Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should i get the Nikon D3100?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Cait
    Cait  1
    18 Feb 2013 - 11:20 AM

hello, i am a teenager (still at school) and i am looking to upgrade my camera to a DSLR. I have loved photography ever since i started secondry school. I am not one of those silly teenagers who buy a professional camera just because it's 'the trend' and they really have no interest in photography other than taking good display pictures of themselves!
    I have got 2 digital basic cameras and a bridge camera.
    The bridge camera is good but i think i am ready to upgrade.
    I am interested in nature photography, portraiture,macro,travel photography (i want to travel the world when im older and take photos of dirrerent cultures and places), city and landscape photography and just stuff like that really.
    I also would like it to take nice pictures (good quality) of me and my friends on birthdays or each others house Smile
    I have 0 but i am going to wash cars and sell stuff on ebay. Im also going to try and get a job but not sure how easy it will be...
    My parents have agreed to pay 100.

So my question is:
    1. Will this camera be worth the money or is it TOO basic for me.
    2. Is it good for what i want to do?
    3. Can anyone reccomend any other better cameras in the 300 - 380 region
    4. What are some good ideas to get money?
    5. Will is be too heavy to carry around? ( i will only use the basic lense and maybe a macro one, nothing massive)
    6. Is there much difference between bridge cameras and DSLR except the changeable lenses and price?
    7. And finally, SHOULD I GET THIS CAMERA?

Thank you for taking the time to read/ respond to this question.

Also if you have any time, please have a look at my photo and tell me what you think on the comments!
    Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Feb 2013 - 11:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    18 Feb 2013 - 12:39 PM

An entry-level camera can be a stepping-stone into the system and Nikon is as good as any. The D3100 gives excellent image quality as well as being small and light. In skilled hands it'll give superb results.

jimbro
    jimbro  137 forum posts Scotland
    18 Feb 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm biased so it would be Nikon for me
    I did have a D3100 but sold it on ebay as I've now got a D200
    but
    The D3100 is a terrific camera.
    It does have guide mode for beginners but has the full range of other modes too
    It's 14.2MP so images are very high resolution
    It's quite a compact camera so it weighs very little
    The basic 18-55mm lens is very good and you could add extension tubes or a Raynox macro lens
    Not sure about the difference to a bridge camera as I've never owned one
    I can't comment on other makes but the D3100 is reasonably priced(esp 2nd hand) as there are newer model out now
    I'd say it's worth a go

Good Luck

shakeyhands
    shakeyhands e2 Member 2252 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
    18 Feb 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi Cait,

I can't answer all of your questions but I do like my 3100. It's light and easy to handle, has enough bells and whistles to keep me confused most of the timeGrin. Being a entry level model and having been replaced by the 3200 you should be able to find some good prices. I personally feel it would be a great place to start, then save for good glass that you can take with you to your next model.

That's my 2 pennies worth, but there are many far more qualified members on this site I am sure will offer up better advice than I

Shakey

ste_p0270
    ste_p0270  363 forum posts England
    18 Feb 2013 - 1:10 PM

Quote: 7. And finally, SHOULD I GET THIS CAMERA?

yes Smile

cracking camera (as the others have pointed out).

s/h lenses from MPB can be had relatively cheaply too.

IQ wise, it should be considerably better than your point and shoot or bridge camera due to the much larger sensor.
    there are enough controls (PASM etc) to get your teeth into too.

go on, go get one Smile

Last Modified By ste_p0270 at 18 Feb 2013 - 1:13 PM
    thewilliam
    18 Feb 2013 - 3:09 PM

One thing to remember is that lenses will need to be the so called AFS, which have a focussing motor within the lens, if you want auto-focus.

The older AFD lenses rely upon the focussing motor that's built into some Nikon bodies but not the D3100. You can still take pictures but you'll have to focus manually.

You have to lose some facilities when you buy entry-level. But more important, you get the same processing engine as the upper models and a high quality sensor.

brrttpaul
    brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Feb 2013 - 3:24 PM

the d3100 is the camera I went for as a first dslr, I love it and Im a beginner. If you look at my portfolio they are all taken with the d3100 not saying they are special but they do me

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.