Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shop window models

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Gillygems
Gillygems  332 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

An older gent with long flowing beard stood posed with his camera opposite Rackhams in Shrewsbury today. He saw me glance at him and lowered his lens. He was aiming his camera at scantily clad shop window models! Am I missing something; is this a oft photographed subject?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 5:50 PM

Takes all sorts.

Maybe his camera only had a slow shutter speed or manual focus and real subjects would not stand still long enough.
Maybe he is a photoshop wiz and wanted the base of a great creation.
Maybe he took the photo, and glanced at you to say your turn.
Maybe he is the clothing designers uncle and proud of his nieces work on display.
Maybe 20 other camera phone images were taken before and afterwards but unnoticed.

Lots of maybe's, not just the potentially obvious stereotype.

I know I look at window displays for artistic or posing inspiration - and no not just Ann Summers.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3791 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 6:29 PM

Father Christmas is known to be a very keen photographer....He was ...Sent A Clause....in his contract:

Hobbo

samueldilworth
30 Jan 2013 - 6:49 PM

Mannequins have been stared at and photographed for over a century. It’s easy to see why: they’re idealised human forms, either attired in interesting clothing or incongruously nude. They’re posed to perfection, reflecting eras, culture, and politics. Whether they’re creepy in their realism or artistically simple, they typically convey a strong sense of the bizarre. And to top off their fatal attraction to photographers, they’re professionally lit by window dressers.

There’s nothing wrong with taking pictures of them.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 7:47 PM

They are harder to photograph than a real life model, Well, Harder to accomplish a meaningful composition that is.....Sad

Done well they can convey something that is in the mind of the Artist/Photographer, I don't see a problem with using a mannequin or 3 for a particular image/set.

Some might see it as strange, But the real question is this, If you think its strange or odd, What on earth is running through your mind.....Wink

It might be what you think, Then again it might not......LOL....Smile

MikeA
MikeA  91168 forum posts England
30 Jan 2013 - 7:53 PM

Why pose the question here, why didn't you ask the person concerned ?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 7:55 PM

Quote: And to top off their fatal attraction to photographers, they’re professionally lit by window dressers.

Unless its in the window of Age Concern and its lit by a 60 watt Osram.

Gillygems
30 Jan 2013 - 7:56 PM

I just wondered if this is an acceptable genre or was he a dirty old man!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022909 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 7:57 PM

Dirty old man. Guaranteed.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 8:21 PM

He was probably a street photography taking a self portrait, its very much in vogue at the mo, the inclusion of scantily dressed mannequins are essential, if you want street cred Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Jan 2013 - 8:24 PM
Gillygems
30 Jan 2013 - 8:30 PM

I'll have try that then. Where can I find some scantily clad male shop dummies?!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 8:32 PM

Try Amsterdam, while your there you can call into a coffee shop and smoke some pot, only don`t smoke it out in the street while photographing those mannequins, you might get arrested Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 30 Jan 2013 - 8:33 PM
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 8:34 PM

Quote: Dirty old man. Guaranteed.

....he should join EPZ....tons of scantily dressed girls on here...not sure about dirty old men though.
....dirty young men maybe Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 8:41 PM

Quote: He was aiming his camera at scantily clad shop window models!

Despicable - you would never catch me doing that.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 8:41 PM

Quote: I just wondered if this is an acceptable genre

I had no idea there was a list of acceptable genres that photographers had to stick to?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.