Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should I use GIMP on an external hard drive or use GIMP Portable on a flash drive?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gloroz
    gloroz  3 United States
    25 Aug 2012 - 2:34 AM

Hello,

I am just begining to use GIMP.

My computer is old and does not have enough room for anymore programs. It does not have enough room on it for me to download the regular version of GIMP.

I will be replacing the computer in a few months.

For now I downloaded GIMP portable onto a flash drive and have been using that.

Would it better to download the regular version of GIMP to an external hard drive so I can use it?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2012 - 2:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 3:43 AM

Use an on line editor, nothing to download or install.

http://pixlr.com/editor/
    http://www.photoshop.com/tools/overview

thebigyin
    thebigyin e2 Member 981 forum poststhebigyin vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2012 - 3:53 AM

You can also try librekey and mobileapps, they are free download applications suite specifically for USB drives, and both offer the mobile version of GIMP.

good luck.

Alister

User_Removed
    25 Aug 2012 - 10:18 AM

I am going to guess that if your computer is so old that there is insufficient space on the internal HDD to install GIMP, then it might be doubtful if it has sufficient RAM (and/or virtual RAM) to efficiently run the program.

If replacing it is not imminent and if you are up for a bit of housekeeping, you could try moving all of your data from C: to an external HDD, uninstalling any software that you do not regularly use and seeing if that releases enough space on C: to both install and run the program.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.