Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

shooting in raw

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 10:56 AM

I took some pictures in raw for the first time a week ago i noticed that they come with a jpeg as well ? if i manipulate the raw image does the jpeg change aswell? also i tried to upload a raw image to the monday night challenge but it wouldnt go . Is the raw image only for manipulation and the attached jpeg for viewing etcSad

Rod

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 10:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Christographer_Hull

The JPEG doesn't change if you manipulate the raw image. As for uploading a RAW file, that won't work either. RAW files are the unedited file which should always be editing in a raw editing software such as Photoshop, Lightroom or the Manufacturers software. Jpeg are a compressed file which has been edited and sharpened by the camera.

I personally shoot in both, jpeg for viewing and RAW for editing.

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 11:26 AM

No, the JPEG is a different file altogether. The JPEG is an image in which the camera has already done the 'post processing' (though you can do more on it if you wish to).
When uploading for the Monday challenge you need to upload the JPEG.

widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 11:30 AM

Cheers boys so if i edit the raw file in my nikon software and i save will it save as a jpeg ? please say yes lol

Rod

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 11:40 AM

save as jpg.

puertouk
puertouk  21056 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi, yes if you edit your raw file, you can then save your file as a JPEG, then upload it to EPZ. JPEG files are much smaller than RAW files, but you are doing the right thing by shooting in RAW.
Stephen

widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 11:47 AM

ta for all the advice

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 12:08 PM

Quote: will it save as a jpeg ?

It will if you tell it to. I save it as a tiff file which I then tweak in Photoshop and then save as a jpg. Don't forget that you have to resize it to upload it.

widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 1:04 PM

???? mmm i didn't tell it to i only have the basic nikon software at the moment wonder if it does it automatically. Whats a tiff then enlighten me Wink

User_Removed
19 Sep 2012 - 2:35 PM

Roddy,

You can't edit a Raw file as such. You can only "apply" adjustments to it and then save/export the result as another format, e.g. Jpeg, Tiff or whathaveyou.

In Nikon ViewNX2 (which I presume you are using), when you click on File\Convert File, the top field in the dialogue box is File Format. The default is Jpeg but, if you look, you will also see options for Tiff (16 bit) and Tiff (8 bit)

For web upload, choose Jpeg, change the size to (say) 800 pixels on the long edge and select the folder you want to save it to. Then click Convert

Your Raw file will remain unchanged but the Jpeg you have created will reflect the "editing" you did.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 Sep 2012 - 2:42 PM
widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 2:52 PM

Thanks alot thats a great helpSmile

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 4:44 PM

You can usually turn off jpeg+raw if you want and just shoot one or the other.

widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 4:54 PM

cheers

widtink
19 Sep 2012 - 10:20 PM

aye that was what was congusing me lemmy (Kilmister ??) it was set on raw +jpeg went out tonite after setting it solely on raw much easier to manipulate then change to jpeg Smile thanks again

Rod

Cnic1
Cnic1  1
21 Sep 2012 - 3:54 PM

With some trepidation, I think I am about to ask quite a stupid question. I know a little about photography and editing software (just enough to get myself into trouble). I took a photograph of two people in RAW/JPEG with my D90 and put the RAW image up on my PC's screen, only to find one person was slightly out of focus. I suspect I have auto-focused upon one subject, to the detriment of the other. I have tried various bits of software (Nikon Capture, Photoshop, Lightroom, Irfanview) and cannot find any way of sharpening-up the blurred image. I can alter absolutely everything else but not the focus. Other than deleting the image and putting it down to experience, is there any way of correcting this basic mistake? Thanks for any replies.
Cnic1

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.