Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Should a man pay a woman a complement.

f8 11 9.2k 22 England
19 Jun 2009 2:46PM
We had a very interesting luncheon discussion today.
Should a man pay a woman, a stranger, a sincere and honest compliment.
I related three occasions in my life when I sincerely felt I wanted to make a favourable comment not of a sexual nature, to a female.
Three of my friends said its not the thing to do, (two men and one woman) and two other women said they would welcome it.

How do you feel about giving and receiving compliments from/to a stranger?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade Plus
11 15.2k 216 England
19 Jun 2009 2:50PM
compliments are always nice, surely?

You may think there is an ulterior motive to them - i.e. they're about to sell you something, but bring it on!

as for giving them, I'm a northerner so not used to that kind of thing really. best compliment we give is in the form of a pint
whipspeed Plus
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 2:52PM
Go for it, if it's sincere, it's a nice thing to do and you'd probably really brighten some ones day.
Carabosse Plus
12 39.7k 269 England
Some men would probably take a compliment from another man the wrong way too! Lol! Wink

Quote:it's a nice thing to do and you'd probably really brighten some ones day
I'll second that Smile ... although Ades pint does sound good on a Friday afternoon Wink
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
19 Jun 2009 2:54PM

Quote:
Should a man pay a woman a complement.

Why pay? He should just give her one! ;o)
19 Jun 2009 2:58PM
groan theres always one! lol
rowarrior 7 4.4k 9 Scotland
19 Jun 2009 3:00PM
I'm not sure, I feel very, very awkward if someone pays me a compliment, but that's my problem, not the person giving it! So on balance go on, give it, it may perk them up no end Smile
19 Jun 2009 3:06PM

Quote:I feel very, very awkward if someone pays me a compliment,
me too, although its so long since anyone did I'd forgotten I felt like that Wink lol
digicammad 12 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 3:13PM
If I want to compliment a woman on something I go ahead and do so (regardless of whether Robbie is with me). I see absolutely nothing wrong in this and it is a shame that courtesy and chivalry are victims of today's society.
lobsterboy Plus
11 14.4k 13 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 3:20PM

Quote:If I want to compliment a woman on something I go ahead and do so (regardless of whether Robbie is with me). I see absolutely nothing wrong in this and it is a shame that courtesy and chivalry are victims of today's society.

Me too though the young lady I said "Nice tits" to the other morning seemed a bit bemused.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
19 Jun 2009 3:21PM
Some may be worried that when a man compliments a woman, he's trying to flirt with her, but I think the line between the two is probably not as fine as some may think, and it shouldn't be a problem.
montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 3:27PM
I'd like to think a sincere compliment to a female stranger would be a well received.

My wife disagrees.

Having said that, I opened a heavy door for a woman laden down with shopping and a pushchair a few months ago and was told, "Just because you did that - it doesn't make you better than me"

I couldn't respond - I was speechless with shock. I've thought twice about doing it since.

Well intentioned gestures can be misinterpreted by those with a mind to do so.
digicammad 12 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2009 3:33PM

Quote:Some may be worried that when a man compliments a woman, he's trying to flirt with her

There is nothing wrong with flirting either, providing the parties involved know where to draw the line.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
19 Jun 2009 3:35PM
Ah, there's that line again! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.