Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

sigma 10 - 20 mm dc hsm lens

5 Oct 2011 8:45AM
Hi all,
can any1 tell me what the distance scale on the side is for pls. If it's for hyperfocal distance, shouldn't it have the f/stop numbers printed on as well ?
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
5 Oct 2011 8:48AM
Far as I know the distance scale on a modern lens refers to the distance from the camera sensor to the point at which the lens is focused - so 5m would be a point 5m from the sensor/film in the camera.
IanBurton 5 71 7 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2011 9:36AM
Hi Paul. I have the same lens and Overread is correct. I found the DOFMaster website to be very useful and downloaded some charts for hyperfocal distances as the f/stops you mention are usually only found on the prime lenses as they are set for that particular focal length.

Ian
19 Oct 2011 5:25PM
Thans both.
So, how do I use it pls ? Grin
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 5:27PM
On that lens I set it to 1M at F11 and at 10mm its hard to get something out of focus. If you look at the DoF charts for your particular camera body you can work out some approximate points like the one I mentioned. The DoF scales vary depending on your sensor etc so I think they stopped marking them.
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
19 Oct 2011 11:03PM

Quote:On that lens I set it to 1M at F11 and at 10mm its hard to get something out of focus.

Yep, me too.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.