Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should we expect more from bird photographers?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:41 PM

Quote: ...
I know what you mean Brian. I entered one of my drone fly photos in the local club competition and the judge made the point that the usual thing was to get large DOF to show the whole bug, but this was shot at f5.6 with very noarrow DOF which lifted it from a 'record shot' to something more abstract and even 'art' (oo-er I thought).
I think it is strange that many animal shots are labelled as 'record shots' (and in the main I agree) but I have almost never heard that applied to even the most mundane of landscapes.

Yes, I put up an image on Wednesday called "Spinning her Web" which was shot at around f4 focused precisely on the spinnaret of a Garden Orb Spider with the rest being visible but deliberately OOF. He scored it at 11/20 because it wasn't all in focus and sharp and afterwards said that he hadn't picked up on the intent and detail of the shot as he hated spiders! (and he was confronted by a 6ft x 4ft projected close-up of one Tongue )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 11 Jan 2013 - 4:42 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jan 2013 - 4:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:42 PM

Quote: Why is it that birds get more awards than other animals....surley the difficulty in taking the photograph and the skills involved in taking a moving image are the same

I`m not big on birds but I still appreciate good shots, you have got to be special sort of person to do well with birds, and I`m not one of them, no patience.

My idea of bird photography is slinging a handful of sausages(fresh and cooked) on the roof of my extension, the kites seem to love them Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110369 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 4:59 PM

Quote: My idea of bird photography is slinging a handful of sausages(fresh and cooked) on the roof of my extension, the kites seem to love them

You lucky devil, we haven't got them down here yet Smile

lawbert
lawbert  71721 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 5:17 PM

Quote: My idea of bird photography is slinging a handful of sausages(fresh and cooked) on the roof of my extension, the kites seem to love them

Sounds like heaven Paul!!

Do they prefer a Cumberland or Lincolnshire?!!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014931 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 5:41 PM

Go to birdsasart.com for everything you ever wanted to know about bird photography...and what makes a good bird photograph.Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71721 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 5:49 PM

Quote: Go to birdsasart.com for everything you ever wanted to know about bird photography...and what makes a good bird photograph.Wink

Didnt we go through this a while ago??!!TongueWink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 6:17 PM

Quote: Do they prefer a Cumberland or Lincolnshire?!!

I don`t think there bothered Smile

Quote: You lucky devil, we haven't got them down here yet

We have them in the hundreds.

I`m on the Bucks/Berks/Oxfordshire border, its very much like this in my garden Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 11 Jan 2013 - 6:34 PM
GazzaG2003
GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
11 Jan 2013 - 7:49 PM

love the vids, terrific stuff Smile

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  61432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 8:01 PM

I feel that all types of photography have improved immensely in the last 10 years and much of what once had the "wow" factor has now become almost ordinary.
When I look through the galleries nowadays I find less and less that really inspires me. That is not to say that there is a lack of skill being displayed, far from it.
Things will move on and it will be interesting to see what will be regarded as avant garde in about 5 years time. Perhaps movie will be the answer for certain types of subject, such as natural history.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 8:46 PM

Quote: I feel that all types of photography have improved immensely in the last 10 years

The award gallery can often argue the case against that statement.

(Yeah I know- shoot me)

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95940 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Quote: I did try bird photography once, but in my naivety assumed you just went out with your canon 350d and 300mm kit lens and waited for the birds to appear. I knew nothing of Canon L lenses, Hides, building perches, constructing false backgounds, baiting, electronic bird calls etc. I got a couple of good shots of a robin taking off, but the rest of the results were just as you would expect!

...and there lies your answer to your original post

I could easily knock the 'scape toggers on here, but I don't! Why?
Because I can't damn well do itSad

There has also been the odd "smug" comment on here (not by the OP),, but when I have checked out the poster's PF, they too are lacking in the prowess, to achieve the "bird on a stick" as it has been called

brian1208
11 Jan 2013 - 9:23 PM

Quote:
(Yeah I know- shoot me)

only if you stand on a stick Keith Wink

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95940 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 9:39 PM

What I neglected to state in my post, was the fact that all of the bird/wildlife toggers on this site( that I know who I have met), have a genuine interest in the conservation of wildlfe in this country and beyond

Quote: From my past limited experience in bird photography, capturing the subject exactly where you want it, is a challenge.

Just spotted this quote

Never a truer wordGrin

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023196 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 9:42 PM

To be fair most Lemontographers know their Orange from their Mango too.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014844 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quote: Should we expect more from bird photographers?

aye - to photograph something else once in a while Wink

ho ho ho

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.