Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Shooting a young woman

StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
16 Nov 2012 10:53PM
Do I have to start a new thread if I want to shoot an old woman?Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MacroMeister 2 62 4 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 10:58PM

Quote:Do I have to start a new thread if I want to shoot an old woman?Tongue

For both activities (starting a thread and shooting) I'd ask your partner first... Tongue
16 Nov 2012 11:12PM

Quote:What difference does the age make?
Ask A former radio 1 DJ

We are talking about 18+. If someone is between 18 and 100 they are an adult. If you think they might not be at least 18 you should check (ID). And whatever the age you should always have someone else with you, especially if they are a vulnerable person. I don't think you should do a portrait shoot with anyone, of any age unless you are accompanied. It's best to be safe, for everyone's benefit.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
16 Nov 2012 11:47PM
Why not just work with a female assistant? Working professionals need to include the OP's concerns when drawing up a risk assessment.

Much of my work involves young people so the studio is organised so that problems don't arise. Sexual abuse is the new witchcraft in that it's impossible to prove innocence once an accusation has been made.

A good name takes decades to build but can be destroyed by a few seconds of carelessness. Note: carelessness rather than wrongdoing!
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 12:30AM
Good lord Portrait Photography has become difficult ! , if the lady in question needed a plumber would the plumber bring his wife or her husband , if she ordered a pizza do two people turn up ? , how about if a Policeman knocks on her door does she let him in without a partner with him ?

As a photographer your job is to take photographs , and most of the time at a clients request. So please just lose all the media junk and go do your thing , that's what she wants and is paying for and getting involved in all this other rubbish takes your mind off the job.

As suggested i reckon a model release form is all that is needed.
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 8:36AM

Quote:As suggested i reckon a model release form is all that is needed.

Pulsar69 - agree with what you say above. But can I ask a question, is a form needed? I am not an expert on these forms and their use, I have never used one. But in this case the photos are for the lady to use as presents and not for the photographer to use to sell on. Or is the form a belts and braces thing in case the images are later sold on. Or do you need a release form every time you take a photo of someone.
Snapster e2
2 125 England
17 Nov 2012 11:04AM
Effectively you are a trade going into someone's property, which happens thousands of times every single day.
Ok it's slightly different as you will be photgraphing her, but as it's for her parents I'm sure possible situations will not arise.
Yes she is 18 yrs old, at which age do you stop worrying??
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 11:21AM
Chaperones... yeah, they do give peace of mind I guess, but 18.... pretty grown up?

They "may" inhibit the shoot though - the presence of a mother or friend may affect how you work of limit what the 18 year old is prepared to do...

great photos come from great rapport and anything which breaks that is a real pain... I usually do shoots alone now, not sharing with other photographers, because swapping photographers breaks that rapport
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 11:25AM

Quote: agree with what you say above. But can I ask a question, is a form needed? I am not an expert on these forms and their use, I have never used one.

Then you should. It is part of being, looking and behaving like a professional!

Quote: if the lady in question needed a plumber would the plumber bring his wife or her husband , if she ordered a pizza do two people turn up ?

It' unlikely she would be taking her clothes off for these ones!

I would certainly want proof of age and ask her to have someone else present. Taking your wife along as well is a good idea.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 11:51AM
Model release forms only cover limits to usage rights.

Maybe a simple pre-agreed/signed contract would cover the OP to enter the client's property to take photographs of them, would be more appropriate - if the OP is that concerned.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 11:58AM
Maybe get a CRB check, hire a police man to watch the shoot and shoot through glass so you really can't do anything untoward

you can't be too careful

actually - use a 500mm lens so you are nowhere near the girl
17 Nov 2012 12:19PM

Quote:Maybe get a CRB check, hire a police man to watch the shoot and shoot through glass so you really can't do anything untoward

you can't be too careful

actually - use a 500mm lens so you are nowhere near the girl

LOL! That presents a great visual scene in my head.

Seriously though. There are plenty of home services that not only involve home visits alone, but even personal contact. Pedicure, hairdressing, alternative therapies, physiotherapy. The list goes on. Do they all have the same doubts/problems?
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2012 12:19PM

Quote:Then you should. It is part of being, looking and behaving like a professional!

Why? What is the legal requirement to use a form? When do you and don't you need one?
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Nov 2012 12:25PM
It's not togs, but radio 1 DJ's you've to be careful of Wink
Britman 8 1.7k England
17 Nov 2012 3:00PM
FFS, just turn up and do the shoot, she is hiring you like she might hire a trades person to fix a rattling window. Would that trades person ask for someone else to be present, would they even ask for an age check. Not on the planet.

As for asking for ID! At what age do you stop doing that then, 19, 20? If she said she was 21 would you even consider ID or just accept she is telling you the truth?

And you bringing a assistant, who to say you and the assistant aren't both creeps? (not saying you are)

A model release can be a good idea, just for getting permission to use the picture on your website.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.