Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should there be a minimum price for alcohol?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
13 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

I was brought up to enjoy alcohol in sensible moderation from an early age. This meant that I didn't go wild and drink myself into a stupour whenever my parents weren't around.

Society needs to teach people to keep within reasonable boundaries and this needs to start as soon as we leave the cradle. Brits seem to be the only Europeans who can't just enjoy a peaceful drink. Why must people drink to excess and get into fights?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2013 - 11:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73
14 Mar 2013 - 12:33 AM

thewilliam - I have seen this viewpoint refuted many times on various forums - the evidence suggests our European friends are in exactly the same boat as us, but spend less time wringing their hands about it. The whole idea of French and Italian children sipping a few watered down drops of wine with their parents at lunchtime, then growing into responsible drinkers is quaint and outdated.

I do agree with your sentiments in the main, but one man's daily peaceful bottle of Rioja (or two) at the end of the day, in his own home, might end up being more costly to the taxpayer than another man's big night out on the town over several wayward years...

Back to the OP - as Scottishphototours says - it just doesn't work. You can't price addicts out of the market. If I could afford to spend 300 a day, I'd probably get on the crack. If I couldn't, I'd nick stuff, rob grannies and buy a gun to facilitate the whole process.

thewilliam
14 Mar 2013 - 8:49 AM

I reckon that we can apply a "triage" to use of alcohol. One group will either abstain or consume in moderation whatever the price and there are the poor souls who suffer from alcoholism.

The majority are in the middle and will probably follow the norms of their society. If the "accepted" idea of a good night out means getting drunk and fighting, then that's what they'll do. If such behaviour is considered unacceptable within their society, they won't. It's up to us, as a society and supported by the judiciary, to give clear guidelines for acceptable behaviour.

In some parts of the UK such as Luton. there is a call for Sharia Law where alcohol on the streets or even in homes would be forbidden. Either we clean up ourselves or the hard-line Islamics will do it for us!

We seem to be building a society where decent behaviour and the rule of law is just a distant memory. I never thought that I'd see reports of the happenings in the Staffordshire Health Trust.

collywobles
14 Mar 2013 - 4:21 PM

This kind of issue is so tedious, its plain for everyone to see that anything in moderation is fine and excesses are just not good. This country is becoming a mamby pamby state conrtrolling everything we do where in reality most of us are just fine and rational. If some tosspot wants to get bladdered on a Fri/Sat night, if he wants to drink/drive as long as they get caught thats also fine, if they cause trouble then put them in jail. We really dont need the government to tell us what to drink, eat and smoke (;oP .............. For those that drink/smoke/eat too much they know what they are doing wrong but hey its a free society so let them get on with it.

collywobles
14 Mar 2013 - 4:48 PM

Quote: . Either we clean up ourselves or the hard-line Islamics will do it for us!

What planet are you on!

User_Removed
14 Mar 2013 - 4:54 PM

Quote: if he wants to drink/drive as long as they get caught thats also fine

How can it be fine as there's a risk to other people who he may kill or injure?

thewilliam
14 Mar 2013 - 5:02 PM

Quote: . Either we clean up ourselves or the hard-line Islamics will do it for us!

What planet are you on!

We need a "tongue firmly in cheek" emoticon. One good friend has a business in Luton and he was shocked to see a very well supported protest march demanding that Sharia law be introduced in Luton.

collywobles
14 Mar 2013 - 5:12 PM

Quote: How can it be fine as there's a risk to other people who he may kill or injure?

.... but increasing the price of a pint will not stop it either. My point is that the government are trying to control us too far. If we want to drink/smoke/eat then its entirely up to us Why should the rest of us pay increased prices just because a few do not know how to behave.

thewilliam
14 Mar 2013 - 5:17 PM

The whole point of the original post!

User_Removed
14 Mar 2013 - 5:41 PM

Who is talking about increasing the price of a pint. Pub prices won't change. It's about getting rid of the 25p cans of lager from the supermarkets. It only affects the bottom end of the market where very strong white cider is what people who've got two quid buy. It's made in a chemical factory, flavoured artificially (no ageing in oak barrels) and has probably never been near an apple.

thewilliam
14 Mar 2013 - 5:52 PM

There are many people who can't afford anything better than "value" products. Is strong white cider any different from "value" baked beans until it's consumed irresponsibly?

The UK government is for the rich and seems to ignore the plight of the poor.

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2013 - 6:01 PM

Quote: The UK government is for the rich and seems to ignore the plight of the poor.

Bugger, isn't it. I'd love a Ferrari but those dirty capitalists insist on pricing it out of my range.
Life is a rich man's game, unfortunately.

thewilliam
14 Mar 2013 - 6:19 PM

Societies that consistently ignore the plight of the poor always seem to face a day of reckoning. Until that day, the Matthew effect applies, "to him who has, will be given more but he who has not will lose even what little he does have".

User_Removed
14 Mar 2013 - 6:53 PM

Quote: Is strong white cider any different from "value" baked beans until it's consumed irresponsibly

Got nothing against Value drinks, just don't make them the strongest most addictive type of alcohol, unless you're in the drinks industry and it makes you a small fortune.

Maybe you'd like to see cheap legal crack available and then hope it isn't consumed irresponsibly?

collywobles
14 Mar 2013 - 10:11 PM

The 50. lesson.

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front garden, my neighbours stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog.
During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up.
She said she wanted to be Prime Minister one day.
Both of her parents Labour Party voters were standing there, so I asked her: "If you were Prime Minister what would be the first thing you would do?"
She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."
Her parents beamed with pride!
"Wow, what a worthy goal!" I said. "But you don't have to wait until you're Prime Minister to do that!" I told her.
"What do you mean?" she replied.
So I told her: "You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, trim my hedge and I'll pay you 50. Then you can go down to the Town Centre, find a homeless man and can give him the 50 to buy food."
She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless man come over and do the work and you can just pay him the 50.?"
I said, "Welcome to the Conservative Party."

Her parents aren't speaking to me any more.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.