Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shooting Candles and a Model in a studio

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Taya
Taya  8 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2009 - 10:26 PM

Wow, youíve all been extremely helpful J Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

I do have a light meter and I do agree it saves so much time; I can no loner work without it!

I will experiment and play around with the settings as well as not lighting my background. Iím not keen on keeping my model waiting but it will hopefully be worth it J

Gary, I do love the pic you took, Iím surprised there wasnít much interest.

I hope the project will look interesting as it sounds; my studio and lighting skills are not very strong. If all turns out good, I will certainly post them here, thanks J

Once again, many thanks for all your help
Taya

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2009 - 10:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tezza
tezza  10569 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2009 - 12:55 PM

Quote: Iím not keen on keeping my model waiting

Might I suggest you use something in place of a model until you get your lighting and exposure settings correct then?

That way you can experiment for as long as you want and when you're happy with everything you can then put the model into the picture.

Pro's shooting paid models generally get a (less well paid) assistant to stand in to check the lighting etc beforehand.

Terry

Garry_Edwards
26 Jan 2009 - 12:41 PM

Taya,
Tezza has made a good suggestion. In fact I'd go further and suggest that you do your experiments with a still life subject.

Even for someone with a lot of lighting experience, there's usually a sharp learning curve with what you plan to do and anything that makes that learning process easier has to be a good thing.

Your base point, when combining flash with ambient light, is always to remember that you set the aperture to suit the flash and the shutter speed to suit the ambient continuous light

Richard_King
26 Jan 2009 - 5:24 PM

if you are using candles, make sure any fabrics or other you are using are fireproof

User_Removed
26 Jan 2009 - 5:25 PM

Wouldn't you know it.. just when you are having fun - bloody health and safety come along Smile

Taya
Taya  8 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2009 - 11:17 PM

Quote: Wouldn't you know it.. just when you are having fun - bloody health and safety come along

loloololol now that made me laugh! Well, I brought a fire extinguisher and no, I didn't have to use it!

I did the shoot, rather successfully, I am fortunate enough to work with a very patient model who was very understanding and can stand still for 2.5 seconds (I forgot to change it back to 1 second!!!!) There was some motion blurr and some were a little soft but, they can be used. I did have problems with the focusing, I didn't have an assistant with me, so I got my model to light her eyes up with the torch and turn it off once I had a sharp focus on her eyes!!! It was also difficult to see her because she was wearing black from head to toe, plus my background was black! But she's a pro and new were to look and how to pose!

"Your base point, when combining flash with ambient light, is always to remember that you set the aperture to suit the flash and the shutter speed to suit the ambient continuous light" -Garry

Nice and simple, of all the reading I have done in the past, I never realised this and it's so useful. I'm amazed to be honest!

"Even for someone with a lot of lighting experience, there's usually a sharp learning curve with what you plan to do and anything that makes that learning process easier has to be a good thing."- Garry

i agree, although I find the learning process exciting, most of the time I get frustrated because I can never achieve the effect I visualise and see in other photographer's work! I guess we never stop learning Smile

I am going to post the pics up next month because I have a backlog of pics to edit. I will let all know in this thread Smile

Thank so much for your help, it's been a life save Smile

Taya Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2009 - 11:51 PM

Are you shooting fork 'andles

Wink

jimthistle73
27 Jan 2009 - 12:54 AM

Crumbs - Jas has appointed a second locum!

Smile

Richard_King
27 Jan 2009 - 9:27 AM

Hey I wasnt being a kill joy. But seriously - perhaps we should have a health and saftey thread. As photographers, we deal with some fairly dangerous things on a day to day basis, even if we dont know about it.. ladders, lighting stands, electricity, and the occasional fire risk (and the missus finding those shots of a model you did last week)

JamesBurns
27 Jan 2009 - 10:01 AM

Quote: (and the missus finding those shots of a model you did last week)

I would imagine that Elizabeth would be less than chuffed if you were "doing" a model last week, Richard!

Grin

Richard_King
27 Jan 2009 - 10:04 AM

she would be very upset, lucky for me, I dont shoot models

Taya
Taya  8 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2009 - 9:46 PM

lolol this is hilarious!

Ade, nah, I'm shooting four candles!!!!! Classic!!

"(and the missus finding those shots of a model you did last week)" - Richard. Can you get liability insurance for that kinda thing??!!!

Although, I do think a thread about health and safety would be very useful, plus recommending insurers, etc. There have been times where my lights have almost tipped over, but as I'm aware of that happening, so I am extra cautious!

Taya
Taya  8 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2009 - 7:14 PM

Hi!

Just a quick note to let you know I've posted a photo up from this shoot:

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1145761

Many thanks
Taya

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.