Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should the government listen to all your calls, emails and web visits?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53532 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 3:10 PM

Whilst I love the sentiment of a trusted body looking at criminal behaviour to curtail it i don't yet agree with the proposals and trust the government to use the data solely for those purposes. I don't trust the leverage it may place on coercing political leaders themselves to follow a certain suggested path by other's holding the information.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17595209

I also don't see how it will work when i can set up a VPN (encrypted traffic stream) to a non UK destination for internet telephony, web browsing or emails.

Just think of all the epz posts and PM's you made being monitored Wink

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2012 - 3:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012523 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 3:17 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/mar/29/michael-gove-appeal-against-email...

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
3 Apr 2012 - 3:17 PM

This is another useless plan from this useless government. It must be stopped.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53532 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 3:22 PM

One mass petition site allowing objections to this (and other hot topics) is 38 Degrees.
Its the only way i really know of feeding back to the government - unless i send a private email for them to read Wink
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/stop-government-snooping#petition

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 3:23 PM

i totally and utterly disagree with this ludicrous propsal just shows how out of touch the govenment truly are

thatmanbrian
3 Apr 2012 - 3:38 PM

Remember:

They won't be able to see content.

Also, it will fail because no self-respecting terrorist is going to post a message to Al-Quieda in his own name or from his own computer!

Anyone up to no good will easily circumvent these measures.

Anyone innocent won't be tracked as they won't have the resources, so no worries eh!

Last Modified By thatmanbrian at 3 Apr 2012 - 3:39 PM
robthecamman
3 Apr 2012 - 3:48 PM

someone voted the knobheads in come on own up haaa

ast333
ast333  2593 forum posts England
3 Apr 2012 - 4:11 PM

Now you know why the newspapers where dragged across the coals over the phone hacking .the government donít like competition.

thatmanbrian
3 Apr 2012 - 4:27 PM

My comments are about the facts. Most folk seem to ignore those and concentrate on ephemeral issues such as privacy. Privacy is a personal and subjective thing and everyone will have their own feelings on it.

For myself I can't be doing with getting my knickers in a twist over it. Privacy is an imaginary and unrealistic concept in this 21st century. Live with it.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 4:32 PM

In the past ISPs provided information on traffic through Memorandums of Understanding (a voluntary code). I suspect that this puts it on a formal footing, but you have to bear in mind that RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000) governs all this type of work

"RIPA can be invoked by government officials specified in the Act on the grounds of national security, and for the purposes of detecting crime, preventing disorder, public safety, protecting public health, or in the interests of the economic well-being of the United Kingdom."

RIPA won't allow random, fishing searches. Each and every case, each and every individual being investigated or linked to an investigation has to have a a separate request completed signed off by a `Senior Officer' (who is not directly managing the case). And then if greater detail was needed a warrant would be required.

I haven't read all the legalese behind this but (having worked in Customs & Excise) don't believe it puts any individuals at risk.

The job of tracing and proving criminality is very, very closely monitored. Of course there are exceptions to all rules, but in the main the bodies who are likely to have these powers use them very discretely and for very specific purposes.

Of course, everyone has their own opinion about levels of powers...that's called democracy Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 3 Apr 2012 - 4:33 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: but in the main the bodies who are likely to have these powers use them very discretely and for very specific purposes.

I'll bet that's what the KGB used to say! Lol! Wink

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 4:41 PM

Quote: Someone voted the knobheads in come on own up haaa

It was the present goverment that voted against much more draconien methods during Labours term so putting the blame on one party does not ring true

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 4:45 PM

It's just another story to keep the population on edge, they are trying to cover up the budget, the pastygate and anything else they can **** up.........have you noticed they always use "Terrorism" as the excuse.......sounds good SadSadSad

To use Huntley as an example is just shameful...........sadly I cannot see things changing in the near or distant future.........we need to be rid of this political system we have but for the life of me I can't think of anything to replace it with...............maybe this could become a new Topic...........has anybody got any sensible ideas on a new political system............answers on a postcard............and to hell with the stamp......GrinGrinGrin

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2012 - 8:58 PM

Quote: It was the present government that voted against much more draconian methods during Labours term so putting the blame on one party does not ring true

Absolutely right......Grin

Quote: Someone voted the knobheads in come on own up haaa

So what are you saying, You would rather be spied on by Labour, Instead of the Conservatives, Or perhaps the Liberals, How about the British National Party checking to see who you have voted for maybe......LOL.....Grin Truth is that it was Blair assisted by Brown who schemed up the idea of " Everyone On Line " no matter what, That particular gesture seemed a tad suspicious at the time, Now it just makes absolute sense.........Wink

You might have to think about that for a while....!!!

thatmanbrian
4 Apr 2012 - 8:32 AM

What part of "no content" don't people understand?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.