Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Shooting Goths - the new sport

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Mar 2012 10:27AM
This gives an interesting perspective on the Whitby Goth Weekend - Shooting Goths

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
28 Mar 2012 10:44AM
ooooeerrr.....You almost had me excited then Pete, I thought I read "Moths" Sad

Imagine my disappointment Tongue

Ade
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 10:47AM
What an annoyingly difficult colour scheme on that page - I actually copied and pasted into a Word doc to read it properly!

Perhaps the answer to annoying photographers is to carry your own camera and point it, pointedly, at them! Wink

To be honest, if you dress like a Goth and attend a Goth Weekend you are, arguably, seeking a certain amount of attention?
Miles Herbert 12 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 10:47AM
LOL Ade! Typical!

Interesting read as you say Pete, and just a little discomforting.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 10:49AM
Much worse than I thought it was, very, very sad Sad
Same thing happening at Steampunk weekends, no wonder photography is discouraged at some events now. Mind you when I read about 'your rights' on these forums, respect for individuals seems to be a thing of the past.

(I think one of those pictures is mine)
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 10:53AM
In the olden days, when people used film, there was a significant cost attached to taking pictures and, perhaps, people were more selective about what they photograph.

Now that photography is "free", via digital cameras and photo storage on the internet, it has perhaps contributed to a free-for-all? Just a thought.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 10:55AM
The picture of the photographers surrounding the girl on the gravestone took me back to our camera club "goth" night, where the same thing happened in our local parish church. Not at all what most of us were expecting, not very enjoyable for most of the ladies and many of the blokes, highly embarrassing when the church warden arrived....
Our new club secretary organised it, had not sought permission, and when I had to talk to the warden, he was busy persuading the girls to remove more kit. I found the whole thing tasteless and disrespectful of the church and told the committee in no uncertain terms.

Regarding the website linked to, like CB I couldn't read it, and to be honest, couldn't be bothered to.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 11:03AM
The fact that many of the togs seem to be middle-aged men, and many of the subjects young females, does not help the purely 'art for art's sake' image I'm sure the gentleman concerned would claim! Wink
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Mar 2012 11:07AM

Quote:To be honest, if you dress like a Goth and attend a Goth Weekend you are, arguably, seeking a certain amount of attention?

Well that's what I've always thought of the Whitby event, and the many reenactments going on around the country. I always remember seeing a really beautifully dressed (1940s) woman and asking her if I could take her photo by an aircraft. She was embarrassed and said she didn't like having her photo taken and in my mind I was thinking well why have you come here dressed to impress. But they're there because they enjoy that era / style and want to be absorbed in it, so they dress to feel it. But we photograph them eating, having private moments, relaxing, basically take it to an almost paparazzi level.

Quote:Perhaps the answer to annoying photographers is to carry your own camera and point it, pointedly, at them!

That would be an interesting experiment.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 11:08AM
As was said on a recent thread, Are you a Loner, "L'enfer, c'est les autres". I have never attended those kind of meets and having seen this it's highly unlikely that I ever will Smile
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
28 Mar 2012 11:44AM
This smacks of the same issues encountered at the Focus event.

Its exactly what we have encountered at other events, Quite honestly it is going to tar us all with the same brush, With that in mind we will probably be joining Malcom ( Gaucho ) in that future events or meets, Might be a No no, If there is the slightest likelihood that they will turn into the " Whitby Free For All Scrum " for perves etc.

Lets face it, What images of any worth can be made during one of these ridiculous bunfights, The whole thing is a complete waste of time/effort/petrol etc e

How is this problem to be resolved, More bans on photography is a likely outcome, Soon you will be ashamed to be seen with a camera in your hands at any public event, Or worse just strolling down a street or promenade, Because you will be associated with the hooligan/Perve elements.

Its sad, But inevitable......!!!!!!!!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 11:52AM
But why has this started happening - is it, in reality, something new? Is it a change linked to wider changes in social attitudes?
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 11:58AM
It hasnt just started, but they've had enough and I cant blame them.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Mar 2012 12:02PM
I'm sure it's down to online galleries like this one. There are now thousands of places like this to share photos. And in photography circles we strive to become better, so we see photos of places /events that we didn't know existed and next time have a go ourselves, and we post the results and self publicise the places / events to an even wider audience and it escalates. I've said this before, in the past we had a few talented photographers lucky enough to get published in magazines and a small number (compared with web) saw those pictures.

And not only are we flooding places / events, we're increasing the stakes for decent photography...the photos you once thought were great may now be considered third rate. I look back at the great Eric Hosking, who I admired as a kid, and his photos are quite average compared with some of the photographers on here.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
28 Mar 2012 1:36PM
I accidentally happened on the WGW once

Quite enjoyed looking at their vehicles - there was a hearse with a skeleton in the back.

I got a few shots, from a distance, at the Abbey and left for Robin Hood's Bay

Not really my bag

Seems to be another "cliché" to tick off the list for starters
The poor souls just want a weekend away and get busy-body togs barking instructions and shoving cameras in their face...

Should we hold a meet there next year....

Whitby Photographer's Weekend - Goal being to photograph rude and obnoxious photographers.... get a collection of shots like K's Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.