Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sharpen for EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
backbeat
backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 9:52 PM

i've been a bit absent frrom epz lately i must admit, but i've found that since the change of format my uploaded pics look as soft as a bowl of custard, despite being pin sharp on lightroom.

this is how i used to prepare my pics for epz, all on CS3:

1. sharpen with unsharp mask till it looked right on the screen
2. resize to 1000 pixels on the longest edge
3. save for web and devices - optimise for file size - file size 199k
4. save
5. post to epz

this used to work fine, but doesn't seem to now.....any advise would be much appreciated

thanks

phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Apr 2011 - 9:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 9:54 PM

Try this method, Phil. It works well for me and many others

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 9:56 PM

I typically resize in two stages before I upload to the net.

1) Sharpen at fullsize with unsharpen mask

2) Resize to 2000pixels on the longest side (this is from a 3600longest side fullsized shot) and sharpen again (normally fairly high amount needed, but always lower or equal to the first stage).

3) Resize to 1000pixels on the longest side and final sharpen (this is normally something like 25ish on the amount in unsharpen mask - really just a touchup to counter the resizing)

Note that oversharpening a little in the first two stages generally does not matter too much after the resizing - since resizing itself strips out data and thus produces its own softening effect on photos.

For larger sized photos (ie from a larger MP camera) you might want to add another stage of resizing and sharpening into the mix (with my 5K pixel shots from the 7D I typically resize from 5K to 3K and sharpen and then follow through as normal).

backbeat
backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 10:02 PM

thanks...i'll have a go at both of those..

phil

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2011 - 11:00 PM

Generally, you should sharpen the image AFTER you have resized, not before.

But do try the steps, Cole's link - they do work

Jestertheclown
18 Apr 2011 - 11:21 PM

Quote: Generally, you should sharpen the image AFTER you have resized, not before.

I'd agree with that!
It's very hard to get it right and I'm rarely happy with the sharpness of my uploads as they always look just a bit better on here.
I've tried various methods in the past and they've all worked after a fashion so it's probably best to have a go at whatever is sugested to you until you find one that best suits what you're doing. I find that what works for one image may not work quite so well with another.
Having said that, it's worth following Cole's link. I'm finding that that works well too.

Jester.

franken
franken e2 Member 113104 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 7:58 AM

Another option is to use the high pass filter in photoshop. In elements its under filter - other -high pass.

You need to duplicate the image first. Then open up the high pass filter, You will notice that the image turns grey.

Move the slider to zero and then slowly move it to the right until you see the outlines of the image that you think could be sharper.

When you are happy click ok. Change the layer mode from normal to overlay and you are then presented with a sharpened image. If it looks ok you are done if it looks a little oversharpened move the opacity slider down from 100% until you are happy.

Flatten the image and you are done.

I use this method for nearly all of my sharpening and for me it's the best method.

I never resize my images for EPZ as it now does it for you.

Ken

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73849 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 8:13 AM

Be carefull with high pass sharpening, it's very aggressive I do use it (occasionally) to bring out very fine detail (like bird feathers etc). Remember reducing size is counter intuitive in terms of sharpening, when you reduce image size it softens the appearance.

The original link by Cole is the one. Whilst not exactly my way it's pretty close. Just remember every image is different - as is the camera / lens used, so settings may need altering accordingly.

JamesGarfield
19 Apr 2011 - 9:17 AM

Interesting thread, I don't do anything special as in sharpening or saving for web for the pics I upload either to here or my website HERE (Shameless plug) and can't see any difference between the uploaded version and the one on my PC. Am I missing something?

Last Modified By JamesGarfield at 19 Apr 2011 - 9:18 AM
meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2011 - 9:19 AM

I've never found high pass sharpening to be aggressive, in fact I find it is less likely to sharpen noise than un-sharp mask etc. it generally only sharpens areas that are in focus and doesn't touch the backgrounds (well when I use it anywa), also you have options to alter how strong it is by using soft light for lighter sharpening or hard light for more powerful sharpening, also as it is in a secondary layer the effects can be reduced more with lowering the opacity.

franken
franken e2 Member 113104 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 12:26 PM

Quote: I've never found high pass sharpening to be aggressive, in fact I find it is less likely to sharpen noise than un-sharp mask etc. it generally only sharpens areas that are in focus and doesn't touch the backgrounds (well when I use it anywa), also you have options to alter how strong it is by using soft light for lighter sharpening or hard light for more powerful sharpening, also as it is in a secondary layer the effects can be reduced more with lowering the opacity.

I started using it after reading about it in a photoplus guide for photoshop elements. I agree that you only sharpen what you want and it does not sharpen anything else like backgrounds, skies etc.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 19 Apr 2011 - 12:28 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 12:33 PM

Quote: I've never found high pass sharpening to be aggressive

It's usually Ok till it has had a skin-full..then all hell breaks loose.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 12:36 PM

Very true. I just checked and 68% of all cases concerning assault with a deadly filter in Oxford for 2010 invloved a High Pass Filter.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 12:39 PM

I hear the Police in Oxford now have a policy of zero tolerance and will apply Gaussian blur at the slightest provocation.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2011 - 12:42 PM

The recommended procedure is to pacify with a Gaussian and then apply a Motion Blur to remove from the scene – if that doesn’t work then most officers carry a Radial which they will use as a last resort.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.