Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Should we scrap SATS tests?

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:17PM
I reckon they should be banned - or should their be a few less of them?

Garth

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
14 May 2008 5:24PM
Not sure about been banned - but I don't agree with them for 7 Year olds !
mr g 10 403 3 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:24PM
I'll watch this one with interest!!!!
MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
14 May 2008 5:31PM
Get rid of the League Tables!

Right, Geoff, you've got me going now - -

When (in the dim and distant past) I sat my 11+, I turned up at school to be told that we were having a test that day. Not that it was THE most important day of our lives and we certainly weren't drilled for it for the previous 3 years!

I had loads of fun at my primary school and still remember it fondly as a time with no pressure, not sure today's children will be able to do the same.

Testing starts at 4!! There are baseline assesments in Reception, PIPS tests in Y1, SATS in Y2, then "Optional" SATS in Y3, 4 & 5 (schools can't afford to let them go as they need to make sure that they are on target to reach the Government % set for them in the Y6 SATS) and then the "Official" SATS in Y6.

Once at High School, there are Y7 tests, interim tests in Y8,, SATS Y9, Mock GCSE Y10, GCSE Y11 A* Y12 and A levels in Y13!

Talk about STRESS!

All we teach children is how to pass tests, NOT how to learn!

Thanks for listening - - rant over!

Fran x
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:31PM

Quote:Not sure about been banned - but I don't agree with them for 7 Year olds !
I think very many, quite possibly most people, would agree with you on that.

Garth
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
14 May 2008 5:34PM
Learning should be FUN particularly at primary school. When my daughter came home the other week saying she "hated" a particular subject..that she used to love. It boiled down to the constant tests..she's 9!
bangalicious 6 1.3k 5 England
14 May 2008 5:35PM
Is there an argument for SATS to be removed then as it is news to me?

Year 6 SATS were fun and the "competitive" side of it ensure decent enough results for my friends and I.
mr g 10 403 3 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:43PM
Right, now that Fran has started the rants here goes:
Children spend the last year of their Primary school being coached not taught. In my class, we don't start focussing on SATs until after Christmas, but I know of schools were all the Year 6 children do is SATs practise from September.
I had two children crying yesterday, as they couldn't make sense of the Literacy Long Task and the Reading Test today wasn't much better!!
I wonder how many children are put off Science, Maths or English as they are sick of them by the end of their time at Primary school.
I know what the children in my class can and can't do, they don't need to sit a test in May to: tell me what level they are at, just to prove that I'm doing my job and for the figures to be published in the press!!
I can't see the SATs lasting much beyond 2009 with the introduction of APP.

Don't get me started on targets and Fisher Family Trust Data.......

In answer to the original question - "SATS, they're shi** and we know they are!!"
Rant over. And relax............
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:43PM
The good thing about SATs and other tests for primary school kids is that it shows which teachers are performing poorly.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 5:45PM

Quote:Talk about STRESS!

Fran xl

No problem, Fran; keep on ranting!
I happen to agree with you. Of course there are going to be plenty of others who will disagree - in fact many kids appear to be happy with SATS. However, I think we ought to consider the unhappy kids and teachers.
I think the 'STRESS' factor alone is enough reason to ban them...
(In my crystal ball, I think I can see what postings might be 'in the pipeline' in answer to that! LOL).

Garth
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 6:27PM
Lily is doing her SATS this week, but last week they spent every day at school 'revising' and practising and sitting practice paper over practise paper.
One girl in her class was made to sit up til midnight revising by her parents, it's madness.
Unfortunately my children's school was in the papers the other day, my son is in the same class as Ed Ball's daughter and when our Ofsted report put the school on special measures and the Headmistress ran off with no warning it obviously became big news.

I don't even remember doing my 11+, we certainly weren't told before hand, I remember doing a test one morning out the blue so that must have been it, but it wasn't gone on and on about.

I think a simple test for 11 yr olds to see where abouts they are for secondary school is fine but not this level of examination, and certainly not for 7 yr olds.
Lou_C 7 755 2 England
14 May 2008 6:36PM
The only tests we used to do at primary were Richmond tests which I likes because you had a 1 in 4 chance of being right lol.

My two have both done the infant SATs and my son does his yr 6 SATs next year, they never revised for the infant one and I wont be pushing them to revise for the Yr 6 one either. They either do well or they dont, I dont believe putting them under extra stress will help them in the great scheme of things
MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
14 May 2008 6:44PM

Quote:I wont be pushing them to revise for the Yr 6 one either

You won't have to, the school will do enough for you both! Sad

I have taught in schools where all Y6 children do from Christmas till May is English, Maths & Science, no wonder the feel disaffected with school by the time they get to High School!!
juldon 11 78 England
14 May 2008 6:44PM
I am/was not prepared to push my girls just for league tables.
The school give them lots of revision on it before hand why!!!........
for their numbers in the league.

My 13 year old felt sick going to school last week to do her Sats due to the way the teachers had put pressure on them to do well.
Maybe though they should do more in school exams to get them used to the exam conditions ready for GCSE's who knows whats best. Each child reacts differently to exams.
14 May 2008 6:48PM

Quote:Get rid of the League Tables!

Once at High School, there are Y7 tests, interim tests in Y8,, SATS Y9, Mock GCSE Y10, GCSE Y11 A* Y12 and A levels in Y13!

Talk about STRESS!

Fran x

I totally agree with you Fran, I would elaborate but have just finished writing 120 year 8 reports, got 120 year 7 ones to do now, oh and make sure they are reaching there expected national curriculum 'levels' and check that they are on track to make their expected FFTB's UGH!!!!!

Shame we can't just teach them!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.