Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should I Complain? - Could anyone please advise

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
20 Dec 2011 - 9:47 PM

I ordered 30 slides to be scanned as digital images onto a CD at Jessops. I'm really disappointed with the quality (or should I say lack of it) of the images on the CD.

This is the first time I've had my slides scanned so I don't know if I'm expecting too much.

On the CD the images have marks which are not on the slides. Should Jessops have cleaned the slides before scanning them?

A lot of the images have been cropped on the right-hand side or at the bottom.

Two of the images are duplicated

Two of the slides haven't been scanned at all and are not on the CD.

I paid 17.50 for this service and wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I intend to complain about the duplicated and missing images, but I wondered if anyone could advise if a complaint would be justified on the problems with marks on the images and the cropped images.

Thanks for any help and opinions anyone can offer.

Regards
Elaine

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2011 - 9:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2011 - 10:02 PM

Quote: have been cropped

I don't rekon thats cropping at work, Thats more likely the slides where not placed in the holders on the scanner properly.....!!!!

Yes I would complain just based on the stupid mistakes, Let alone the quality issue....!!!

Don't get them done by them again, Ask for a refund, Then take your slides to a proper " Lab " .....Wink

Whatever, Don't let them get away with shoddy work, 17-50 for 30 slides is hardly peanuts.....!

Chances are you will get a better job done by Boots The Chemist.....Grin

Last Modified By cameracat at 20 Dec 2011 - 10:03 PM
WeeGeordieLass
20 Dec 2011 - 10:12 PM

Thanks cameracat.

I'm going back tomorrow to ask for a refund. I didn't think the quality was good enough, but I'm new to all of this so I was feeling unsure of what the "norm" is in terms of quality.

Thanks for your advice - I'll shop around for a good Lab.

Cheers

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5462 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2011 - 10:48 PM

Go armed with a copy of the sale of goods act where it states that the goods must be of merchantable quality.

WeeGeordieLass
20 Dec 2011 - 11:08 PM

That's a good idea rambler - I'll do that.

I'm disappointed - I expected more from Jessops.
Best wishes
Elaine

User_Removed
20 Dec 2011 - 11:23 PM

Quote:
I'm disappointed - I expected more from Jessops.

Why?

I am afraid they seem to be the photographic equivalent of Halfords, Currys, Comet, PC World and a host of other chain stores. Ideal for the mass market but not much more.

Having said that, contrary to Cameracat's view, I think the price you paid is extremely cheap and would have expected professional scans to cost around 5 - 15 per image depending upon resolution. However, that is no excuse for poor quality and shoddy workmanship.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314899 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2011 - 11:29 PM

Quote: Chances are you will get a better job done by Boots The Chemist.....

Not likely, I would not be surprised if they both use the same sub contractor.

WeeGeordieLass
20 Dec 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi Leftforum & Paul,

Wow......up to 15 per image - my images are no-where near the standard to justify that price tag. Beginning to think twice now about shelling out more money to get my favourite slides digitised.

My order was completed in a few hours so I think they were done on-site.

Cheers

User_Removed
20 Dec 2011 - 11:55 PM

Buy a second hand slide scanner from eBay, then you can digitise them all - not just your favourites. Sell the scanner when you've finished.

WeeGeordieLass
21 Dec 2011 - 12:00 AM

Wehey! Sounds like a solution. I never thought of that. Even with my very limited knowledge I think I could do a better job myself.
Thanks for that Chris

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2011 - 12:09 AM

Remember that I a speck of dust on a slide when magnified on screen (or a print) looks like a huge marks in the image. I have no experience of dust removal on the latest slide scanners - I believe it can be quite good. However, I do remember cutting my teeth with photoshop as a consequence of needing to repair the slides I had scanned for a couple of family albums a few years ago.

I doubt the quality of the scans could be much worse than described, but don't think that doing them yourself will be without effort. Similarly, this may help t explain some of the issues you describe in your OP.

Rgds,

Adam

Last Modified By sherlob at 21 Dec 2011 - 12:12 AM
mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2011 - 12:27 AM

Quote: I think the price you paid is extremely cheap and would have expected professional scans to cost around 5 - 15 per image depending upon resolution.

One Vision charge 1.30 per slide for a 50MB scan or 85p per 14MB scan.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2011 - 9:10 AM

Another quick thought - if buying a scanner - make sure the software comes with it. The repair functions of the scanner software are not likely to be part of a plug and play driver...

timbo
timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 - 9:20 AM

I wasn't happy with scans i got from Ilford a while back, really grainy (nothing to do with the film) so bought a plustek scanner from e bay. Best purchase ever! Not only do i get to scan years of old negs (time consuming but worth it) but it's given my OM4ti a new lease of life as i can shoot and dev the film then scan it, getting the best of both worlds. (my darkroom is in bits in the loft so printing is out of the question at present).

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 - 10:28 AM

Quote: Remember that I a speck of dust on a slide when magnified on screen (or a print) looks like a huge marks in the image.

Cleaning the slides ought to be included in the price, really. One nice thing about doing them yourself is that if you see dirt on the scanned result, you can just clean it and scan again and again until it is as clean as you want.

Also, if you buy your own, keep the box and make sure he scanner is kept in pristine condition you'll probably get 60% of your money back if you sell it when you've scanned all you need.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.