Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shooting from the back of a car on the road...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
wotashot
wotashot  102249 forum posts
29 Oct 2007 - 9:00 AM

Anybody able to shed any light on taking photos from the boot of a car / back of a flatback pickup.

Saw Top Gear last night and the film crew were swinging out the back of a 4x4 on a london road so surely its allowed. but are there rules? also, any tips?

Ta,

J

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Oct 2007 - 9:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stevekhart
29 Oct 2007 - 9:05 AM

I'd say it's probably best if someone else is driving; trying to do both at the same time is asking for trouble.

justin c
justin c  104525 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2007 - 9:13 AM

Quote: Saw Top Gear last night and the film crew were swinging out the back of a 4x4 on a london road so surely its allowed

I believe James Bond does it from time to time but using a gun instead of a camera,he doesn't seem to run into too many legal issues Wink

But being serious, I can't see how it would be classed as legal as I'm sure just travelling in the boot of a car or the back of a pick-up wouldn't be completely legal as it isn't specifically designed for people.

Last Modified By justin c at 29 Oct 2007 - 10:16 AM
wotashot
29 Oct 2007 - 9:17 AM

Ok, fair point...

So how did they get away with it?

Some special modifications perhaps?

Any ideas?

J

Last Modified By wotashot at 29 Oct 2007 - 10:18 AM
rodp
rodp  91183 forum posts England
29 Oct 2007 - 9:24 AM

We supply harnesses and fixing eyebolts etc to a local firm that modifies pick ups and cars for filming. I think they work on the basis of making it too difficult for the police to work out if it's illegal or not, by then filming's finished Smile
Rod.

wotashot
29 Oct 2007 - 9:51 AM

Which firm?

Do they have a website?

Surely it has to be legal for them to do it repeatedly (in the case of top gear) and for the firm to sell the kits, unless its for "off road use only" in which case why bother trying to look legal?

All good stuff so far,

J

Kris_Dutson
29 Oct 2007 - 9:53 AM

Hmmmm, you can get seriously done for drive by shootings you know...

Wink

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2007 - 9:58 AM

Quote: So how did they get away with it?

Don't photograph on a public road?

doug_7
doug_7  8482 forum posts England
29 Oct 2007 - 10:01 AM

Be warned. A couple of years ago we were shooting alongside a vintage Rolls doing about 10mph. Long straight road with nothing insight in the Swindon area. Blue lights from no-where.
Fined £68 for (wait for it) dangerous load. O.K. my dear wife bless her was the culprit with her head up-through the sunroof with no seatbelt but I got the fine. I also got 3 points on my licence. I remember saying to the traffic cop at the time about top gear and his reply was they do it on private roads.
d.

stevekhart
29 Oct 2007 - 10:10 AM

Haven't read it all but this HSE publication looks useful.

Quote:
"Tracking shots
Tracking on public roads can only be done with the
permission of the police. Tracking shots (car-to-car) can
only be done from a specially modified tracking vehicle,
or from an estate or hatchback with the tailgate locked
and secured in the ‘up’ position. The police will not
normally allow this on public roads. Tracking in this
manner is only permissible on closed roads or private
land once the risks have been assessed and controls
put in place.
The camera operator should be seated with a seat belt
on. Care must be taken to ensure no loose objects will
fall out of the moving car - the camera and any other kit
must be secured with a safety line.
Tracking must not be done from the boots of saloon
cars, or from any open doors."

Last Modified By stevekhart at 29 Oct 2007 - 11:15 AM
wotashot
29 Oct 2007 - 11:26 AM

Excellent link. Thanks.

Mattw, not quite the advice i was looking for. My questions were based on actually footage of jeremy clarkson on an actual london road with public cars around him.

I know the country lane shots could well be done on private roads (big country estates etc etc. but the obvious ones in the city, not so easy to stunt.

whippetrider
29 Oct 2007 - 12:43 PM

.aah.. Jeremy Clarkson. That says it all. It would appear that he believes himself to be above such things as traffic laws such as speeding, racing on the public highyway. exercising full control of a vehicle and driving without due case and attention.

A few years back he was warned about his driving during filming sessions hence the team now race flat out around the Isle of Man in fog.

His programs are entertaining but I realy am surpriced that he has not been prosecuted for some of his "stunts" over the last couple of years.

Jeff

wotashot
29 Oct 2007 - 7:16 PM

Stunts?

Which of his stunts would he be prosecuted for?

If he does consider himself above the law, is it merely a coincidence that the film crew and production team also think this way?

Now back to my initial point... the where's when's what's and why's related to shooting from a moving vehicle.

Anybody willing to share any experiences with me?

j

rodp
rodp  91183 forum posts England
29 Oct 2007 - 8:18 PM

Quote: Which firm?

Do they have a website?

Can't remember the name but they are in Quinton, Birmingham.
They secure scaffolding in the back to make seats and camera mountings. The camera operator wears a harness secured to this or the floor. If you want to go ahead with this I can price up the harness etc for you but it aint gonna be cheap, or better still, I can tell you where we buy full body harnesses from. Please note, these are NOT vehicle seat belts, there seems to a lot of "it will be OK" involved. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly safe, just does not conform to seat belt regs.
Rod

pipc01
pipc01  6
30 Oct 2007 - 2:17 AM

I would start on a private estate, get the feel, see what you think you need, as well as talking to eggsperts,

We did it on motorbikes...got (had)some good shots of the clocks at 150mph with the blur of white lines...(yes...cough it was a private motorway osifer) and each other...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.