Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

SHOULD I UPGRADE MY KIT??

lgc 10 62 England
1 Nov 2005 2:16PM
cheers paul frost, i think i will try ebay in america, see if i can pick up an eos 1d with the 600mm lens, how much do you think i should be looking to pay in dollars???
do you think i should stick with canon or go down the nikon route??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MDR_Photo 10 872 England
1 Nov 2005 2:35PM
I'm sure Paul would recommend sticking with Canon as I know he is a big fan. So would most other sports photographers I believe.
wotashot 11 2.2k
1 Nov 2005 2:53PM
Go Canon Smile
Andy_Britten Junior Member 9 96 England
2 Nov 2005 2:40PM
I don't think upgrading to 350d is worth it. Much better to upgrade the lens, Sigma are worth a look. If you have the cash upgrade the camera to the 20d that will do it. much faster, robust and sharper though ultimately the lens still needs upgrading.
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2005 11:50PM
Oh dear. Someone using a 300D and 75-300 lens is recomended to buy full PRO kit - a 1D and 600mm F4 lens on less!

OK, so there is no denying that a 1D and 600mm F4 is the best kit out there for this kind of job, but I think we have gone off the scale somewhat.

The Focusing speed is govened (mostly) by the AF motor in the lens. As a fellow 300D user, I can tell you that I was blown away the frist time I tried an 'L' lens. the speed at which it focues is in another world compared with a standard lens such as the 75-300.

Have a good look at the Sigma 100-300 F4 EX. The focusing speed is simular to an 'L' lens, and it is cheeper than the Canon 300mm F4 L. Plus you can add a 1.4TC at a later date to get a 140-480mm lens at F5.6

A new lens will make much more difference than a new body.

Mattw
elowes 10 2.8k United Kingdom
3 Nov 2005 12:10AM
Simple answer is save money, use manual focus and pre focus your shots.

L lenses are fast focusing and super quality at fairly high prices. While I have not experienced Canon's long zooms I know it is frustrating when my Sigma 28-300 hunts for focus (as well as being as soft as toilet paper).

If all you really want to concentrate on in your photography is surfing for your own interest then perhaps saving for a good long prime lens to complement the zoom may be the answer.

My personal view would be you are going to waste money unless you want to sell your images. Quality counts. If you can make money then spending some to make it may pay dividends. If you do this you need a faster motor drive in the camera you choose (20D upwards though the 5D does not excel in that area) and quality lenses.

You are looking at a lot of money, even second hand.
lgc 10 62 England
4 Nov 2005 11:58AM
I have been checking out a few sites in america and have found www.thecameramall.com to be quite competitive and they deliver to brasil. the only problem is that i dont want to be carting around a tripod and a massive lens, id rather use something lighter in the lens department, have been looking at the canon 100mm-400mm, does anyone have any experience with this lens or have any other suggestions?????

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.