenue stream. All those links are about accounts being hijacked which is a different matter altogether.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Nov 2012 - 9:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101408 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 10:48 AM

Quote: So yeah if you want to have a 'head in the sand / it won't happen to me' approach to this - fine by me, but I'm going to carry on keeping my private stuff off the web.

Which is your choice but when you started this thread you tried to educate us with hearsay and storys you can not substantiate and adding to the hystaria, everything on the net has a risk factor, if you dont want to take any risks then turn your computer off and disconect it from the web.

User_Removed
8 Nov 2012 - 10:53 AM

It is nice of you trying to educate us but much prefer you did it with verifiable facts rather than the way you're doing it. These bloggers might be right, the NZ story might be true but I'd be daft to believe it any more than the other crackpot stuff that gets posted online with nothing to back it up.

User_Removed
8 Nov 2012 - 11:47 AM

1. I don't care what you do, if you want to ignore the risks go right ahead - that's your problem.

2. I merely stated why I am cautious online - when that was questioned I provided proof as to why I'm cautious - ie the reasons for being cautious are not all just fearmongering rumours and/or made up, nor is it as far and few inbetween as many want to believe it is.

3. I posted the original blog post because I thought it was A. interesting B. potentially pertinent. Again if it isn't something people want to discuss fine.

4. I'm done with discussing this. I've said how I feel and supported why I feel that way. If you don't feel the same way that's fine, you just don't have a right to pooh pooh how I feel because you don't agree.

paulcookphotography

I know its a bit of a generalisation, but you tend to find that the ones worried about image theft are the ones who dont actually sell images online or have much of an online presence. It seems to be more of a principle arguement form that side of the fence.

While i rarely post any serious work directly on Facebook or other social media sites, i do post links to images that have right-click disabled and/or visual watermarks (this does not stop images from being 'stolen' or blogged elsewhere, however). I would say over the last 3-4 years, my sales, commissions and other works have increased by about 60% through social media and online precence. This can backfire, obviously, as one bad review can have a drastic effect on business, but actively displaying your work and promoting yourself is a must.

So basically have a think. If you are worried about images being 'stolen' or blogged elsewhere, then dont post on the internet (social media, dedicated sites or otherwise), but if you are keen to promote your business or even just have your work seen, then get your work out there.

mikehit
8 Nov 2012 - 12:01 PM

That's absolutely fine Bugsy but you did make specific comments about Facebook's business model, comments that you have not supported.

User_Removed
8 Nov 2012 - 12:46 PM

Quote: I don't care what you do

Why post?

Quote: I merely stated why I am cautious online - when that was questioned I provided proof as to why I'm cautious

That's simply not true. Firstly you did more than merely state that you're cautious online and secondly you never provided proof to back up your most worrying claims when questioned.

People who are concerned about copyright theft and intellectual property should consider not stealing someone else's image to use as their avatar as it's hypocritical.

KevSB
8 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote: People who are concerned about copyright theft and intellectual property should consider not stealing someone else's image to use as their avatar as it's hypocritical.

Must admit that is a very good point.

User_Removed
8 Nov 2012 - 3:34 PM

Quote: People who are concerned about copyright theft and intellectual property should consider not stealing someone else's image to use as their avatar as it's hypocritical.

Must admit that is a very good point.

except that it is not an original image from disney - it is hand drawn copy shared publicly - probably a bit of grey area though.

KevSB
8 Nov 2012 - 3:48 PM

Nothing grey about it, Tthe image, although not an exact copy of the Warner Bros. version, is still close enough to the original to cause confusion. Its use would be considered copyright infringement.

Last Modified By KevSB at 8 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM
mikehit
8 Nov 2012 - 3:55 PM

especially in conjunction with your chosen avatar name.

Quote: it is hand drawn copy shared publicly - probably a bit of grey area though

So if I took one of your 'graphic design' images from your portfolio, created something damn near identical, posted it on an open forum then used it as a company logo you would be totally happy with that...

User_Removed
8 Nov 2012 - 3:59 PM

http://www.picgifs.com/clip-art/bugs-bunny/

argue with them.

http://www.allfreevectors.com/Free-Vector-Bugs-Bunny-008-769.html

or them

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Nov 2012 - 4:01 PM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104044 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2012 - 4:00 PM

What about the images you use for your digital art, are they photographs you have taken yourself and manipulated or are they images that have been shared?

As for that site, bet Disney would love to see that Smile

Last Modified By whipspeed at 8 Nov 2012 - 4:04 PM
paulcookphotography

Quote: What about the images you use for your digital art, are they photographs you have taken yourself and manipulated or are they images that have been shared?

There is a big difference between images shared (or offered) on stock imaging sites and images 'stolen' online

mikehit
8 Nov 2012 - 4:45 PM

Quote: There is a big difference between images shared (or offered)

I think the point here is that an image is being used from a 'creative commons' site, but that image bears an uncanny similarity to a copyrighted image (Disney's bugs bunny). It is, at the very least, a massive grey area as Bugs admitted, but all this is in a thread started by Bugs himself about him not wanting his images being used without his permission.

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: for further attention by the team