Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 canon

4 Feb 2012 11:07AM
Hi i'm looking into buying the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 for the canon
Can anyone tell me if they have one or used one, and the pros and cons of the lens
Thanks Wessy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
4 Feb 2012 11:35AM
I use one on my Nikon.

Brilliant lens. Optically very sharp.

Drawbacks? Big and heavy (like any lens in that range), relatively slow aperture, especially at 500mm, slower AF than a Nikon 500mm prime (but less than 20% of the price), OS (VR/IS) noisy and battery-draining (but as you are likely to use it on a tripod, that doesn't matter)

Here's a picture taken with it (hand-held, OS off), 1/2000th, f/7.1, ISO 800.

gannet-in-flight.jpg

gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
4 Feb 2012 12:04PM
I have one which to be honest I do not use often not because of any problems with the lens but I take more landscape and macro images, on the times I have used it I have been very pleased with the results, ok its a little heavy but that will be the case with any long lens,buy a black rapid strap to accompany it and you will hardly notice the weight, I have not found an issue with noise and I find the AF to be very good, you can not compare it to a prime obviously but then the price does not either.

I recommend this lens especially at the price.
4 Feb 2012 12:18PM
Thank you for guiding me in the right direction, will there be any issues using it on the canon 60D, as it states it is for the full frame sensor.
gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
4 Feb 2012 12:24PM
I have the Canon 5D 2 full frame, I am pretty sure this lens will fit the 60D bearing in mind the 1.6 crop factor which will make the 500mm a 800mm.
mlanda e2
5 12 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 1:28PM
I use this lens on a 40D and 7D and have never had a problem. Yes its a bit heavy but then its a big lense.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
4 Feb 2012 3:25PM
Had one which I used with my 50D, no problems and excellent results. Go for it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.