Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should I buy a D50???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
wordsandpictures
18 Jan 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hi - I must admit I'm feeling a bit guilty as I have been away for a while, and now I want something. But I'll try and upload something by way of compensation asap...
I'm looking at buying a Nikon D50 digital SLR. I can't stretch to the D70s or D200 (I wish I could), or justify the expense even if I save for a while. But at 460 for the D50 with kit lens it seems like a bargain.
Is it a good buy, does anyone have one and have any comments? Are there any serious drawbacks?
Also, presumably the image quality is as good as the D70s - should I want to submit any images to a library at any point, are they going to be up to scratch (my photographic ability aside, that is...)?
So far I can't find any serious reasons not to go for the D50 given the price difference to the D70s. All the press comment seems very positive but I'm a bit put off by the 'entry-level' label. Oh - and I'm not interested in a Canon 350D or other as I have an existing Nikon system.
Thanks, as always, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jan 2006 - 12:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
18 Jan 2006 - 12:21 PM

Quote: but I'm a bit put off by the 'entry-level' label

I would not be put off by that, I started with the "entry level" Canon 300D, and never regreted it. You lose a few features and the body may not be bullit proof, but you sure can get great images out of a SLR's 6mp sensor.

Go for it.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2006 - 12:25 PM

Better to spend less on the body and more on the lens(es).

It's advice that seems hard to put over!

danb
danb  9
18 Jan 2006 - 12:44 PM

I would reccomend the D50. I just bought it at Christmas, so I haven't had that much experience with it, but from what I've seen its a great camera. The picture quality is excellent and there are lots of features. Fairly straightforward too, once you get a hang of it, and the batteries are very long lasting. No real complaints, although take everything with a grain of salt; my experiences are compared to what I was used to before, a Canon A70. For the price paid, I'm very happy with it. Anyways hope this was helpful.

leeg
leeg  11165 forum posts
18 Jan 2006 - 1:22 PM

Don't do it!! SLR's are a money pit :o) It's the camera, then a new lens, then a lens that's longer, then wider, then brighter :o) Buy a compact and get very good in photoshop :o)

D50 is reviewed as being very good indeed. A few features missing, not sure exactly what. Make sure the features missing aren't going to be the one's you need in a couple of months....

theorderingone
18 Jan 2006 - 1:36 PM

The D50 has more of the 'advanced features' than you might first think.

It has spot metering for a start which is discussed in this thread

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2006 - 1:41 PM

Does it have a depth of field preview. I find that a really useful feature. If you have levels then you can overcome most metering issues (lets face it if you do not have time to look at the levels display then you may well not have time to work the spot meter.) The DOF button comes in handy for landscape work I find, and makes placing filters easier too.

Which lens are you talking about. I understand the one that is about 17-70 is a cracker, but do not know about the 18-50 (or abouts).

Just thoughts.

theorderingone
18 Jan 2006 - 2:16 PM

No DOF preview on the D50 unfortunately. I can't say I've ever used that on my camera so I wouldn't miss it.

Spot metering was just an example.

(I use the spot meter ALL the time for my music photography, even a colour matrix meter doesn't cut the mustard in that environment).

The 18-55mm lens I cant really comment on, apart from the fact that it's half a stop slower (f/4-5.6) than the 18-70AFS (f/3.5-4.5)

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2006 - 2:29 PM

Perhaps the DoF thing depends where you started off. I started with a 50mm f1.7 lens on a manual focus camera and used to use the DoF preview to check what was in focus because it was so easy to have little in focus. It has sort of become one of the must have bits for me. Only having had average metering in the past I have not been worried about a spot meter but I bet if I had a camera with it for a while I would miss it.

theorderingone
18 Jan 2006 - 2:56 PM

True.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. The camera I learned most from was my Nikon F70 (No DOF preview, I kinda got used to guesstimating what it would be)I had a Zenit E before that and a Nikon F60 (I never really took all that many pictures back in those days!).

I never really used spot metering until I went digi. My Nikon Coolpix 950 had a spot meter which I used a fair bit and probably learned the most about it's use with that.

Horses for courses and all that! Smile

I suppose it show just how much your equipment can inadvertantly influence how you go about taking pictures. So long as the end result is what you were after, it doesn't matter what you use.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
18 Jan 2006 - 3:27 PM

i am going digital in the future i think and the one thing that puts me off the D50 is the lack of d.o.f preview button, i use it ALL the time, i'd rather spend the extra cash and get the D70/s.

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
19 Jan 2006 - 12:40 AM

No DoF preview on the D70 ? Surely some mistake...I appear to have one on mine... ( I assume you are on about that little
button below the lens mount.. )

sillyconguru
19 Jan 2006 - 12:43 AM

Don't worry, you are not alone. Gary has got it wrong, the D70 has DOF preview (He'll be along in a minute to edit his post, just you see).

I tend not to use DOF preview, I prefer to take a pic and review it on the LCD at full zoom to check DOF.

theorderingone
19 Jan 2006 - 1:07 AM

I meant F70!! Just a typo unfortunately. It was way past my bed time!

I really would struggle to get a roll of film in a D70 even if I had owned one.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jan 2006 - 5:37 AM

Quote: I really would struggle to get a roll of film in a D70 even if I had owned one.

cut it into small pieces, it should then fit Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.