Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

shops in Hong Kong

ventile 7 152 Wales
26 Jul 2008 11:02PM
Hello,can anyone point me in the right direction for some good camera shops in Hong Kong???
Cheers Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2008 12:22AM
Onestop are excellent! - I'm presuming you are asking about virtual shopping rather than actually visiting them in person! I have bought two lenses from them. They were delivered faster than some UK websites.
Ben
robway e2
10 317 Wales
27 Jul 2008 3:20AM
Kea Photo are well worth a look. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kea-Photo
John
ventile 7 152 Wales
27 Jul 2008 5:46AM

Quote:Onestop are excellent! - I'm presuming you are asking about virtual shopping rather than actually visiting them in person! I have bought two lenses from them. They were delivered faster than some UK websites.
Ben

Hopefully im going there in November!
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
27 Jul 2008 8:30AM
Agree with Ben (scutter) - OneStop Digital are first class and I use them a lot. Four working days to your front door?! That's better than some mainstream UK suppliers and the price quoted is the delivered price - no ludicrously inflated, additional shipping costs. VAT and Duty is all protected too - read their T & C's.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
27 Jul 2008 8:53AM
Those already mentioned......Smile

Plus " URGALAXY " " etefore ( Hong Kong Trading ) " " Kea Photo " " The Digital Shop "

to mention a few......Just make sure that large expensive items are sold on the " No UK VAT " basis, Or you might get a nasty vat added suprise, When delivery takes place.....!
Skier 11 203 China
27 Jul 2008 3:58PM

Quote:Hopefully im going there in November!

Dave,

I think I have written on this before. Depending on your requirements there are a variety of options. As a start try the two main chains:

- Fortress, shops all over the place and they price. Good one in the Ocean Terminal just as you come off the Star Ferry from Central. You can also check prices
here .

- Broadway, the other major chain in HK and can be found on the same floor of Ocean terminal. Actually, there are a number of outlets here and keenly priced. I got various offers for things I wanted by shopping around. No, not bargaining, just different outlets had different deals. All these outlets will be priced and were happy to let me handle stuff as well. They do international guarantees.

If you want smaller boutique stores (this is HK, shopping darling!!) head over to Central and up to Stanley St. There is a great Nikon branded place, Hing Lee, just off the Cochrane St elevator.

Other places on Stanley St include Everbest. Walk up from Hing Lee to M&S. Yes, of the underware.

Beyond Ocean Terminal and Harbour City in Kowloon (they merge, I always get lost in them) you can go where only the brave dare tread, Tsim Sha Tsui. Nathan Rd is your main strip with many side roads with electronic shops. Very little here will be priced. You expect to bargain, may end up with not quite what you expected, don't expect an international guarantee and for goodness sake, check the box before you leave the shop. “Oh, sorry, that will 2000HKD for the charger . . . didn't realise you wanted that sir.”

Then of course, unless you are away for (I think it is 6 months) you are liable to duty on your way back in to the UK.

Don't spend forever tramping around to save a couple of hundred HK dollars. It's a great place to take pictures . . .

Hope that helps,

Ben
stolzy 9 3.8k 7
27 Jul 2008 4:20PM
If you're planning to avoid paying the duty and VAT, I'd go the whole hog and nick one from Jessops or from somebody's car. Much bigger savings.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.