Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sharpening for big print

jon gibbs 11 147 2
26 Sep 2007 6:54PM
Hi
I am sending off one of my images for printing at 100cm x 70 cm but i need to sharpen it.I find this very difficult to get right on screen and don't want to **** it up.
Anyone got any suggestions as to what levels to set etc
cheers
jon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2007 8:21PM
Jon

I do a lot of large printing in house. What is it being printed onto and at what res. Who is doing the job?? Most high quality professional printers wil run it through their own rip which will usually make a better job of sharpening it that you will, that said its worth asking them first. Also what print process are you using ?

Dan
jon gibbs 11 147 2
26 Sep 2007 8:34PM
Cheers for replying Dan
254 dpi onto semi matt paper to be backed onto foamboard and laminated.
Was thinking about Peak Imaging as they have produced good results for me in the past.
Have converted the image to their profile.Haven't sent it off yet cos of this sharpening dilemna.
I asked them about sharpening but they replied that it is a matter of taste-i think i was aware of that!
jon
ps am off to work now but will appreciate any help
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2007 8:50PM
That's around A2 size isn't it? I usually use the sharpening actions from The light's right studio as they work relative to your output type, media & dpi.
jon gibbs 11 147 2
27 Sep 2007 4:45PM
cheers Chris i'll look that up
jon
27 Sep 2007 6:41PM
Hi Jon, Have you heard of Photokit Sharpener before? it is excellent and it alows you to sharpen for output to different printer types and papers without introducing noise
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/pk-sharpener.shtml
jon gibbs 11 147 2
27 Sep 2007 7:30PM
thanks craig-will check this as well

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.