Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shooting a young woman

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

julesm
julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2012 - 6:44 PM

Not literally of course, but my latest client to be is a young 18 year girl who want me to do some Lifestyle shoots for her at her home, while her parents are at work. Its apparently so she can have some pics for them for christmas. Now, I dont usually like to work alone with young girls for all the obvious reasons, so my partner is coming a long to help with the shoot.

Is there anything else I shoudl be making sure of? I only ask as my partner raised her concern about the whole thing as shes new to helping me, and wonders if we are opening ourselves up to trouble by visiting this 18year old on her own. I di think I should suggest to the girl that she invites someone else along for her own peice of mind, but Im still not sure how that helps us if she/they decided to cause trouble.

I dont for one minute expect trouble, no more than any tradeperson does, when working at peoples homes, but I'm curious what otheres think?

Kind regards
Jules

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2012 - 6:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
16 Nov 2012 - 6:54 PM

If I thought this way about doing photography for people I just would't bother, I can understand where you're coming from but you seem extra wary & suspicious.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104043 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2012 - 7:12 PM

I'd be a bit wary as well Jules, how about suggesting to her that she brings another family member in on her surprise and that they are there for the shoot as a chaperone, maybe ask for proof of ID as well.

I think the other reason I'd be cautious is that she is inviting you into someone else's home (albeit her parents) without their knowledge.

I think you are wise to take your partner with you as well.

mikehit
mikehit  56535 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2012 - 7:17 PM

It sounds like a Christmas present for her parents so you don't want to insist they are there, and the photos are highly unlikely to be risque so it is feasible to have her ask a friend of hers to be there (you could suggest it will also help her relax if there is someone she knows to talk with).
But I agree - she is 18, in her parent's house and you are being invited in so you should not be getting too over-suspicious. You could make it clear that your wife will be there to assist and you could ask her to sign a model release so at least you have evidence she asked you over, and signing a piece of paper may help set a frame of mind for the shoot.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41208 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2012 - 7:36 PM

I'd ask her to have a friend or family member there as well, you cannot be too cautious. It sounds like paranoia, but one accusation, one false comment, and you will have your good name destroyed, whatever the truth of the matter.

Btw, I would get her to sign a model release anyway..if she's 18, she can sign for herself. You never know, you might end up with that killer image!

Nick

julesm
16 Nov 2012 - 8:53 PM

Thanks All, I shall suggest she invites someone along, but will take along a model release for her to sign anyway.

Regards
Jules

Spencer1966
16 Nov 2012 - 9:14 PM

I think your doing it the right way - I would perhaps ask for proof of date of birth also just to be safe.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
16 Nov 2012 - 9:32 PM

Maybe it's to late for Sir Jimmy to be chaperone Wink

On a serious note some good advice given above.
youve seen the press don't be in the news.

779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 - 9:41 PM

Quote: I shall suggest she invites someone along,

How does this help? Surely if she is going to make a false allegation against you then all you are doing is asking her to invite a wittiness to corroborate her story. If you're seriously worried I wouldn't do the job. She can't be paying you enough for the hassle a false allegation will cause.

MacroMeister
16 Nov 2012 - 9:50 PM

Forgive me, but there is an air of expectancy in the way you phrased this that something will go wrong. You say she is 18. Someone of 18 can vote. Can get married. Can drive a car. Can go around the world without their parents OK. If you are concerned that she may not be 18 simply ask for ID. I don't shoot people, but if I did I would ALWAYS insist that a witness be at the shoot. Irrespective of their age. Even if they were 60. What difference does the age make? From the way you phrase it, this is about trust between two people of different sexes. Age hath no bounds. If she were 60 I'd ask for a witness.

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 16 Nov 2012 - 9:54 PM
Graysta
16 Nov 2012 - 9:57 PM

Take someone with you if you are doubtfull
If I do this sort of work I take the Mrs it stops all sorts of questions from both sides.After a while the other half say's why do you need me to come along? my excuse is alway's because you should know how to make women look good after doing it yourself. WinkWinkWink

Brownie points and a shoot in the bag.

Graysta
16 Nov 2012 - 9:59 PM

Quote: What difference does the age make?

Ask A former radio 1 DJ

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2012 - 10:07 PM

LOL...Young or Old, Are we not getting a tad paranoid?

Just taking your partner along would be a good idea, Maybe as suggested checking DOB etc, Model release form, Goes without saying.

The problem with reading into all the hype and media frenzied crap, Is that it can lead to paranoia, That in turns makes everyone suspicious and afraid of their own shadows.

Do we stay at home and lock ourselves in, Turn down every photo job, By reading into it, More than just any other job.....!!!

What scenario do you imagine, Young girl decides to call rape for a bit of attention, So she hires a photographer, Arranges to have said photographer turn up at a house he has never been in......Etc Etc.....add nauseum......Sad

Just a little convoluted don't you think.....Wink

Seriously, A few sensible precautions as already mentioned, Then get on with the job.

Or we all risk becoming secondary victims of mass hysteria, What next we all hire G4S guards for photoshoots with girlies......Smile

MacroMeister
16 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

Quote:
we all hire G4S guards for photoshoots...

... I'm thinking of the Olympics...

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 16 Nov 2012 - 10:31 PM
julesm
16 Nov 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, all good advice, and no I really dont expect anything bad to happen, I just wanted to know if I was doing all the right and expected things, which it seems I am.

Regards
Jules

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.