Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shop window models

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

GlennH
GlennH  91886 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 8:54 AM

When a bloke collectively gives other men the creeps then you probably have cause to worry. We all paint people with a very broad brush at times, but men are capable of having aesthetic and creative thoughts that are not derived from the groin. Frequently when I've taken photos of mannequins in a window they've been juxtaposed with the reflection. Sometimes they're just grouped in a casual way that might be interesting. I took a photo of a nude female mannequin at Stockman in Paris with the street reflected. Juxtaposing statues and mannequins often seems to bring them to life; gives them a perspective; makes for a more interesting photo. But still, the people waiting at the zebra crossing behind me probably thought I was just recording a pair of very false breasts for my own dubious entertainment. The trick is not to care, which becomes more difficult when the accusation is more vile.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2013 - 8:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gillygems
Gillygems  332 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 - 9:11 AM

I use reflections but don't include shop models - must try it! The last reflection I took was a window full of paper aeroplanes at the Liverpool Biannual last year - looked as though I was among them with the Waterfront reflected too. Perhaps I should pose among the lingerie models too and take a self-portrait!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63277 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 9:13 AM

Maybe it was the fact that he quickly lowered his camera when spotted that was the root cause of the unease? If he was a genuine "artistic" tog he would have carried on regardless.

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 10:23 AM

He may well have been artistic but was second guessing what other people may think and reacted nervously.

Cephus
Cephus  92122 forum posts England
31 Jan 2013 - 12:11 PM

Quote: I use reflections but don't include shop models - must try it! The last reflection I took was a window full of paper aeroplanes at the Liverpool Biannual last year - looked as though I was among them with the Waterfront reflected too. Perhaps I should pose among the lingerie models too and take a self-portrait!

Paper plane fetish??

Now that makes me feel uneasy.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 5:44 PM

Quote: Maybe it was the fact that he quickly lowered his camera when spotted that was the root cause of the unease? If he was a genuine "artistic" tog he would have carried on regardless

I doubt he had anything to hide, most street photographers are a little shy or feel uncomfortable in the early days.

Cephus
31 Jan 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: Maybe it was the fact that he quickly lowered his camera when spotted that was the root cause of the unease? If he was a genuine "artistic" tog he would have carried on regardless

I doubt he had anything to hide, most street photographers are a little shy or feel uncomfortable in the early days.

What can you expect with attitudes like this??

Quote: I'm not obsessed with men having cameras or taking pics but, to me, it's just plain creepy taking pics of shop dummies wearing lingerie but I am a woman!.

Gillygems
31 Jan 2013 - 8:51 PM

But Cephus you are a man!

Weasellady
Weasellady  1251 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2013 - 9:07 PM

At least it was mannequins and not young children that he was photographing and he was out in the open.
It sounds like he was just enjoying his hobby and finding different things to photograph.
I remember reading of someone who photographed scenes using tiny 2" nude models and mock up landscapes and settings.
The pictures were very tastefully done and not in the least offensive to the viewer.
I can't see the difference between photographing the 2" models and full sized plastic models.
The man in question probably just felt uncomfortable being watched. I think if someone was watching me, it would put me off too.

keith selmes
31 Jan 2013 - 9:16 PM

I expect he was taking photos to support his complaint to the council about inappropriate shop window displays.
Really, it's obvious, isn't it ?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 9:29 PM

Quote: I expect he was taking photos to support his complaint to the council about inappropriate shop window displays.
Really, it's obvious, isn't it ?

Nah, its obvious, he was a mystery shopper Smile

Cephus
31 Jan 2013 - 9:53 PM

Quote: But Cephus you are a man!

With a camera!

paulcookphotography

What if it had been a woman taking the pictures? Would the 'creepy' feeling still apply?

Its impossible to say what he was photographing and/or why without seeing the images and asking him, but its very easy to jump to conclusions and stereotype

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 10:13 PM

Come to this thread late, but can't see what the hoo ha's about. Lots of people take shots of mannequins and shop windows. You can get some really surreal and silly images, and some retro images are really historic and interesting. Duh! What's the problem?

Gillygems
31 Jan 2013 - 10:19 PM

Dirty old men!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.