Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Shooting Goths - the new sport

779HOB 2 1.1k United Kingdom
11 Aug 2012 9:19AM
It would seem to be the worst place on earth to go and take photos - I mean if there are so many people there taking photos where's the originality coming from?

I haven't read this all in detail but someone said about turning the camera on the people taking the photos, that to me would be far more interesting.

Those who are good at street photography (and this goth event doesn't come close to street) aren't really noticed, that's the point, it's not candid once the subject as seen you.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
11 Aug 2012 9:36AM
I reckon Goths should fit proper fangs and bite photographers....
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2012 8:40PM

Quote:Quote: Lets flash mob morris dancers instead!

That'll never happen. Why? Because they are mainly elderly males not nubile young females! Wink

I have at last got around to using the camera in my smartphone, and thus managed to land the scoop of the century, proof that CB is entirely wrong on this point Smile
(I wonder if they're the same ones I saw in Exeter in 1984 ?)

2012-08-04-14e.jpg

11 Aug 2012 9:30PM

Quote:Lets flash mob morris dancers instead!

No way!
Some of them are armed with sticks
Some of them wear kneecap crunching clogs
Some of them are armed with swords
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2012 9:49PM
True enough, you don't want to get in the way of a Half Arkwright with Groin Action
jondf 8 2.7k
12 Aug 2012 10:34AM

Quote:But we understand what it means to be part of our scene (whatever scene that is) so understand one another to a degree. Do we know what this random person will do with the photo? why they want it? how we will be portrayed?

Do Goths and those photographing them have similarities? Goths get a kick out of looking different whilst at the same time not having to say or do anything other than walk about. I expect their increasing numbers at Whitby over the years have given many the courage to 'go Goth' - a kind of coming out? The same goes for photographers, many of whom will be attracted by the anonimity of being one amongst an increasing crowd of shooters. Many photographers would like to shoot candids but feel understandably reluctant to put their head over the parapet for fear of invading someone's privacy. The Whitby Goth Weekend is a convenient vehicle for both parties.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.