Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

shooting with backdrops

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 33384 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Lots of good advice here on keeping it cheap and simple and not fork out your hard-earned beer tokens before you have to.

Allow me to link to a recent post. Grin

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 10 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 62053 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 3:19 PM

Quote: Love the last 2 arhb, did you take those? if so was that just pure photoshop or were any additional filters used? i guess the last one is easy to achieve, the first 2 though complicated but challengingSmile

Thanks kev - yes, they're my work. None use on-camera filters. All layer masks with curves, b/w, gradient maps for selective contrast and toning.
The 3rd was testing out noise levels with high iso on the 5Dmk2, which I think are very good.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214404 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 7:59 PM

Quote: so if lighting is a must as you say and the personm before you said, what is the cheapest way to go? for lighting, as for backdrop i am looking for something that costs 30-40 which there was on amazon which come with a bag, that fold up backdrop is out of my price range for just a backdrop

Your going to struggle with that camera, there`s nothing wrong with using compacts for studio work. Some can be pretty good and offering clear advantages over dslr`s, but your camera does not even have a hot shoe.

I recommended against a simple cloth back ground simply for the reasons of working space and creasing, the 2nd will be hard to hide using such a basic camera.

Simplest set up would be a roll of white card or paper and some sticky tape.

http://www.wired.com/video/street-portrait-photo-how-to/27609165001

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 10 Nov 2012 - 8:02 PM
kevcampbell
10 Nov 2012 - 8:14 PM

Hi, even if i were to ever use a backdrop, i would never use a cloth/sheet type of material anyway as i can imagine that would not work, at least not for me with my camera and of course having a learning curve ahead of me and just using natural lighting and the outdoors is going to be part of that learning curve for me i guess

I think what needs the most work is my composition techniques, i am hoping to join a camera club in january local to me, hopefully that will be of a load of help to me in me becoming a better photographer and getting better shots and improving my creativity for when i am shooting

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
10 Nov 2012 - 9:22 PM

So what exactly are you wanting advice on?

Are you hoping to shoot outdoor portraits or indoor ones?
Are you wanting a semi-permanent set up or one that you transport to people's houses?
Are you really considering a photographic career when you haven't even got to grips with your current camera?

I would suggest several things.
1. Use your camera. A lot. Become familiar with it so you can get what you want, every time.
2. If you are considering mobile work but have no transport, you are going to struggle with lighting, backdrops, camera and all the other paraphernalia. Consider just using what you find at the location and forget the rest. Practice at home (doing self portraits if necessary), and be brutally frank with yourself about the quality before doing it for cash.
3. I would suggest shooting family and friends on a basis of free for the sitting, and pay for any enlargements they want. That way you get experience, they get cheap pictures and you don't use your learning curve on paying customers.
4. Cloth backdrops are much lighter than paper rolls, and can be ironed, whereas a paper backdrop that is creased is useless, so you need spare with you.
5. If you must have lights, consider cheap floods from B&Q, they are only about 10-20 or cheap flash guns used off-camera, triggered by slave cells (couple of quid each). You can vary the power by changing the distance.
6. Look online at what's current, and what others are producing, then think about how you can get pictures that are similar. When you can do that, you can maybe develop your own style. There is a wealth of information out there, and you can do a lot of research yourself.
I'm not just saying "google it" but studying others' methods and results is a good way of learning.

Nick

kevcampbell
10 Nov 2012 - 9:41 PM

Well originally i was just asking advice on backdrops and i got given loads of advice, so do not need anymore advice there i guess and as for other advice, any advice in general is welcome, nothing specific, just any advice that will help me on my way up the ladder and going from a novice to eventually a semi pro or something like that years down the line

And i would not charge people anyway, if i was to ask for money it would just be to cover my travel fare which should not be much anyway, as i discussed with my wifr the other day, its about me learning and climbing the ladder for now, so its not about the money at all for me, its about me becoming better at what i love doing (photography)

ThanksSmile

ChristianR21
ChristianR21 Junior Member 1 Australia
12 Nov 2012 - 5:53 AM

Paul Morgan, thank you for that advice. I thought a simple cloth would be enough for my in-house photoshoot

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214404 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Nov 2012 - 12:42 AM

Cloth is fine as long as its easy to iron or can resist creasing quite well.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Nov 2012 - 12:43 AM
kevcampbell
13 Nov 2012 - 1:58 PM

just did a quick search on ebay and found this, now im not looking into anything too seriously or thinking about it too much at this point of time with xmas only around the corner, but say we were in january or febuary and not in november and i had the money and was willing to pay this money for this item, would this be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-Backdrop-Background-studio-lighting-light-kit-photo...

of course this was only found at the top of my ebay search, so like i say i have not done any major in depth searching or looking through multiple pages of ebay as its only november and i am not going to be buying anything like this before christmas, and if i do buy it, then obviously it would be after christmas

but anyway, what do you think of that?

Last Modified By kevcampbell at 13 Nov 2012 - 2:03 PM
kevcampbell
13 Nov 2012 - 2:05 PM

i also found this too, i remember someone talking about using a reflector, however i would not have a clue how or when or in what situations to use it etc

cheap though by the looks of it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/43-110cm-5-IN-1-Multi-disc-Photo-LIGHT-Reflector-Panel...

kevcampbell
14 Nov 2012 - 12:18 PM

can anyone tell me what they think of the backdrop kit i found on ebay?Tongue

keithh
keithh  1022561 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 12:39 PM

The backdrop itself would be fine - they are all much of a muchness unless you spend big money. The flouro bulbs are a generic constant light - who knows, but I suspect you'll be looking for some second hand strobe lights pretty soon after using them.

Paul Morgan
14 Nov 2012 - 7:05 PM

At that price you can`t really go wrong, at least if you later decide to go strobist you would have a few stands.

Bulbs will be limiting but so is your camera with no flash shoe, at least this be a starting point offering a basic introduction to lighting.

kevcampbell
14 Nov 2012 - 8:33 PM

You both mention strobe lights but i am unsure of all this different lighting, can anyone explain to me what photography strobe lighting is

Thanks for the replies

Paul Morgan
15 Nov 2012 - 12:43 AM

Studio Flash or camera flash.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.