Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

shops in Hong Kong

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ventile
    ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
    26 Jul 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hello,can anyone point me in the right direction for some good camera shops in Hong Kong???
    Cheers Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jul 2008 - 11:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2008 - 12:22 AM

Onestop are excellent! - I'm presuming you are asking about virtual shopping rather than actually visiting them in person! I have bought two lenses from them. They were delivered faster than some UK websites.
    Ben

Last Modified By Scutter at 27 Jul 2008 - 12:23 AM
    robway
    robway e2 Member 9317 forum postsrobway vcard Wales
    27 Jul 2008 - 3:20 AM

Kea Photo are well worth a look. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kea-Photo
    John

Last Modified By robway at 27 Jul 2008 - 3:21 AM
    ventile
    ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
    27 Jul 2008 - 5:46 AM

Quote: Onestop are excellent! - I'm presuming you are asking about virtual shopping rather than actually visiting them in person! I have bought two lenses from them. They were delivered faster than some UK websites.
    Ben

Hopefully im going there in November!

User_Removed
    27 Jul 2008 - 8:30 AM

Agree with Ben (scutter) - OneStop Digital are first class and I use them a lot. Four working days to your front door?! That's better than some mainstream UK suppliers and the price quoted is the delivered price - no ludicrously inflated, additional shipping costs. VAT and Duty is all protected too - read their T & C's.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Jul 2008 - 8:32 AM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2008 - 8:53 AM

Those already mentioned......Smile

Plus " URGALAXY " " etefore ( Hong Kong Trading ) " " Kea Photo " " The Digital Shop "

to mention a few......Just make sure that large expensive items are sold on the " No UK VAT " basis, Or you might get a nasty vat added suprise, When delivery takes place.....!

Skier
    Skier  11203 forum posts China
    27 Jul 2008 - 3:58 PM

Quote: Hopefully im going there in November!

Dave,

I think I have written on this before. Depending on your requirements there are a variety of options. As a start try the two main chains:

- Fortress, shops all over the place and they price. Good one in the Ocean Terminal just as you come off the Star Ferry from Central. You can also check prices
    here.

- Broadway, the other major chain in HK and can be found on the same floor of Ocean terminal. Actually, there are a number of outlets here and keenly priced. I got various offers for things I wanted by shopping around. No, not bargaining, just different outlets had different deals. All these outlets will be priced and were happy to let me handle stuff as well. They do international guarantees.

If you want smaller boutique stores (this is HK, shopping darling!!) head over to Central and up to Stanley St. There is a great Nikon branded place, Hing Lee, just off the Cochrane St elevator.

Other places on Stanley St include Everbest. Walk up from Hing Lee to M&S. Yes, of the underware.

Beyond Ocean Terminal and Harbour City in Kowloon (they merge, I always get lost in them) you can go where only the brave dare tread, Tsim Sha Tsui. Nathan Rd is your main strip with many side roads with electronic shops. Very little here will be priced. You expect to bargain, may end up with not quite what you expected, don't expect an international guarantee and for goodness sake, check the box before you leave the shop. “Oh, sorry, that will 2000HKD for the charger . . . didn't realise you wanted that sir.”

Then of course, unless you are away for (I think it is 6 months) you are liable to duty on your way back in to the UK.

Don't spend forever tramping around to save a couple of hundred HK dollars. It's a great place to take pictures . . .

Hope that helps,

Ben

Last Modified By Skier at 27 Jul 2008 - 4:00 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    stolzy
    stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jul 2008 - 4:20 PM

If you're planning to avoid paying the duty and VAT, I'd go the whole hog and nick one from Jessops or from somebody's car. Much bigger savings.

Last Modified By stolzy at 27 Jul 2008 - 4:21 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.