Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Sharpness and Resolution are not Art ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 - 8:46 AM

@Monstersnowman

Another artist I haven’t heard of before : a quick read on Jeff Wall and I like the idea of what he seems to do, I will have to do a little more reading on him too. I read a little about the Mimic and it seems from the bit I read that it’s a reconstruction of something he saw on the street and the main “meaning” is a comment about society with the bearded man making a racist gesture as he walks past the other man on the street. I would be interested to know what you saw in the image, the other symbols (signifiers).

Quote: I thought I would see a few signifiers but it is full of them. Some maybe intended and some you see yourself.

I’m interested in the difference by signifiers the viewer sees and the ones intended by the artist. I would assume that the artist would include only the signifiers he wanted – any others would change the meaning of the image as he/she intended….wouldn’t it?

I have absolutely no idea about any of this I’m really just thinking aloud, but definitely interesting stuff.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2012 - 8:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
29 Apr 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote:

I’m interested in the difference by signifiers the viewer sees and the ones intended by the artist. I would assume that the artist would include only the signifiers he wanted – any others would change the meaning of the image as he/she intended….wouldn’t it?

I think that is known as an aberrant reading or decoding - when you misread signifiers etc ... I will try and find my work on the 'Mimic' image ... you are welcome to read it.

Eviscera
Eviscera  81096 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 5:56 PM

dev.jpg

This was my interpretation of the Arab spring , tried the symbolism of the Iran / Israeli conflict , the tentative balance of where the hook may fall and the dismemberment of nations flags.

The significance (or otherwise) of the components are left to the viewer to decide how the sum of the parts form the whole.

Anyway , no one gets my stuff so , Im gonna drink beer and sod off for a while. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.