Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 120-300f2.8 lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    robert5
    robert5  1378 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Apr 2013 - 4:43 PM

Has any one have or used a sigma 120-300f2.8 lens and idf so what do you think of it any good for sports

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Apr 2013 - 4:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85835 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 7:26 PM

I had the non IS version and it was a load of crap

It took me nearly a couple of years, to realise it was the lens and not me

Never looked back, since I off loaded it

Last Modified By tomcat at 27 Apr 2013 - 7:32 PM
    Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7824 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 7:27 PM

I haven't used mine for sports but I think the auto focus is pretty fast. If you get a good copy or are able to use micro adjustment in your camera to fine tune the focus then I think it's a very good lens and even better for the price for an f2.8 @ 300mm. The last few bird photos of my portfolio are taken with my Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX OS. Long lens technique is very important in using this heavy lens and I think I have made a leap in my ability to focus properly making a tremendous difference in the sharpness of my own photos. I had thought it was the lens being soft that resulted in slightly fuzzy photos but it was down to my poor technique. Thankfully, after a lot of practice the lens' sharpness was evident.

I think it should be good for most sports events, especially as it has a useful zoom range. I don't use the OS as I always use a tripod, but it is supposed to be good for 4-stops of shutter speed which can't be sniffed atSmile It takes the 1.4x converter very well and even the 2x converter in the centre is very good so it can become an equivalent 600mm f5.6 lens.

1-galloping-pony.jpg

2-galloping-pony-contre-jour.jpg

2-raw-120-300-processed.jpg
    A grab shot whilst waiting for horses to do something interesting.

4-swans2.jpg
    With Sigma 2x converter

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 9:25 PM

I know a league two football photographer and a couple of journalists who use this lens, their work sells and gets published, so it can't be awful as a sports lens.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 9:42 PM

look at his shots enough said !!!!

GarethRobinson
    28 Apr 2013 - 11:27 AM

dsc-2295.jpg

yeah it's ****.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 28 Apr 2013 - 11:32 AM
    GarethRobinson
    28 Apr 2013 - 11:53 AM

Nice link Collin.

annettep38
    annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Methinks that there are good and bad lenses around, I have had very bad luck with sigmas myself but then you can be lucky. I always thought the mechanics are really good but the optics can be Monday versions. Try the one you want to buy to be sure.
    For sports you are not after pixel counting sharpness anyhow. but the speed you get with a 2.8 lens is fantastic and a 2.8 zoom is without competition. I would certainly try it.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 8:54 AM

Toallly agree a really rubbish lens GrinGrinGrin.

I used the Sigma 2x on the 120-300mm f2.8 os on these shots.

I admit though if you go to buy one check it out first before parting with the Money, make sure it focuses where it should, don't feel embarrassed to ask, remember your the customer, if that shop declines there is something wrong, don't buy.

By the way I am very aware this is an old post but I thought it was worthy of a reply Smile.

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2013 - 10:24 AM

Stunning images Ian & Gareth, many thanks for sharing; you have proved though that it is much more about the individual behind the lens rather than the lens itself; place a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 plus favourite converter on a table and watch it take pictures ... not Grin

If you can try such a lens before buying or have a cast iron guarantee from the retailer that they will refund if unhappy you may discover what problems it may present: handling, mis-focussing and so on.

More on Sigmas, I note from reviews etc that they are much less expensive than marque products, almost or the same standard in terms of image quality, sometimes the build quality can be less consistent: Monday morning or Friday afternoon versions, and if you ever decide to resell they don't hold their value as marque lenses do.

I am a thoroughlly disreputable tight fisted sonofabitch and therefore prefer to buy good s/h stuff but I guess s/h Sigma 120-300mm's are thin on the ground and soon snapped up?

G'luck, Peter.

Peter.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.