Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Should I use GIMP on an external hard drive or use GIMP Portable on a flash drive?

gloroz 4 1 United States
25 Aug 2012 2:34AM
Hello,

I am just begining to use GIMP.

My computer is old and does not have enough room for anymore programs. It does not have enough room on it for me to download the regular version of GIMP.

I will be replacing the computer in a few months.

For now I downloaded GIMP portable onto a flash drive and have been using that.

Would it better to download the regular version of GIMP to an external hard drive so I can use it?

Thank you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Aug 2012 3:43AM
Use an on line editor, nothing to download or install.

http://pixlr.com/editor/

http://www.photoshop.com/tools/overview
thebigyin e2
9 83 6 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2012 3:53AM
You can also try librekey and mobileapps, they are free download applications suite specifically for USB drives, and both offer the mobile version of GIMP.

good luck.

Alister
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
25 Aug 2012 10:18AM
I am going to guess that if your computer is so old that there is insufficient space on the internal HDD to install GIMP, then it might be doubtful if it has sufficient RAM (and/or virtual RAM) to efficiently run the program.

If replacing it is not imminent and if you are up for a bit of housekeeping, you could try moving all of your data from C: to an external HDD, uninstalling any software that you do not regularly use and seeing if that releases enough space on C: to both install and run the program.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.