Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Shocking England Performance

Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
19 Jun 2010 10:46AM
This is really an off topic subject but thought it may turn into a healthy debate one!

Sky-plussed the game last night & just watched it this morning with my lad - what an absolute shocker. Ended up fast forwarding much of it. Gerrard for once was completely uninspired and God only knows why Heskey was left on for as long as he was. James was a sensible change for obvious reasons but why doesn't Capello just play Rooney alone up front with Gerrard behind?

I'm no big England fan but I want to see them play as I know they can - at the moment they look as if they'll need some luck to get through. Will Capello listen to his detractors and ditch the 4-4-2? The blame game has already started with the manager being the number one target (deja-vu!). They are the only UK team in the competition and I'd like to see them get through but I also want to see good football from them which last night was far from evident.

Spain to win for me.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
19 Jun 2010 11:02AM
Appears to me that quite a few teams are not playing as well as they should be, prime example being France.

I am not all that surprised because their performances in the "warm up" friendly games did not give me good vibes, but the excuses were "it is only a friendly" and now it is for real nothing appears to have improved.
In fact they probably played worse last night !!
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
19 Jun 2010 11:17AM
A view from the outside.

It always amazes me (although based on past evidence it shouldn't) why the English allow this to happen time and time again. On paper, England have a very strong team and should certainly be considered as serious contenders but over the months leading up to the World Cup the press and other media have whipped up an atmosphere (frenzy, even) where it seems that the outcome is a foregone conclusion. This gives huge expectation to the public; places massive pressure on the squad (because they know what the press and public will say if they perform badly) and is utterly disrespectful (and a motivating factor) to the opposition. The USA, Slovenia and Algeria are in the competition on merit and are no mugs. Yet from the moment the draw was made the only apparently unresolved issue was the precise margin of England's victories over all 3.

The press of course love all of this. They create a feeding frenzy for news of the squad (and sell more copies as a result) and then give the guilty parties a kicking when they fail to perform to expectation (and sell more copies as a result). Now, I know there is no chance of this happening but just for once would it not be a good idea to turn the pressure down, recognise that England do not have a god-given right to win and that if the manager and players were just allowed to get on with their jobs out-with the glare of constant, unremitting and invasive press coverage they might just perform as they are undoubtedly capable of doing.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Jun 2010 11:17AM
This is what happens when you pay players so much money, They have nothing to strive for anymore.....!

For real talent look towards the poorer nations, Where the players are driven by the need to succeed.....!!
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
19 Jun 2010 11:44AM
Although I live in Wales I do support the England team.

They appeared to be too scared to take chances yesterday. They are bound to be under pressure but so are all the other teams competing.
For months now we've heard Roony will win it for us! The manager is as good as Alf Ramsy was and we must be favourites etc. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again " when they play at club level they are very good but they always seem to lose self- belief when they get to competitions like the world cup!" why is this?

Perhaps they will win the last match and go on and win it but on current form they will be home soon.

I was talking to someone recently who said " These players play in the premier league and its considered to be the best and most exciting league in the world!"

It probably is but what would it be like if you removed all the foreign players and just had home grown players in it? (assuming there were enough good enough?)

Ken
funkeldink e2
11 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2010 12:03PM
worst team in the tournament .. lazy and lacking passion
User_Removed 7 485 13 England
19 Jun 2010 12:06PM
i am so angry with last nights and for the matter last weeks performance against the USA that i can barely bring myself to talk about it. Suffice to say that the media and for that matter a lot of "football people" said what a genius Capello is and what a master tactician.

Why then, is he playing the same 11 players that Eriksson picked, minus injuries, and getting an even worse performance from them.

Never, has so little been done, with so much, by so many (copyrighted TongueWink )
gary900r e2
10 474 England
19 Jun 2010 12:12PM
Quote of the day.

"Disgraceful. Embarrassing stuff. Pathetic really. No vision, no
chances created, up against a dodgy keeper and never put him under
pressure.

I mean, if they can't beat that hopeless, clueless shower, then
Algeria don't deserve to go through"
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England

Quote:worst team in the tournament .. lazy and lacking passion

You obviously did not see the French games.... believe me their performances / attitude / team spirit was far worse, in fact completely non-existent ! !
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
I do feel as though we are watching Mike Bassett England Manager coming to real life
19 Jun 2010 12:13PM
What's this about? is there a football match somewhere? Smile
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2010 12:18PM
Interesting comment from David James this morning stating that they weren't told the team selection until 5 minutes before they got on the bus, which completely flies in the face of good preparation. James was clearly unimpressed with the conduct of the manager. Even Steve MacClaren was never that remiss.
MarkBauer e2
4 127 1
19 Jun 2010 12:32PM
Well, the good news is that England are currently leading Australia 21-20 in a real sport Wink
User_Removed 5 718 9 England
19 Jun 2010 12:43PM
I wont pretend to know anything about footy, but even i can see that England lack something.

Rooney, not even 30 yet is he? Last night he looked more like 45, he is so unfit!

The housewives fav Stevie G looked lost last night, his spirit was not there, in fact the entire squad were so poor they make Heskey look good, thats when you know things are bad.

Im not even sure we will beat Slovenia, they played a good game the other day, was it Germany? I thought they looked pretty good, compared to our team anyway.

Like i said though, i know diddley about the game, but i know what looks good and what dont, and england certainly didnt look good.

I feel sorry for all the fans who travelled to SA, the england team dont deserve their support if their going to play like a load of fannys, they want to stop making commercials for tv and actually concentrate on whats important.
monkeygrip e2
6 574 6 England
19 Jun 2010 1:16PM
If you know anything about football at all you realize that a team made of very similar players are going move around the pitch in exactly the same way.

That is why the best sides in the world have the un sung hero doing the hard work and letting the superstars express themselves.

We need to get real these guys all earn their money being the superstars in a working unit. The newspapers then pick the side from reputation and not players who would be the best team the manager plays these players for fear of press related murder and when it all goes wrong he takes the fall.

It wasn't a discraseful performance it was exactly the outcome expected.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.