Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Should the red (new member) tag last longer ?

MoWiz 9 114 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 11:57AM
I joined just over a month ago, and was really happy at the advice I receved on my uploads, everything from composition, to improving the quality of uploads etc..
I have noticed that the red (New member) tag beside my alias has disappeared, and funny enough most of the advice I was getting too has dried up. I found the first couple of weeks on here really fruitful for me as it seemed people were only too happy to point out how I could improve my images (for which I am extremely grateful).
However since the new member tag has gone people don't seem to comment or criticise as much as they used to.
is this just a coincidence or has my photography improved to new lofty standards (yeah right!).
would really be appreciative if people could let me know how I can get more constructive critisim on my uploads.
as a relative novice I feel highly unqualified in critisising other peoples work beyond the basics
Mo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Jul 2005 12:09PM
Hi Mo, some members who are new may not be new to photography and they wish the flag would go sooner, so we thought one month was adequate. I take your comments on board though and we will consider having a member adjustable tag.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 12:10PM
Other people have said its really quiet in the gallery, and it seems to be tonight.
Maybe its the weather - too many people outdoors or on holiday ?
It was a bit rainy when I came home or I wouldn't be here myself - turned into a fine evening now.
u08mcb 10 5.8k
4 Jul 2005 12:10PM
re advice: just ask for it now.

re critique: just do it. If your critique is not valid because of a lack of know-how, whoever you critique should (in a perfect world) explain in their response why that is the case, then you both learn Smile
MoWiz 9 114 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 12:24PM
Pete I think the adjustable new member tag is a great idea and allows flexibility according to the skills/ experience of the photographer.
As far as critique and advice is concerned, its great when people say your photo's are good, however I would be happier with comments like "this is how you could maybe improve things etc.."
I have seen a few threads on here that emphasize the fact people are unwilling to criticise shots because of the backlash they could get, but the reason I think most people upload photos is to hear comments good and bad.
I know as long as someone explains why they don't like an image and how they feel it could be improved, I would take no offence, and I would certainly appreciate their expertise.
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
4 Jul 2005 12:48PM
Can I volunteer to beta test the new tag (was thinking around 5 years might do it!)?
Hazard 11 1.2k United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 1:12PM
Your only as good as your next photo

Not sure what that means but it sounds very profound Smile
UserRemoved 10 6.2k 1
4 Jul 2005 1:15PM
I'm only as good as last year's photo

I'm sure what that means - sadly, not profound! Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
4 Jul 2005 3:56PM
I'm only as good as my passport photo
foxybrown 9 368
4 Jul 2005 11:53PM
lol@tooth
juliem 9 613
5 Jul 2005 12:58AM
I'm bad.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.