Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Shifting expectations in the wedding industry

llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 8:49PM
Starting with this...

Quote:The supermarket and high street analogy is not a good one to use !

And Ending with this...

Quote:some primeval urge fulfilled in robbing someone of some money. Maybe instead of asking for discount you should just stick a balaclava on and demand it for free !

Really does nothing what so ever to lend any credibility to anything written between!

One could argue that the vast majority of money that a person spends in there life time is as a result of either haggling for instance purchasing a house, car etc or by shopping around for the best possible deal, like shopping on-line, swapping a utilities provider or even shuffling money around in a pension scheme/mortgage. In fact striking a deal or finding a better deal on the service or product you want has been a fundamental aspect of the exchange of goods for money for time immemorial and it always will be.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 8:55PM
Not the case.

Haggling for a house - no such thing the seller builds in the discount in the first place and knows if they want 150k they need to ask for 175k.
Shopping online - unless its an auction site how can you haggle, theres no one to haggle with.
Swapping utitlity providers - a terrible example - the energy all comes from the same place so all you do by getting a cheaper service is lose the customer service support and back up of the supplier ( as that's how its cheaper through someone else ) , and in the most cases don't save any money either.

Striking a deal may be fundamental to you, that does not mean everyone thinks the same way. Some of us look for the product or service to be right first and then worry about the cost.
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 9:05PM
I want and invariably get the product or service that I want at the very best price I can get it.

If you read my post I said by either haggling or shopping around, you have offered nothing to counter that argument, every business has to operate in the 'market place' defined by it's customer base, if it does not it will go out of business!

'Striking a deal' or as I prefer to refer to it 'getting the best deal possible' is fundamental to human kind, it always has been and always will be, if you think that is ever going to change you are deluded.

BTW I love the way you ignore the fact that you provided the worst analogy possible but persist on questioning others!

rob·ber·y The felonious taking of personal property from someone using force or the threat of force.
15 Sep 2013 9:08PM

Quote:I want and invariably get the product or service that I want at the very best price I can get it.
= deluded
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
15 Sep 2013 9:12PM
People can hire bands for weddings

if the "band" was "Fred and the Piss heads from the bull" would you expect them to play for the same money as the irish "band" U2 at a wedding?

They are both bands

They will both play for the same time

They may even play the same songs

Not all bands are the same

Not all photographers are the same

Not all photographers charge the same

Not all bands charge the same

Set the price - stand by it - be flexible, if they want a discount - reduce the deliverables....? Maybe less hours? Maybe less delivered photos?
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 9:13PM

Quote:I want and invariably get the product or service that I want at the very best price I can get it. = deluded

You seem to be making personal slights as you have you have no position to argue from, please support your statement as I have with all of my statements!
15 Sep 2013 9:16PM
... and thats my point Ade, people think they are getting discounts when in reality they are getting a reduction in service. I offer reduced hours etc in our packages for those on a budget so when someone comes along and asks for a discount we can then discuss what parts of the service they would like to forego to keep within budget, strangely enough this normally results in a booking of the original package.

Price is also something that is seen as differentiating a service, not always the case but humans just think that way ! If its dearer its better.
15 Sep 2013 9:20PM

Quote:You seem to be making personal slights as you have you have no position to argue from, please support your statement as I have with all of my statements!

Oh sorry, you win. Should come as no surprise as you always get what you want. rofl
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 9:22PM

Quote:Set the price - stand by it - be flexible, if they want a discount - reduce the deliverables....? Maybe less hours? Maybe less delivered photos?

Or if indeed the market place is becoming used to discounted product then raise your price and build in a discount, if someone does not ask you have improved your business and raised your margin, if they do you have a potential starting point to secure the deal!

I'm not saying one business model is better than the other, all businesses are different and quite often those that are the most successful in business are that because they are great at doing business and not necessarily the greatest in the field in which their business operates... All I am saying is that the notion of asking for a discount is not something that any company should be offended by!

There have been statements that have indicated that have said that asking for a discount is immoral, there has been one person who has made an analogy between that and robbery and someone else that said that offering a discount 'degrades' your work.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
15 Sep 2013 9:24PM
If I go to the bar with £2 I will not get a pint

I will have to get a half

which is less than I'd have liked - but all I can afford.
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 9:24PM

Quote:You seem to be making personal slights as you have you have no position to argue from, please support your statement as I have with all of my statements!

Oh sorry, you win. Should come as no surprise as you always get what you want. rofl

Nice get out, I perfectly happy to engage in a sensible conversation and argue my point of view, but if you wish to not engage then I wish you a good evening!
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 9:25PM

Quote:If I go to the bar with £2 I will not get a pint

I will have to get a half

which is less than I'd have liked - but all I can afford.

Or you go to a different bar and enjoy a pint?

Ok, I am being silly now, it's been a while since I have bought a pint in the UK Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
15 Sep 2013 9:33PM
I think you can get a pint under £2 in Sam Smith's bars actually...

interesting clientèle in most of those though - handy if you've a smack habit

Most asset managers I've worked for ask for a discount... throw them 5-10% and they usually give the thumbs up Wink

But those jobs are usually less well defined than a wedding... a wedding is something you can quantify. Shooting 1 building can be very different to another... etc.
cuffit e2
8 190 2 England
16 Sep 2013 12:40AM
This all seems to be getting personal when the majority, if not all of comments support the professional approach taken by members here; it is the link with being approached for discount and the associated stigma that seems odd for professionals who must deal with this all the time. My analogy with the supermarket probably wasn't the wisest but it reflects the shift in a business model rather than the plusses or minuses and what we think of them and the effects on the high street. A new example. Low cost airlines are starting to ramp up luggage charges and British Airways have also started to charge on certain flights: customer response - send luggage ahead to Europe by courier, it works out a little less at present than the aircraft hold for 20 kilos. Whether this will catch on is immaterial, human beings will try and find ways of getting things cheaper or more efficiently, while traders, professional or otherwise, will try and continue to make a profit in some way or other or leave the market.

Would I walk into the pub and ask for discount off a pint? No because that is not industry practice or acceptable behaviour in a pub, but I could go to the supermarket and buy cheap beer and drink it in splendid isolation or with mates if I preferred, or I could go to a high street pub over the local because they have higher volume and lower prices; however, I prefer the local and accept the higher price and every now and again the landlord offers one on the house. No discount overseas for car hire - there are only 2 options, take it or leave it as there is no way to influence the market but they clearly still hire cars because they don't seem to have competition - a cartel, if you'll pardon the awful line! If all customers though could somehow boycott the hire car firm(s) and use bicycles (I know that is improbable and impractical) or agree not to hire cars - the business model of the car hire firms would shift.

A discount is actually a reduction in service Pulsar69 writes and the meeting will determine the level of service and the price when the customer has defined what they want, or are prepared to accept given their budget. I have say that this seems clear, good business practice and entirely reasonable and both photographer and customer can call a halt right there if necessary, but hopefully not. So saying something along the lines 'I cannot offer you a discount but I can explain how the service can be varied depending on your budget; however, the quality of the images will still be excellent' takes us back to the original call, the meeting due with the customer and a delighted bride and groom in due course.

Why are we all writing?
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
16 Sep 2013 8:00AM

Quote:Once you start discounting you are degrading your work as well as yourself. Someone said if you go to buy a car you always ask for a discount, well yes, but try getting a discount on one in Tenerife.... NO CHANCE. Not one dealership would give me a discount.

Just to be clear, you're OK about asking others for discount, but asking you for a discount degrades you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.