Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

sigma 150/500

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
matthecat48
31 May 2013 - 6:42 PM

anyone got a sigma 150/500 with positive feedback
am thinking off getting one for my canon 7d for getting that extra reach with bird photography.
cheers matthecat

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2013 - 6:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 6:45 PM

Quote: Anyone got a sigma 150/500 with positive feedback

Sorry, but does that mean you only want to hear from people who like the lens??
just curious.

Joe B

matthecat48
31 May 2013 - 8:49 PM

No definitely not.but hope there are more positive

Nigeve1
Nigeve1 e2 Member 1698 forum postsNigeve1 vcard United Kingdom81 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 8:53 PM

I have tried one briefly and the few shots I did take were very sharp, seems to have good optics. The downside was slow autofocus, but if you are happy with manual focus, the AF override by moving the focus ring seemed good.

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2013 - 9:14 PM

I't just that I have one, but overall not impressed. it's ok, at best, in the right lighting (bright sunshine) where you can stop it down a couple of clicks, not the sharpest (especially at the long end), not bad but not as sharp as my 300mm f4 prime with a 1.7x teleconverter & lacks contrast wide open. I've rarely used it since purchasing it and testing it out (it just sits in it's case in a drawer).
If you can get a lend of one to test for yourself I'd advise that as it may just be a quality control consistency problem & I may have a bit of a dud, but so do two other photographers I know who have them & they have the same opinion as I do.
basically it's useable in bright/contrasty light & stopped down a couple of stops.

My 2p

matthecat48
31 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for that.will definitely try before I buy.
On a pension now.so have to buy good and not let it sit in the drawer.
Thanks a lot.matty

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
icphoto
icphoto  131345 forum posts England
31 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

It's big, heavy but a damn good lens! Used with a monopod I have taken some decent shots with it in all conditions. Just forget about trying to hand hold it, you will not do it justice.

gavrelle
gavrelle  230 forum posts England
31 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Ihave the nikon fit version. i am happy with it. The Siggy lenses i do have, haven t dissappointed, but i have heard that there are variations in quality which may explain the differet opinions.

matthecat48
31 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Ok cheers.like most things.there are pro.s and cons.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 - 9:29 AM

It took me less than 90 seconds to find the MTF searching under sigma mtf MTFhttp://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/150-500mm-f5-63-apo-dg-os-hsm
I have not used the lens. The MTF shows the lens slightly soft in the extreme corners of 24x36 at the wide end, and very good at 500mm.
Sigma do not seem to mention the tested aperture.
At the price point it seems to have very good performance.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 1 Jun 2013 - 9:30 AM
Zoundz
Zoundz  5 Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jun 2013 - 11:21 AM

It's a really good lens for the price! Smile I really am happy with mine. Would obviously prefer a good prime lens, but lack of money wins out Wink

Nearly all my wildlife shots are taken on the 150-500 or the 50-500 (both Sigma).

xx

hcbph
hcbph  1
7 Jun 2013 - 11:42 AM

Though not the same lens, just picked up a Sigma 120-400mm, may be worth your consideration. I've only had a chance to do some test shots because the weather here has sucks lately, but what I've taken looks good. I'm shooting a Canon T4i and like what I've seen so far with this lens. If slightly less reach is acceptable, might be worth looking at. It was about $500 less than the 50-500mm and with the crop is worth around 650mm on my body. I like to shoot wildlife, landscapes and action like airshows so that's my intended use.
Just some thoughts.

matthecat48
7 Jun 2013 - 5:47 PM

Thanks for that.my canon has a crop and I have a 1/1/4 extender.matty

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2013 - 5:54 PM

Just in case you hadn't spotted it there is an ephotozine review here

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
9 Jun 2013 - 1:57 AM

Since getting mine, It's a great lens, stopped down to F8 it's sharp right the way to 500mm. Yes in low light the focus can struggle, I use BBF and AI servo to track BIF and it works fine. The OS works really well and makes it easier to frame when hand holding, a lot of the wildlife shots in my PF are taken with lens, all hand held. As with all lenses though I would recommend trying the actual lens before you buy. For more sample shots there is a group on Flickr dedicated to this lens

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.