Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Should you upload images on flickr if you want to sell them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bren1986
    14 Apr 2014 - 12:31 PM

Just wondering if you want to sell your images is it a good idea to have them on Flickr.

Does anybody know the best site to showcase your images on if you wish to sell them.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2014 - 12:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Evertonian
    14 Apr 2014 - 1:08 PM

You can prevent downloading from Flickr by going into "settings" and clicking the situation that you require.

here4years
    here4years e2 Member 108 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 1:55 PM

If you're looking to sell images then probably the best site is Alamy:

ALAMY

I've used them for several years with some succcess. Read their guidance notes as they are quite helpful.

I think Flickr was linked with Getty Images in some way but I'm not sure about that.

Last Modified By here4years at 14 Apr 2014 - 1:59 PM
    Snappypappy
    Snappypappy e2 Member 1Snappypappy vcard United Kingdom
    14 Apr 2014 - 6:43 PM

I think that flickr's small print(they are owned by yahoo) states that they own the copyright once posted to the flickr site.

That's why a lot of people are up in arms over them.

mikehit
    mikehit  46190 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 7:23 PM

AFAIK their small print doesn't give copyright to them but posting on flickr gives them approval to use the image however they want - you still own the copyright and can sell it to other parties.

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    15 Apr 2014 - 10:09 AM

500px has started a store and wall art section for selling prints and/or licensed downloads... This is mine just to give you an idea.....
    http://500px.com/photo/66249033?from=user_store

Last Modified By TTT at 15 Apr 2014 - 10:10 AM
    CarolG
    CarolG e2 Member 7128 forum postsCarolG vcard Greece16 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2014 - 8:09 AM

Quote: If you're looking to sell images then probably the best site is Alamy:

ALAMY

I've used them for several years with some succcess. Read their guidance notes as they are quite helpful.

I think Flickr was linked with Getty Images in some way but I'm not sure about that.

I checked out ALAMY, and note that they will NOT accept images taken with a compact camera, which I use. Who is to say that a compact camera can't take as good an image as a DSLR?

Carol

GlennH
    GlennH  91896 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2014 - 10:11 AM

Quote: Who is to say that a compact camera can't take as good an image as a DSLR?

You're right, Carol, but from a technical perspective the images aren't as good. That's where they're coming from. They will accept photos from some compact cameras. Images from cameras neither recommended or condemned basically require careful processing (my Panasonic LX3, for example).

Alamy lists are by no means perfect - there are questionable inconsistencies. They now have an edited 'Stockimo' sideline for iPhone pictures, so maybe they'll eventually move away from camera lists.

altitude50
    altitude50  101578 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Apr 2014 - 10:53 AM

That seems to be an unwarranted prejudice against compact cameras.
    I belong to a very good camera club, well respected in the area. I own a DSLR and three compact cameras. The first compact I owned (2004) and still use was a Pentax Optio 3.2 mp camera. In a competition in January this year I obtained a 10/10 and best of evening for a 10x8 print made from that camera, no colour manipulation, spot zapping, or cloning done to it. I did tweak the contrast up a small notch.
    I have never discussed what camera it was taken on and nobody has ever asked.

mikehit
    mikehit  46190 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2014 - 11:06 AM

Quote: That seems to be an unwarranted prejudice against compact cameras.
    I belong to a very good camera club, well respected in the area. I own a DSLR and three compact cameras. The first compact I owned (2004) and still use was a Pentax Optio 3.2 mp camera. In a competition in January this year I obtained a 10/10 and best of evening for a 10x8 print made from that camera, no colour manipulation, spot zapping, or cloning done to it. I did tweak the contrast up a small notch.
    I have never discussed what camera it was taken on and nobody has ever asked.

Companies like Alamy sell their images for all sorts of uses, from websites to double-page spreads and larger and their traditional model is that all pictures should be suitable for all uses so their clients don't need to worry about it - 'I like it, I'll buy it' not 'I will buy it if it is the correct resolution for my centre page spread'. So while a photo may be good enough for a competition, it is good enough for large advertising copy? And when they have tens of thousands of images on their database why do they need to compromise? So Glenn says, it will probably change but for now it is what it is.

Nickscape
    Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2014 - 1:04 PM

Alamy are very picky about the quality of their images and so they should be, I wouldn't want to upload any images taken with my compact - as good as they are the clarity is nowhere near the quality of the output from my DSLR. I've taken some very good pictures with my little compact but even printing at 10x8 you can start to see the limitations.

I've seen images licensed for use on huge billboards from Alamy so the original file needs to be incredibly clean to blow up this large, I can't imagine a picture from a compact camera standing up to well for this kind of output.

GlennH
    GlennH  91896 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2014 - 2:52 PM

If you lean towards a certain type of picture (i.e. editorial), a compact camera of decent quality won't be meaningfully discernible in output from a DSLR at the likely sizes of reproduction. That's undoubtedly why Alamy allow them at all, because traditionally most of their business has been editorial. The number of times I've made poster-sized sales on Alamy or even DPS sales are relatively small. My own technical preoccupation is total overkill - it's more for me than them, but I have occasionally submitted compact camera photos (never rejected). You just have to shoot raw at low ISOs, and process with care.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.