Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Should this man be charged?

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Apr 2014 4:17AM
ATM dispenses $37,000

There seems to be some question in the minds of the police that this may have been a criminal activity. If you had been the recipient of this windfall, what would you have done? I'm kind of on the side of the man, who was grossly inconvenienced by the banks ineptitude.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
7 Apr 2014 11:08AM
Take the money and run?

It's a good idea but how far would you get?

The ATM would surely 'know' who's card was used to make the transaction?
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
7 Apr 2014 11:18AM
Going on what I read and what was in that vid there's no evidence that the man was going to take the money. The police turned up as he was putting it into a carrier bag...what easier way to collect so much money in order to hand it in? No evidence (as far as I could see) to see that he was trying to make off with the money.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
7 Apr 2014 11:40AM
Agreed Malc.
He will certainly claim that that's what he was doing and it's probably the truth.
As I said above, he'd be very unlikely to get away with keeping it.
derekhansen e2
6 200 24 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2014 12:20PM
Totally agree with Malcolm. What should an honest person have done in that situation? Run into the branch leaving the $37k sitting in the dispenser slot?
7 Apr 2014 4:08PM
OK, I'll bite. Agreed we have no evidence of any dishonest activity, but from the video report I suspect that the guy was repeatedly asking the machine for money. The fact that the woman had time to report him, and that the police had time to arrive and catch him, is consistent with this idea. So he may have been deliberately milking the machine knowing that it was faulty, and I think the police were right to keep their options open.
WhiteRose1 e2
4 1.1k 137 England
7 Apr 2014 6:10PM
I'd try and ring the bank whilst keeping an eye on the money coming out. By the time the I get through by press button 2 for this then button 3 for that then listening to a crackling recording of some classic or other, the local riff-raff would have attended en-masse and helped themselves to the lot. It wouldn't help that you couldn't actually contact that branch direct either!

(that's the English scenario)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.