Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Shop window models

30 Jan 2013 5:39PM
An older gent with long flowing beard stood posed with his camera opposite Rackhams in Shrewsbury today. He saw me glance at him and lowered his lens. He was aiming his camera at scantily clad shop window models! Am I missing something; is this a oft photographed subject?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 5:50PM
Takes all sorts.

Maybe his camera only had a slow shutter speed or manual focus and real subjects would not stand still long enough.
Maybe he is a photoshop wiz and wanted the base of a great creation.
Maybe he took the photo, and glanced at you to say your turn.
Maybe he is the clothing designers uncle and proud of his nieces work on display.
Maybe 20 other camera phone images were taken before and afterwards but unnoticed.

Lots of maybe's, not just the potentially obvious stereotype.

I know I look at window displays for artistic or posing inspiration - and no not just Ann Summers.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
30 Jan 2013 6:29PM
Father Christmas is known to be a very keen photographer....He was ...Sent A Clause....in his contract:

Hobbo
30 Jan 2013 6:49PM
Mannequins have been stared at and photographed for over a century. It’s easy to see why: they’re idealised human forms, either attired in interesting clothing or incongruously nude. They’re posed to perfection, reflecting eras, culture, and politics. Whether they’re creepy in their realism or artistically simple, they typically convey a strong sense of the bizarre. And to top off their fatal attraction to photographers, they’re professionally lit by window dressers.

There’s nothing wrong with taking pictures of them.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
30 Jan 2013 7:47PM
They are harder to photograph than a real life model, Well, Harder to accomplish a meaningful composition that is.....Sad

Done well they can convey something that is in the mind of the Artist/Photographer, I don't see a problem with using a mannequin or 3 for a particular image/set.

Some might see it as strange, But the real question is this, If you think its strange or odd, What on earth is running through your mind.....Wink

It might be what you think, Then again it might not......LOL....Smile
MikeA e2
10 1.2k England
30 Jan 2013 7:53PM
Why pose the question here, why didn't you ask the person concerned ?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jan 2013 7:55PM

Quote:And to top off their fatal attraction to photographers, they’re professionally lit by window dressers.

Unless its in the window of Age Concern and its lit by a 60 watt Osram.
30 Jan 2013 7:56PM
I just wondered if this is an acceptable genre or was he a dirty old man!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Jan 2013 7:57PM
Dirty old man. Guaranteed.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jan 2013 8:21PM
He was probably a street photography taking a self portrait, its very much in vogue at the mo, the inclusion of scantily dressed mannequins are essential, if you want street cred Smile
30 Jan 2013 8:30PM
I'll have try that then. Where can I find some scantily clad male shop dummies?!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jan 2013 8:32PM
Try Amsterdam, while your there you can call into a coffee shop and smoke some pot, only don`t smoke it out in the street while photographing those mannequins, you might get arrested Smile
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 8:34PM

Quote:Dirty old man. Guaranteed.

....he should join EPZ....tons of scantily dressed girls on here...not sure about dirty old men though.
....dirty young men maybe Smile
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 8:41PM

Quote: He was aiming his camera at scantily clad shop window models!

Despicable - you would never catch me doing that.
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 8:41PM

Quote:I just wondered if this is an acceptable genre

I had no idea there was a list of acceptable genres that photographers had to stick to?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.