Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM (Nikon Mount)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    25 Dec 2012 - 8:28 PM

Hi all, doing some reserach into Sigma lenses on Nikon D700. I would really apprecaite any views on the above lens on a Nikon D700. Also the Sigma 10-20mm on same camera. The reason I'm asking is because they are more affordable than Nikon. I have tried Nikon 70-300VR but found the majority were not sharp (more down to me thane the lens) I would like to get into wildlife photography.
    Any replies would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Dec 2012 - 8:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC
    EddieAC e2 Member 9679 forum postsEddieAC vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Dec 2012 - 1:13 AM

I don't have the 120-400mm but I do have the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon Fit Lens (there is also a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM) and I believe both of these would put the D700 into DX crop mode and you would be limited to images of around 5mp in size.

There is a Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Nikon-f which is suitable for Nikon FX full frame cameras. This may be of interest and further research.

This topic may be of some help in answering further questions and/or bringing to light further options.

EddieAC
    EddieAC e2 Member 9679 forum postsEddieAC vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Dec 2012 - 2:06 AM

I should add that when I said "Both of these would put the D700 into DX crop mode" I meant both versions of the Sigma 10-20. Upon re-reading my post I thought it looked like I could mean the Sigma 120-400mm also which is obviously an FX lens. Smile

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    26 Dec 2012 - 4:21 PM

Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply. I know 10-20 is DX and the images would be cropped but I would still end up with wide angle and perhaps equivalent to 17-35? My only worry is what would the quality be like would they be sharp? 12-24 you can't use a filter with the lens. I do still have my first lens Nikon D5000 which as you know is DX camera, I wouldn't want to carry 2 cameras plus kit on walks.

EddieAC
    26 Dec 2012 - 10:17 PM

It should still be sharp but you would just lose over half the sensors resolution. It would just make your images around 2592 x 1944 pixels in size.

Have you tried http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk? They are advertised on this site and you may find some affordable used lenses that could be of interest. I got a Tamron 90mm macro lens from them a while ago and would recommend them.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.