Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sigma 10-20 filter system

Ian-Munro e2
7 200 15 Wales
12 Jun 2008 11:11AM
Hi,

I am looking for a CPL and ND filter for my sigma 10-20

I was looking at the P series cokin but i am not sure about the extent of vignetting.

Do i get the wide angle adaptor or is there another brand that is better eg Hoya or Lee?

I am not on a budget and i only want ND and a polarisor for the moment.

Are any of you using this lens as a landscape lens with filters.

Thanks

IanSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
12 Jun 2008 11:16AM
I own a 10-20 and Lee filters are on my wish list - they're supposed to be the best.

In the meantime, I use P series Cokin filters (actually, only one a time) in a slim wide angle adapter, without a screw-in filter on the lens, because otherwise there is vignetting.
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
12 Jun 2008 11:25AM
I wanted to see what working with square filters was like, but didn't fancy shelling out too much cash so I bought some really cheap filters and holders from a place I found on the interweb... They seem to work fine and will keep me going till I can get some 'proper' ones.

Here's the link in case you are a bit tight like me Smile

I also have a CP on the 10-20 ( a Hoya ). It's not too effective at 10mm because the viewing angle is so wide that the polarisation of the sky doesn't get affected across the whole frame ( you get an area of effectivness which can look a bit strange ).
Ian-Munro e2
7 200 15 Wales
12 Jun 2008 11:29AM
Thanks Conrad, do you rate these cokin systems. I want to some landscape stuff on the weekend and i am undecided on getting the cokin set up this weekend.

Ian
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2008 11:36AM
I would go with the Lee filter system.
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
12 Jun 2008 11:45AM

Quote:Thanks Conrad, do you rate these cokin systems. I want to some landscape stuff on the weekend and i am undecided on getting the cokin set up this weekend.

Ian

Well, as I said, I only use it because I can't afford Lee yet.

So I would always recommend the same as Andy: Lee.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
12 Jun 2008 12:03PM
As filters are not a cheap addition to your kit......!

You might want to take note, There has been several mentions of issues regarding Cokin filters, When used on certain cameras, The cases I have read about include the Canon 40D & Canon 5D....!

Although it may apply to other camera brands.....!

There is NO problem with the cameras.....The issue is one of Filter quality, And the very high IQ of digital sensors....In that they can in some cases pick up " Flaws " in the filters construction.....Sad

That said NO such problem has been mentioned with LEE filters....Smile

SO Buyer beware....Sometimes you do get what you pay for...!
Nickscape e2
8 705 9 England
12 Jun 2008 12:13PM
I used Cokin P series for almost a year on my landscape shots - they work really well in all but the harshes lighting. You do occassionally get the Cokin colour shift in the sky but thats only in direct strong sunlight.

Ive upgraded to the Cokin Z_series - Much larger filters and easier to use on the 10-20. The filter holder can be reversed so no vignetting if you use 1 filter at a time, Using 2 or 3 filters in the holder you will get the edges in the frame at 10mm if you have a crop sized sensor.

I think if you have the extra budget i would go for the LEE system & polariser - the extra money is worth it. Although saying that alot of people on here us the Cokin Z or X-pro series & produce as good results. Ive not seen the CPL for the Z-series so cant comment on it - however if you want to see the results of the LEE system & Polarising filter, do a search for AdamBurton's images as he uses this set up to great effect.
Ian-Munro e2
7 200 15 Wales
12 Jun 2008 1:35PM
Thanks all for your opinions and i am going to save time and go for the LEE System.

Any idea on a good dealer where i can get them from?

IanSmile
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2008 1:42PM
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
12 Jun 2008 3:01PM

Quote:Hi,

Word of caution, given that the equivalent FF focal length will be 15-30 (on Nikon) then you may find that the CPL isn't very useable as the angle of view of the lens at most focal lengths will exceed the angle wher polarisation takes place resulting in shots with dark areas where maximum polarisation is posible and light areas where none occurs.

I saw this effect very nocticibly on shots I took in bright evening sunlight at 17mm on a D2HS.
12 Jun 2008 6:35PM

Quote:Quote:Hi,

Word of caution, given that the equivalent FF focal length will be 15-30 (on Nikon) then you may find that the CPL isn't very useable as the angle of view of the lens at most focal lengths will exceed the angle wher polarisation takes place resulting in shots with dark areas where maximum polarisation is posible and light areas where none occurs.

I saw this effect very nocticibly on shots I took in bright evening sunlight at 17mm on a D2HS.

I have experienced this using this lens with a Cokin CPL- its particularly noticable in shots with lots of blue sky in and is pretty distracting.

If you want to use a CPL and a ND at the same i would suggest taking a hacksaw to a holder and take of the end slot of the holder, without it i find a normal holder vignettes at about 13-14mm. I have modified one to hold 1 filter and get no vignetting at all. Its cheaper then getting a wide angle holder anyway!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.