Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 10-22??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    snowleopard
    26 Apr 2008 - 11:22 PM

I have a Canon 40D and currently mostly use the 28-135mm lens which I have had since I bought the D60 a few years ago. I am looking for an ultra wide angle zoom to improve my landscape photography and was quite impressed with the reviews on the sigma lens. However, I have heard of problems with quality control on some lenses and some people have reported having to send the lens back for replacements or refunds.

I started to look at the Canon 10-22 which is obviously more expensive. My question is, what is the likelihood of me getting a 'bad' sigma lens and what sort of trouble would I expect in returning the lens if that should happen? I can find the canon lens for 409 after cashback, is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Apr 2008 - 11:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Draig37
    Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
    26 Apr 2008 - 11:43 PM

The Sigma 10-20 is one of the 'respected' lens - I have one and love it - not heard a bad view of one yet.

hobbs
    hobbs e2 Member 101222 forum postshobbs vcard United Kingdom
    27 Apr 2008 - 2:01 AM

Sigma 10-20 is an outstanding lens, when I switched from canon to nikon it was the first lens I replaced.

Quote: what is the likelihood of me getting a 'bad' sigma lens

About the same as getting a bad canon lens

Quote: what sort of trouble would I expect in returning the lens if that should happen

I've never had a problem myself with sigma lenses in the last 4 years I've been doing photography. From what peeps who have had issues in the forums have said Sigma's customer service is very good and they've had no problems getting them changed

Quote: I can find the canon lens for 409 after cashback, is it worth the extra money?

Simply put no, you only have to look through the site for the amount of people using the 10-20 to see that it isn't.

uggyy
    uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2008 - 2:48 AM

Sigma 10-20 is a great lens, you wont regret it and its not a compromise.

Support from Sigma is good.

I use a tokina 12-24 but I bought it as its built like a tank and I love it but I have no hesitation saying the sigma is a beut of a bit of glass.

Tommy

McKenzie
    McKenzie  8 United Kingdom
    27 Apr 2008 - 10:18 AM

I also use the Tokina 12-24 and have found it to be a very nice lens and would think it is worth a look if you are also looking at the Sigma.

Steve

Nickscape
    Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2008 - 10:20 AM

Got the Sigma 3 months ago - love it - couldnt fault it.

SteveCharles
    27 Apr 2008 - 10:28 AM

Quality control problems? There are loads of users on here (me included), and I've never seen a bad word written about it.

Strobekid
    Strobekid  7369 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Apr 2008 - 11:47 AM

One more vote for the Sigma 10-20mm. Top notch lens. Get very bendy (distorted) when tilted up or down, but that's part of the fun with wide angle lenses Smile

snowleopard
    27 Apr 2008 - 1:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, I think I will order myself the sigma today!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.