Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Shutter Speeds For Taking Dog Agility Competition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jaspernina
9 Aug 2007 - 4:12 PM

Hi all.

On Tuesday I'm off to our county show, were my friend has entered his dog in the agility competition. As you can see all my photography has been of static objects apart from the odd dog portrait. What i need help with is; what would be a good starting point for my shutter setting's on my D200 (or any other settings that might help) I'll be using a Sigma 24-70 2.8 Ex lense, the event is out doors, a tripod would be a hiderence because of the obstacles the dogs will have to jump.

Hope you can help me out.

Stephen.

PS Any suggestions on how i can practice this technique with out being at such an event?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Aug 2007 - 4:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2007 - 4:14 PM

take pics of other dogs in the show first and see how fast the shutter speed you need.
I would guess at least 1/500 sec, maybe

Stockczech
9 Aug 2007 - 4:28 PM

Watch a few of the dogs going round the course first, and work out the best place to stand. Ideally you would need a longer lens Sad but you can probably find a spot that will give you some decent pics. There are some obstacles where the dogs aren't going too fast, eg. weave poles, see-saw, and if you are worried about shutter speed try getting the dog coming towards you over a jump (or through a tyre - that always looks effective).

Sheila

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
jaspernina
9 Aug 2007 - 4:44 PM

Quote: Ideally you would need a longer lens

I have a Sigma 135-400mm APO lense, but for some reason the focusing is really slow, I'll also take that with me and give it ago.

Thanks for you advice.

Stephen

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2007 - 4:45 PM

buy a 70-200 2.8 l series it will beat any other lens for this kind of work

Geoffphoto
9 Aug 2007 - 4:46 PM

I second that !! Smile

ZenTog
9 Aug 2007 - 4:48 PM

if you canget in really close a wide angle like a 17-40mm wil lbe great the longer depth of field will mean virtually every bit of action will be in focus

jaspernina
9 Aug 2007 - 4:51 PM

I have a Nikon! Sigma makes a 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, is that any good, Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D ED but that costs even more. I'll just see how i get a long with the kit i have. I've run out of excuses to tell the wife about why i HAVE TO have this piece of equiptment Wink

ZenTog
9 Aug 2007 - 4:55 PM

one of my togs bought the 70-200 2.8 siggie, He bought a used one, rubbish, he then bought a new one from the same shop, still , he went back and changed it for the canon version . yes a lot more money but a hell of a lot more optics, instant better results, could see the results straight away
buy a used nikon 70-200 if you can afford it , it probally will not cost much more than a new siggie
tell her that bloddy Paulfrost bloke of ephotozine says you have to buy one!!

Last Modified By ZenTog at 9 Aug 2007 - 4:56 PM
Geoffphoto
9 Aug 2007 - 4:59 PM

A quick search for you, Grays have got a 80-200mm f/2.8D AF IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor N with case in mint condition for 525 - which is not bad and cheaper than a new Sigma !

Grays

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 9 Aug 2007 - 5:02 PM
jaspernina
9 Aug 2007 - 5:06 PM

Quote: A quick search for you, Grays have got a 80-200mm f/2.8D AF IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor N with case in mint condition for 525 - which is not bad and cheaper than a new Sigma !

Your getting me in to trouble now, I'll blame it all on you if 'she who must be obeyed' finds out that I've blown her shoe allowance on another piece of kitWink

Geoffphoto
9 Aug 2007 - 5:07 PM

LOL It's OK Stephen, I'll take the blame ( My name is Paul Frost) Smile

And tell her that she does'nt need shoes in this weather !!

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 9 Aug 2007 - 5:10 PM
ZenTog
9 Aug 2007 - 5:10 PM

shoes at 500 quid , you must be joking theres perfectly good car boot sales where she can buy shoes if she needs them , buy the bloddy lens, its tax deductable at the end of the day!!!

Geoffphoto
9 Aug 2007 - 5:15 PM

I third that !!!!

jaspernina
9 Aug 2007 - 5:15 PM

LOL. Does your partner see things that way then? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.