Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

should i take my gear?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gary_Macleod
    10 Oct 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hi all, I'm going to Menorca for a week with the family next Friday and it's our first time abroad. I'm in a quandary as to whether i should take my dslr/lenses etc... or not. would hate to come back wishing I'd taken it, but then don't won't to feel burdened down either. my gear is in a Kata 465 rucksack so i think i can take it quite safely as hand luggage. seems a daft question but if i don't ask i'll not know.

all advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Oct 2008 - 10:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
    10 Oct 2008 - 10:51 AM

When I travel I mainly take my dslr and a 17-70mm macro zoom. It usually is enough but it all depends on where you're going, means of transport used and what types of photos you like to take. JNC

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2008 - 10:51 AM

just donr a similar thing my self , after a few hours wandering around my cam and lenses and pod started to become a serious burden so much so i didnt bother with them for a few of the days i was away. havin said that i wouldnt consider going away without my camera

BubbaG2000
    10 Oct 2008 - 11:11 AM

I went to Mauritius earlier this year and took my compact for the same reasons mentioned. I regretted not taking my D40x! Take from that what you will.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2008 - 11:39 AM

I don't normally take my tripod on holiday (unless it is a car based trip). Your photo rucksack and/or jacket will double up as a pretty good beanbag for low light shots. I take most of my equipment with me but often walk about with just my 18-200 and if I see something specific I want I go back with the most appropriate lens for the job.

Mind you, it isn't much of a problem to carry the rucksack as long as it isn't ridiculously heavy (just not to the beach Smile)

Ian

Gary_Macleod
    10 Oct 2008 - 12:27 PM

thanks all really appreciate it

User_Removed
    10 Oct 2008 - 12:37 PM

I never travel without at least a basic setup, including lightweight tripod. You just never know what you're going to see.

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2008 - 12:52 PM

Quote: I never travel without at least a basic setup, including lightweight tripod. You just never know what you're going to see.

QFA

i really wish i`d just took my 350d minus grip and its kit lens and my light pod rather than the heaps of gear i did take , L lenses and heavy pod etc. comfortable andd convinient shooting is a prime consideration with travel photography , i really wish i`d have bought an 18-200 lens for my travels and will be doing before my next tour round scandanavia. may even be worth considering investing in a good compact like a G9

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81059 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2008 - 12:54 PM

Take it, there's no problem with hand luggage, even taking a tripod. I've just carted mine around China on 9 different flights.

Malcolm

Gary_Macleod
    13 Oct 2008 - 12:05 AM

cheers folks

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.