Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should a man pay a woman a complement.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 2:46 PM

We had a very interesting luncheon discussion today.
Should a man pay a woman, a stranger, a sincere and honest compliment.
I related three occasions in my life when I sincerely felt I wanted to make a favourable comment not of a sexual nature, to a female.
Three of my friends said its not the thing to do, (two men and one woman) and two other women said they would welcome it.

How do you feel about giving and receiving compliments from/to a stranger?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2009 - 2:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 2:50 PM

compliments are always nice, surely?

You may think there is an ulterior motive to them - i.e. they're about to sell you something, but bring it on!

as for giving them, I'm a northerner so not used to that kind of thing really. best compliment we give is in the form of a pint

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104042 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 2:52 PM

Go for it, if it's sincere, it's a nice thing to do and you'd probably really brighten some ones day.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points

Some men would probably take a compliment from another man the wrong way too! Lol! Wink

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: it's a nice thing to do and you'd probably really brighten some ones day

I'll second that Smile ... although Ades pint does sound good on a Friday afternoon Wink

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 19 Jun 2009 - 2:53 PM
mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
19 Jun 2009 - 2:54 PM

Quote:
Should a man pay a woman a complement.

Why pay? He should just give her one! ;o)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 2:58 PM

groan theres always one! lol

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:00 PM

I'm not sure, I feel very, very awkward if someone pays me a compliment, but that's my problem, not the person giving it! So on balance go on, give it, it may perk them up no end Smile

answersonapostcard
19 Jun 2009 - 3:06 PM

Quote: I feel very, very awkward if someone pays me a compliment,

me too, although its so long since anyone did I'd forgotten I felt like that Wink lol

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:13 PM

If I want to compliment a woman on something I go ahead and do so (regardless of whether Robbie is with me). I see absolutely nothing wrong in this and it is a shame that courtesy and chivalry are victims of today's society.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014144 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:20 PM

Quote: If I want to compliment a woman on something I go ahead and do so (regardless of whether Robbie is with me). I see absolutely nothing wrong in this and it is a shame that courtesy and chivalry are victims of today's society.

Me too though the young lady I said "Nice tits" to the other morning seemed a bit bemused.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:21 PM

Some may be worried that when a man compliments a woman, he's trying to flirt with her, but I think the line between the two is probably not as fine as some may think, and it shouldn't be a problem.

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:27 PM

I'd like to think a sincere compliment to a female stranger would be a well received.

My wife disagrees.

Having said that, I opened a heavy door for a woman laden down with shopping and a pushchair a few months ago and was told, "Just because you did that - it doesn't make you better than me"

I couldn't respond - I was speechless with shock. I've thought twice about doing it since.

Well intentioned gestures can be misinterpreted by those with a mind to do so.

Last Modified By montechoro at 19 Jun 2009 - 3:28 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:33 PM

Quote: Some may be worried that when a man compliments a woman, he's trying to flirt with her

There is nothing wrong with flirting either, providing the parties involved know where to draw the line.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2009 - 3:35 PM

Ah, there's that line again! Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.