Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should there be a minimum price for alcohol?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 4:06 PM

It could be counter-productive in unexpected ways. People who like to drink a lot would still drink a lot, but would then have less money to spend on other things like a healthy diet, clothes for their children, etc.

It would also potentially move spending away from pukka establishments to dodgy imported beers & spirits, consumed at home.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2013 - 4:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 4:16 PM

The people the government are targeting are the ones with the most disposable income. They tend to live at home, single and nothing else to do with their money, but spend it on booze, holidays and maybe a car. No other commitments, so to say they cannot afford to go to the pub and spend 3.50 on a pint is not correct. The pubs have lost out to people who have commitments. There disposable income has dwindled away and they just cannot afford to go to the pub any longer and its these people who go to the supermarkets to get there booze.

How often do you see 19 to 30 year old's in the supermarkets buying alcohol? Maybe women go to supermarkets to buy there tipple before going out, but not many men. The people to blame are the "new" bars, offering spirits and various cocktails that get them sozzled very quickly. Offering 2 for 1 or some other offer to get them legless. The normal local/corner pub has had its day and the young people with their disposable income are not drawn to these types of establishments any longer. Whether this is just a passing fad, I don't know, unless the breweries can come up with an idea of there own to get these people back.

I live on Tenerife and the booze here is dirt cheap. I buy a 1 litre bottle of Gordons gin for around 10 (8) You don't see young people staggering around the streets fighting and being sick everywhere, unless they are the young Brits with the disposable income on holiday. Even they are having to tow the line now, as the police will not put up with drunken behaviour like they used to do. I live in Puerto Santiago, on the West coast and I never see any drunks staggering around being a nuisance. It seems to be the British culture, that you have to go out at the weekends and get blathered to be able to tell your mates during the week what happened or the fact you cannot remember what happened!

GarethRobinson
13 Mar 2013 - 4:28 PM

Quote:

How often do you see 19 to 30 year old's in the supermarkets buying alcohol?markets to buy there tipple before going out, but not many men.

Daily in the in the uk.

thewilliam
13 Mar 2013 - 4:51 PM

The real casualties are likely to be the artisan producers like Sheppey's Cider based down the road from here. Their typical customers are discerning folk who choose a high quality product to enjoy responsibly and I'd wager that most are Conservative or Lib Dem voters.

Some of the artisan ciders are quite strong, around 8%, and they will virtually double in price.

On the other hand, "our people" who can pay 3 figures for a bottle of claret won't even notice any change.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 5:28 PM

Quote: Nope. It has had no effect on the problem in Scotland.

Probably because it hasn't been introduced yet.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 5:36 PM

Quote: Some of the artisan ciders are quite strong, around 8%, and they will virtually double in price.

Why? They are not saying AFAIK to add 40p to the price of every unit, but to have a minimum price of 40p per unit. If the drink costs 50p per unit there is no reason for that to change.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214395 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 5:45 PM

How and who would this help, the exchequer ?

thewilliam
13 Mar 2013 - 5:49 PM

The strongest artisan ciders contain about 4,5 units of alcohol per 500ml bottle which would cost 2.03 per bottle under the new regime. We now pay just over half of that for such cider, or less than one-third if bought "loose" by the gallon from the farm.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 6:01 PM

I see what you mean. That would be a disaster.

Graysta
Graysta  91118 forum posts England
13 Mar 2013 - 8:01 PM

Quote: Yes 10 pence per tin for the over 40's and 10 per tin for 18-39 year olds.

When would you like my vote you are my sort of MP

Graysta
Graysta  91118 forum posts England
13 Mar 2013 - 8:10 PM

Quote: for such cider, or less than one-third if bought "loose" by the gallon from the farm.

If you have ever bought such Cider from the Cider farm you will understand the word "loose" the after effects can be those of a thunderbolt passing through the gut this is also linked to semi blindness and a lack of feeling in the lower body.

User_Removed
13 Mar 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm a recovering alcoholic, six years now since last drink. My drink problem started in the late nineties. My then girlfriend kept horses but we couldn't really afford them. We couldn't afford to go out. We bought the cheapest stuff which was white cider or super strength lager.

2 litres of White Star cider at 8% abv at 2 was cheaper than 1 litre of Woodpecker which was about 3% abv.

For 2 quid a night you get mortal but it turned into a drinking problem then full blown dependency. People I've met in rehabs all used to buy the cheaper stuff, white cider mainly.

Even if they did increase the price alcoholics would still find a way to get their fix, others would possibly benefit as they'd not be drinking this strong, cheap crap.

thewilliam
13 Mar 2013 - 11:29 PM

Quote: for such cider, or less than one-third if bought "loose" by the gallon from the farm.

If you have ever bought such Cider from the Cider farm you will understand the word "loose" the after effects can be those of a thunderbolt passing through the gut this is also linked to semi blindness and a lack of feeling in the lower body.

It ain't neccessarily so!

thewilliam
13 Mar 2013 - 11:31 PM

Our youngsters do have a habit of disgracing the country when they holiday abroad. I've been advised never to go to Ibiza.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214395 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2013 - 11:36 PM

I blame the pubs and clubs that stop open to silly hours serving cheap drink.

Its not a problem were I live, its only a small town, but in some larger towns I have seen big town centre problems on Friday/Saturday nights.

Seems there not interested in that, instead they want to tax those they can`t afford to go out Sad

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Mar 2013 - 11:38 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.