Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 on 20D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chinny
chinny  9492 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2006 - 8:05 AM

Hi,

I have just purchased a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 EX DG, sometimes when I have the focus mode on Al servo it wont let me depress the shutter? It works fine in the other modes I lost a few shots today because of this problem, have you heard of this problem? I also had an error 99 come up, but I was using a canonx2 converter.

Thanks Chin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2006 - 8:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BOB S
BOB S  122622 forum posts
21 Jan 2006 - 8:14 AM

With the 100-400 LIS in the bag what is the point of this lens ?

BOB

chinny
21 Jan 2006 - 8:32 AM

420mm @ F4 and 600mm at F5.6, both with AF yes the Canon is a great lens but its a little slow for what I want it for, I take it you dont know the answer to my question? but hey thanks for your interest ?? :O!

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2006 - 8:46 AM

Many of Sigma's lenses don't work properly on converters other than their own. Having said that, I have a 120-300 with an EF11 1.4x on and it works fine on a 300D and 1D!

Quote: With the 100-400 LIS in the bag what is the point of this lens ?

It's sharper!

Wink)

chinny
21 Jan 2006 - 9:05 AM

Ian, thanks I did have the Sigma x1.4 on at the time of the Al Servo fault, it was a very bright day so I don't think the camera had problems with light.

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2006 - 9:47 AM

As it is a new lens, you could try giving the contacts a clean ( a drop of Cigarette lighter fluid on a cloth works well).
See if that helps.

Ian

chinny
21 Jan 2006 - 10:57 AM

Cheers Ian, I will do that but I'd still like to find out why its not locking on Al servo mode, like i said its not doing it all the time, I thought Al servo mode you can fire at will? nothing stops the shutter from operating? Am I wrong ?

Cheers Chinny

Burgy_Tog
Burgy_Tog  10634 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2006 - 11:23 AM

it depends on the camera that you are shooting with, and how you have the custom functions set up.

There is a shutter/AF priority CF on the EOS1D(s), 1D(s)mkII and II N, which determines which takes priority AF or exposure, I haven't got mine in front of me, but a referral to the manual will point you in the right direction.

I also have the 120-300 and it is a cracking piece of glass, my 100-400 was retired after it's arrival, it works well on the 1d and the mkIIn

chinny
21 Jan 2006 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Paul, I like you will be thinking of retiring the 100-400, I cant have that lying around the house not being used it would be better of with pennies in my bank. thanks for the advice :o)

chinny
23 Jan 2006 - 10:50 AM

New problem to this thread: When I am in Al Servo Mode the camera shutter will not take an image, this happens occasionally, if I keep my finger on the shutter the camera then releases the shutter (relucantly) and then comes up with an error code99? So what is that all about ?? I have cleaned the contacts and rebooted the camera and taken a couple of hundred shots around my house(OK so now the camera is worthless) and I cant trip it up?? Do you think the problem was dirty contacts? This lens is BRAND NEW !!

CHEERS chin

chinny
26 Jan 2006 - 8:15 AM

Update on this thread: The A1Servo mode works fine on the lens with no Convertors, when I attach the x1.4 its ok but struggles, if I attach the x2 (not the same time as my 1.4) it finds it very difficult to use A1 Servo, but AF is spot on and works as it should do! Time to sell my 100-400 LIS I feel !!

:o)

Cheers Chinny

chinny
6 Apr 2006 - 10:52 AM

Any New owners of this lens? can you update this thread? I still have the problems !! to get round it I just dont use AI Servo ! very frustrating ! looks like its going back to Sigma ! (3 weeks without it !!!)

Thanks Paul

jk
jk  1236 forum posts England
6 Apr 2006 - 11:33 AM

Hi Chinny
I get an err message on the d100 when the lens is stopped down to f16 or smaller, but if I have either of the sigma converters fitted there is no problem what so ever.
On the D2Hs it works right through the range !. I put it down to the fine tolerence on the stop down mechanism in the D100 camera body it must be right on the limit, this is the only lens I've had a problem with on the d100.
Hope this helps.

MeanGreeny
6 Apr 2006 - 2:27 PM

With so many other people helping out what is the point in this answer ?

klewis
klewis  101870 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2006 - 3:08 PM

Chinny I have the same combo the 20D and Sigma 120-300f2.8 and I have has the same fault ie shutter wouldnt actuate. Remedy was turn the camera off and back on. It still does it from time to time but I havent figured out the reason but it works fine on the 1DMkII which is now where is spends most of its time

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.