Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SHOULD I UPGRADE MY KIT??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lgc
lgc  1062 forum posts England
28 Oct 2005 - 5:32 PM

IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT TRADING IN MY CANON 300D FOR A 350D, MOST OF MY PHOTOGRAPHY IS SURF ORIENTATED AND I WAS THINKING OF INVESTING IN A NEW 350D OR UPGRADING MY CANON 75-300MM LENS FOR A MORE POWERFUL ONE. THE PROBLEM IVE BEEN HAVING IS THE AUTO FOCUS MOTOR ON THE ZOOM LENS, IT DOESNT SEEM TO KEEP UP WITH THE SURFERS,THE LENS KEEPS ZOOMING OUT OF FOCUS AT CRUCIAL MOMENTS AND ITS REALLY GETTING TO ME, NEARLY CHUCKED THE WHOLE LOT IN THE SEA THE OTHER DAY WHEN I LOST TWO PERFECT TUBES BEING SURFED!!IM NOT SURE WHETHER IM BETTER OFF STICKING TO THE 300D FOR A WHILE LONGER AND CHANGING THE LENS INSTEAD. ITS A REAL HEAD SCRATCHER FOR ME!! ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Oct 2005 - 5:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 - 5:41 PM

better to get a new lens i would think, check out some reviews on various lenses that interest you, some are faster focusing than others.

you could always get a Nikon Wink

stevieb
stevieb  102994 forum posts Panama2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2005 - 6:38 PM

You could always try surfing. It gives a different perspective,

davidbailie
davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2005 - 7:53 PM

I think you should SHOUT - more folks would hear you - beyond that upgrade your lens - you'll never regret it - spend real money - 'L' series

Dave

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2005 - 9:04 PM

Ever tried focussing manually?

JB

Burgy_Tog
Burgy_Tog  10634 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2005 - 11:10 PM

Double posting is good. Make everyone experience Deja Vu is good, Caps Lock is Bad.

ziggy
ziggy  12194 forum posts England
28 Oct 2005 - 11:19 PM

Your'e right in thinking about the camera...the digic11 processor in the camera processes the information a lot faster than the 300d....why not take your camera and long lens down to your local dealer and try focusing close then long, and seeing the difference..aw shucks...just buy both
roger

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2005 - 11:56 PM

Roger, the 300D may process info slower but the AF is the same speed, so the ability to track the subject will be the same. The difference will be in the number of frames you can fill the buffer. In this case, having tried the lens, the lens is the biger part of the problem.

Go MF and save the money, using the same kit.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
29 Oct 2005 - 1:15 AM

I think a change of lens is a better option than the change of body. I have a Canon 400mm f5.6 that has lightning fast AF when used on my 300D. It does not have IS but used with a monopod would make a super lens for surfing shots.

Have a look at this guys surfing shots using that lens.

keith selmes
29 Oct 2005 - 1:37 AM

In line with the gentle hints above, take the caps lock off, it hurts.

The lens will be the main problem, it is slow, I used to have one.
I don't think a 350d will help. It has some extra features and MP, but I don't think the AF is any different.

I know almost nothing about surfing, so would hesitate to give advice, but...
Do try manual focus, it might save spending more money.

Getting a much more expensive L grade zoom lens would be a big improvement, and a much more expensive camera would round it off.

As a halfway option, consider an EF100-300 1:4.5-5.6 USM.
Its optically and mechanically superior to the 75-300, and the motor is faster. Save money and buy used.

You might consider getting an L grade prime lens, more cost effective than a zoom, but I suspect you do need the zoom for surfing.

keith selmes
29 Oct 2005 - 1:43 AM

Actually, heres the answer, 600mm F4 on a very strong tripod. (Paul Frosts portfolio)

A 300 F4L might be usable ?

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2005 - 11:26 AM

you really need the 600mm for both the focus speed andthe resoloution it brings
also the 350d isnt the fastest to keep up with surf, try a used eos 1d as they are dropping rapid in price now you amy be able to pick up a used 600mm non is from the us for a decent price. anything quality isnt going to be cheap but then if you want good results you need good tools

lgc
lgc  1062 forum posts England
29 Oct 2005 - 3:26 PM

thanks for the all advice, unfortunatly living in brasil brings the problem that nearly all new equipment is about 23 percent more expensive than europe, and the used stuff is the same price if not more than the new price in europe. i think i will have to wait till i have friends coming from the u.k if not does anyone know of a company that will deliver to brasil??
ps terribly sorry for the caps lock, this is the first time i have entered the forum!!!

elikag
elikag  10749 forum posts
29 Oct 2005 - 11:28 PM

If 300mm is satisfactory, I'd recomend Sigma 70-200/2.8 + TCx1.4.

It will give you 280mm. The AF will work and the sigma has HSM and seems that it's able of fast tracking.

One glitch with the lens is that you have to stop it to around f4 to get good quality (don't get me wrong, wide opened it will still be better than your 75-300. But when the sigma is stopped down it's really good).

And the best part - it's cheaper than EF 70-200 f2.8L.

HTH,
Ilia Kagan.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2005 - 8:03 AM

try getting gear from the state they pay in dollars what we pay in pounds so you can take nearly 50% of new prices, I have brought used gear in from the states its better quality and much cheaper than the uk, try Ebay australia is another good source

I can sell you a canon 2x convertor if you want to go the canon route,I used it for my earlier portfolio with a 70-200 zoom by using centre focus and good light it will work well

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.