Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Should I Complain? - Could anyone please advise

20 Dec 2011 9:47PM
I ordered 30 slides to be scanned as digital images onto a CD at Jessops. I'm really disappointed with the quality (or should I say lack of it) of the images on the CD.

This is the first time I've had my slides scanned so I don't know if I'm expecting too much.

On the CD the images have marks which are not on the slides. Should Jessops have cleaned the slides before scanning them?

A lot of the images have been cropped on the right-hand side or at the bottom.

Two of the images are duplicated

Two of the slides haven't been scanned at all and are not on the CD.

I paid 17.50 for this service and wondered if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I intend to complain about the duplicated and missing images, but I wondered if anyone could advise if a complaint would be justified on the problems with marks on the images and the cropped images.

Thanks for any help and opinions anyone can offer.

Regards
Elaine

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Dec 2011 10:02PM

Quote:have been cropped

I don't rekon thats cropping at work, Thats more likely the slides where not placed in the holders on the scanner properly.....!!!!

Yes I would complain just based on the stupid mistakes, Let alone the quality issue....!!!

Don't get them done by them again, Ask for a refund, Then take your slides to a proper " Lab " .....Wink

Whatever, Don't let them get away with shoddy work, 17-50 for 30 slides is hardly peanuts.....!

Chances are you will get a better job done by Boots The Chemist.....Grin
20 Dec 2011 10:12PM
Thanks cameracat.

I'm going back tomorrow to ask for a refund. I didn't think the quality was good enough, but I'm new to all of this so I was feeling unsure of what the "norm" is in terms of quality.

Thanks for your advice - I'll shop around for a good Lab.

Cheers
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
20 Dec 2011 10:48PM
Go armed with a copy of the sale of goods act where it states that the goods must be of merchantable quality.
20 Dec 2011 11:08PM
That's a good idea rambler - I'll do that.

I'm disappointed - I expected more from Jessops.
Best wishes
Elaine
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
20 Dec 2011 11:23PM

Quote:
I'm disappointed - I expected more from Jessops.

Why?

I am afraid they seem to be the photographic equivalent of Halfords, Currys, Comet, PC World and a host of other chain stores. Ideal for the mass market but not much more.

Having said that, contrary to Cameracat's view, I think the price you paid is extremely cheap and would have expected professional scans to cost around 5 - 15 per image depending upon resolution. However, that is no excuse for poor quality and shoddy workmanship.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
20 Dec 2011 11:29PM

Quote:Chances are you will get a better job done by Boots The Chemist.....

Not likely, I would not be surprised if they both use the same sub contractor.
20 Dec 2011 11:53PM
Hi Leftforum & Paul,

Wow......up to 15 per image - my images are no-where near the standard to justify that price tag. Beginning to think twice now about shelling out more money to get my favourite slides digitised.

My order was completed in a few hours so I think they were done on-site.

Cheers
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2011 11:55PM
Buy a second hand slide scanner from eBay, then you can digitise them all - not just your favourites. Sell the scanner when you've finished.
21 Dec 2011 12:00AM
Wehey! Sounds like a solution. I never thought of that. Even with my very limited knowledge I think I could do a better job myself.
Thanks for that Chris
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 12:09AM
Remember that I a speck of dust on a slide when magnified on screen (or a print) looks like a huge marks in the image. I have no experience of dust removal on the latest slide scanners - I believe it can be quite good. However, I do remember cutting my teeth with photoshop as a consequence of needing to repair the slides I had scanned for a couple of family albums a few years ago.

I doubt the quality of the scans could be much worse than described, but don't think that doing them yourself will be without effort. Similarly, this may help t explain some of the issues you describe in your OP.

Rgds,

Adam
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 12:27AM

Quote:I think the price you paid is extremely cheap and would have expected professional scans to cost around 5 - 15 per image depending upon resolution.

One Vision charge 1.30 per slide for a 50MB scan or 85p per 14MB scan.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 9:10AM
Another quick thought - if buying a scanner - make sure the software comes with it. The repair functions of the scanner software are not likely to be part of a plug and play driver...
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 9:20AM
I wasn't happy with scans i got from Ilford a while back, really grainy (nothing to do with the film) so bought a plustek scanner from e bay. Best purchase ever! Not only do i get to scan years of old negs (time consuming but worth it) but it's given my OM4ti a new lease of life as i can shoot and dev the film then scan it, getting the best of both worlds. (my darkroom is in bits in the loft so printing is out of the question at present).
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
21 Dec 2011 10:28AM

Quote:Remember that I a speck of dust on a slide when magnified on screen (or a print) looks like a huge marks in the image.

Cleaning the slides ought to be included in the price, really. One nice thing about doing them yourself is that if you see dirt on the scanned result, you can just clean it and scan again and again until it is as clean as you want.

Also, if you buy your own, keep the box and make sure he scanner is kept in pristine condition you'll probably get 60% of your money back if you sell it when you've scanned all you need.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.