Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

should i take my gear?

Gary_Macleod 10 159 Scotland
10 Oct 2008 10:35AM
Hi all, I'm going to Menorca for a week with the family next Friday and it's our first time abroad. I'm in a quandary as to whether i should take my dslr/lenses etc... or not. would hate to come back wishing I'd taken it, but then don't won't to feel burdened down either. my gear is in a Kata 465 rucksack so i think i can take it quite safely as hand luggage. seems a daft question but if i don't ask i'll not know.

all advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

When I travel I mainly take my dslr and a 17-70mm macro zoom. It usually is enough but it all depends on where you're going, means of transport used and what types of photos you like to take. JNC
boony 7 978 3 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 10:51AM
just donr a similar thing my self , after a few hours wandering around my cam and lenses and pod started to become a serious burden so much so i didnt bother with them for a few of the days i was away. havin said that i wouldnt consider going away without my camera
BubbaG2000 7 767 1
10 Oct 2008 11:11AM
I went to Mauritius earlier this year and took my compact for the same reasons mentioned. I regretted not taking my D40x! Take from that what you will.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 11:39AM
I don't normally take my tripod on holiday (unless it is a car based trip). Your photo rucksack and/or jacket will double up as a pretty good beanbag for low light shots. I take most of my equipment with me but often walk about with just my 18-200 and if I see something specific I want I go back with the most appropriate lens for the job.

Mind you, it isn't much of a problem to carry the rucksack as long as it isn't ridiculously heavy (just not to the beach Smile)

Ian
10 Oct 2008 12:27PM
thanks all really appreciate it
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 12:37PM
I never travel without at least a basic setup, including lightweight tripod. You just never know what you're going to see.
boony 7 978 3 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2008 12:52PM

Quote:I never travel without at least a basic setup, including lightweight tripod. You just never know what you're going to see.

QFA

i really wish i`d just took my 350d minus grip and its kit lens and my light pod rather than the heaps of gear i did take , L lenses and heavy pod etc. comfortable andd convinient shooting is a prime consideration with travel photography , i really wish i`d have bought an 18-200 lens for my travels and will be doing before my next tour round scandanavia. may even be worth considering investing in a good compact like a G9
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
10 Oct 2008 12:54PM
Take it, there's no problem with hand luggage, even taking a tripod. I've just carted mine around China on 9 different flights.

Malcolm
13 Oct 2008 12:05AM
cheers folks

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.