Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should I upgrade to a D7000?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
17 Feb 2011 - 4:04 PM

I intend to upgrade within the next few weeks.

Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Feb 2011 - 4:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Wild
Wild  4 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2011 - 10:49 AM

Having read all of the coments on this thread, I have come to the conclusion there is some what a bit of a hard core film photographer amongst us. My views are quite simply, if you enjoy what you do you will know in your own mind how you want to go with it, my first DSLR was a D70 and I loved it, I learned a lot and enjoyed every minute of using it, I could fire off 100's of shots per day when I was learning how it all worked and just delete what I didnt like. at no further cost. and lets be honest when you fire off shots like that you are bound to get at least one shot you are happy with. If I had started with photography before digital I am sure I would have had 100's of un developed films in a draw some where and would not have had half so much fun getting to know how the camera works as I would have had to buy dozens of films each day to be able to play with setting etc as I have with my digital only to throw the majority in the bin!.

My upgrade was to a D200 and I am still doing the same, shooting fast and furious and playing with settings and now lighting to keep improving my shots. So at the end of the day I say just enjoy what ever camera you have and upgrade to what ever you want when you can no longer do things with your old model that you want to do. I will upgrade my D200 only when I can no longer find a new way of setting up and getting a good result.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123841 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2011 - 11:26 AM

Quote: I would say when you see some of the washed out sunbleached grubby excuses for a photograph that were taken and framed by Mothers and Grannies the world over and taken on film - about the same.

Nothing changes then, exactly the same type of pictures are taken on today's latest answer to everything digital cameras. GrinGrin

I have been copying some old CDs of 2000 "vintage" and only one was corrupt, with a bit of fiddling I was able to retrieve most of the contents.

Film? Digital? Do what you want; we still have a few freedoms left in the UK and one of them is to be able to use whatever medium you like within your camera; see my post for an interest in film from contemporary youth.

Peter.

Wild
Wild  4 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2011 - 11:51 AM

Well said Peter, why should we belive that one is better than the other? both mediums can create wonderful images so the main thing to remember is that what ever gives you the most pleasure is the right one for you Wink

deperaltav
deperaltav  11 United States
20 Feb 2011 - 4:57 AM

Reading your comments made me think that I was the one writing them. Yes my first DSLR (2005) is a Nikon D70S - 18-70 mm Nikon and 18-200 mm Tamron with SB-600 and power grip. Then moved to Sony A350 (2008) - 18-70 mm Sony and 18-200 mm Tamron with Bower flash and power grip. I just bought a Nikon D7000 (2011), uses the about lenses for the D70S and flash; bought also MB-D11 power grip and wireless remote. I felt like simply using a better D70S. I like the continuous shooting (adjustable 1-5 fps) and set with a rotating knob (S CL CH...) I also like the bigger screen. It can also do video (with Live View); autofocusing even in video and continuous shooting. I considered buying a Sony SLT-A55 (the one with fixed mirror). The body is small and the Nikon D7000 seems to be more 'professional' in specification. I actually prefer the design of Nikon than Sony. I do not miss the articulated screen. If I really need the feature, I still have the Sony A350. So I highly recommend Nikon D7000 as an affordable upgrade from D70S and even Sony's A350.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Feb 2011 - 8:02 AM

Quote: The sales Person was not telling lies as you claim! Grin I tried both cameras. Both the Lens Release Buttons were sticking on each camera. Grin

The lens release button is supposed to be "stiff" - to prevent accidental release of the lens.
On the D7000 it is a new design with more resistance than on previous bodies Wink
It seems you believed a photographic dope Sad

thewilliam
21 Feb 2011 - 3:13 PM

One of my MPA colleagues had a lens drop off his camera on a couple of occasions precisely because the release-button wasn't stiff enough.

AlexHD57
AlexHD57  4
25 Feb 2011 - 8:04 AM

When a new model comes out the best upgrade for those on a somewhat 'ageing' camera is often the model below or being replaced by the new one. So in this instance instead of the D7000 perhaps look at the D90 which would still be a huge leap from your D70 and may offer everything you need? With the D7000 release D90 prices have obviously fallen and many are hitting the second hand market; it represents excellent value if you don't need the latest and greatest.

Alex

gus
gus  10156 forum posts England
25 Feb 2011 - 9:06 AM

Well I have sat on my hands now for 3 months and the prices have dropped to approx. 850, I may have to see what I get in ths months paycheck and make the move as I cant see prices dropping much lower across the summer.

But should I wait to see what Focus brings, they might release the D7000s Tongue

Gus

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123841 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2011 - 9:13 AM

I doubt that the new D7000s will be announced at Focus Grin but I bet it isn't far away.

Last Modified By peterjones at 25 Feb 2011 - 9:14 AM
strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2011 - 11:40 AM

Another year till the D7000s release would be more in line with Nikon timing, the D400 has still to be released and would come out 1st would it not?

gus
gus  10156 forum posts England
3 Mar 2011 - 9:35 AM

Well I did the deed, I was in Cardiff, the first time for years and remembered that my favorite camera store was there and as usual I got sterling service and excellent advice as well as a body for 799 (Thank You Jacobs).

The shame was, I was travelling down via the GWR line on St Davids day and at about 3 stations we saw the St Davids Day steam train and I didnt have a camera with me Sad

Gus

thewilliam
3 Mar 2011 - 10:09 AM

Buying a new camera can certainly help our photography because it encourages us to go out and take pictures. Enjoy the new toy!

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2011 - 10:39 AM

I got my D7000 on Tuesday and although I haven't had much chance to play with it yet I've been pleased with what I have seen so far.

The main downside I thought there would be for me was the restriction to 3 frames for auto-bracketing, but it turns out you can set the increment to 2 stops, so it will still be useful for some handheld HDRs. The only other minor inconvenience I have found so far is that it uses an IR remote, not cable.

On the plus side, it has a nice quiet shutter and I love the large bright viewfinder and rear panel, plus it has native 100iso mode.

The jury is still out whether 14bit RAW gives enough benefit to offset the extra filesize and longer write times in camera. I have read mixed reviews so am sticking to 12bit until I have researched it a little more.

Ian

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
11 Mar 2011 - 9:01 PM

If you were at Focus the D7000 was 699 Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.